IGNORED

Sony UDA-1 DAC/Integrated with J River MC MAC DoP question

I'm looking at the new Sony UDA-1 DAC/Integrated combo for an extra room equipped with a MacMini/JRMC19.I have a large library of DSD-files. I also use the MacMini to work on, and would like to avoid taking the BootCamp/Windows route.

Now it seems the Sony is NOT DoP-capable, I don't know if this is a driver or firmware issue. Sony supplies ASIO-driver for Windows, but nothing for MacOs, AFAIK.

Has anybody had any experience using the Sony UDA-1 for DSD-playback under Mac OSX?

Would Audirvana Plus work instead of JRMC19?

Just want to make sure I don't get the wrong product!

Any help appreciated!

Analog: Lyra Argo i>Rega RB-900>Rega P9>Holfi BattRiaa S.E.(RIAA); Digital: MacMini (Win8/Mavericks)>FW>Mytek 192 Stereo DSD; Power-Amp: ZapSolute mk.II 42W Solid State Class A>Speakers: ProAc Tablette 2000 signature; Headphones: Denon AH-D7000 (MarkL/Cardas); Korg MR-1 (Portable DSD-recorder)

I'm looking at the new Sony UDA-1 DAC/Integrated combo for an extra room equipped with a MacMini/JRMC19.I have a large library of DSD-files. I also use the MacMini to work on, and would like to avoid taking the BootCamp/Windows route.

Now it seems the Sony is NOT DoP-capable, I don't know if this is a driver or firmware issue. Sony supplies ASIO-driver for Windows, but nothing for MacOs, AFAIK.

Has anybody had any experience using the Sony UDA-1 for DSD-playback under Mac OSX?

Would Audirvana Plus work instead of JRMC19?

Just want to make sure I don't get the wrong product!

Any help appreciated!

I bought that unit. I don't know your answer as I am a PC guy, but I called sony on another issue, and I was able to talk to support within minutes. The first person wasn't able to help me, and they gave me another phone number to call for 2nd level support....just a thought if no one else can respond.

That's one issue with buying a new product...you won't find much forum support specific to that device...but it sounds nice -grin.

I bought that unit. I don't know your answer as I am a PC guy, but I called sony on another issue, and I was able to talk to support within minutes. The first person wasn't able to help me, and they gave me another phone number to call for 2nd level support....just a thought if no one else can respond.

That's one issue with buying a new product...you won't find much forum support specific to that device...but it sounds nice -grin.

Thanks for your answer. Called Sony support, they haven't got a clue!

In the meantime I found this review:

Sony UDA-1 review from the experts at whathifi.com

The interesting bit is in the text just above the blown up picture of the remote control: 'We hope the forthcoming dedicated Mac driver software helps here.'

I wonder where they got this info from.

Mike, do you use the UDA-1 with J River or Sony's accompanying App? If J River, I was wondering if you could try changing the settings to DoP-bitsreaming instead to see if it Works?

Thanks again, Allan

Analog: Lyra Argo i>Rega RB-900>Rega P9>Holfi BattRiaa S.E.(RIAA); Digital: MacMini (Win8/Mavericks)>FW>Mytek 192 Stereo DSD; Power-Amp: ZapSolute mk.II 42W Solid State Class A>Speakers: ProAc Tablette 2000 signature; Headphones: Denon AH-D7000 (MarkL/Cardas); Korg MR-1 (Portable DSD-recorder)

Thanks for your answer. Called Sony support, they haven't got a clue!

In the meantime I found this review:

Sony UDA-1 review from the experts at whathifi.com

The interesting bit is in the text just above the blown up picture of the remote control: 'We hope the forthcoming dedicated Mac driver software helps here.'

I wonder where they got this info from.

Mike, do you use the UDA-1 with J River or Sony's accompanying App? If J River, I was wondering if you could try changing the settings to DoP-bitsreaming instead to see if it Works?

Thanks again, Allan

I have jriver...i never even tried sony's ap.

I am newbie at this stuff, and don't even know what this DoP is, but if you can tell steps, i would be glad to help.

Great, I should have asked first if you actually play DSD-files (.dsf, .dff)

In JRMC, choose Tools>Options>Audio/Settings/Bitstreaming>DSD over PCM(DoP) checked; uncheck 'DSD'.

If the UDA-1 can still play back DSD-files with this setting, it's my understanding the DAC is DoP-capable.

A word of warning, though: make sure you turn down the volumen before attempting playback, on some devices you may get loud static or white noise that can damage your ears, tweeters or headphones!!

I'm not 100% familiar with JRMC-settings either, but I have successfully troubleshooted a couple of set-ups...

Thanks again

Great, I should have asked first if you actually play DSD-files (.dsf, .dff)

In JRMC, choose Tools>Options>Audio/Settings/Bitstreaming>DSD over PCM(DoP) checked; uncheck 'DSD'.

If the UDA-1 can still play back DSD-files with this setting, it's my understanding the DAC is DoP-capable.

A word of warning, though: make sure you turn down the volumen before attempting playback, on some devices you may get loud static or white noise that can damage your ears, tweeters or headphones!!

I'm not 100% familiar with JRMC-settings either, but I have successfully troubleshooted a couple of set-ups...

Thanks again

Yes, i have a few dsd files i can test with...i am going to bed now...what am i doing up (grin).

I will test after dinner tomorrow and look for response 7pm pst or so...

Yes, i have a few dsd files i can test with...i am going to bed now...what am i doing up (grin).

I will test after dinner tomorrow and look for response 7pm pst or so...

i see Tools>Options>Audio/Settings/Bitstreaming>DSD

but nothing about DoP there?

The default setting is none, which worked fine for playing DSF files.

hmmm...when i select DSD yes (instead of default none) i got an error...i will play with tomorrow.

audiogate.gif

I also use audiogate (mainly because simple interface and seems to work for most anything i throw at it without tweeks)...although very limited features.

The first picture is the error i got when i change bitstream to DSD.

jriver does play dsd files ...just not sure about this DoP stuff...i don't even see DoP where you thought it would be in the jriver configuration?

jriverdff.gif

jriversettings.gif

dop_error.gif

Thanks so much for your help - you'd better get some sleep!!

AudioGate from Korg will transcode to PCM (i.e. it converts to a PCM simple rate and bit depth on the fly, so it does not provide 'native' dsd-playback) unless you are on a newer version than me (, which I believe is only supplied with Korg's own DACs). J River can perform the same trick, but shouldn't need to with the Sony's ASIO-driver chosen as your Audio Output Device.

Thanks so much for your help - you'd better get some sleep!!

AudioGate from Korg will transcode to PCM (i.e. it converts to a PCM simple rate and bit depth on the fly, so it does not provide 'native' dsd-playback) unless you are on a newer version than me (, which I believe is only supplied with Korg's own DACs). J River can perform the same trick, but shouldn't need to with the Sony's ASIO-driver chosen as your Audio Output Device.

i have the new version of audiogate. i was using asio driver first, but changed to wasapi for some other reason which i forget now...but it was working already.

with jriver, in the output section you can specify what sampling rate to choose, and i have it set at the same rate as the file.