IGNORED

Samsung Galaxy S5 Has 24/192 DAC

bugstone

"The audio is wired to a new 24-bit / 192 kHz DAC"

So what ?

Numbers don't mean anything.

Any known DAC manufacturer, filter characteristic, audio engineer, white paper, press release (in order of significance for rating this statement) behind it?

Samsun isn't exactly the company I would blindly trust any statement with regard to audio quality even though I honor their expertise in memory storages.

Can't speak to the quality of it, but I would be surprised if Samsung claimed a 24/192 DAC and didn't have it. People are going to test this out and see if it is true. No advantage to them getting embarrassed by such a claim should it not be true.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Can't speak to the quality of it, but I would be surprised if Samsung claimed a 24/192 DAC and didn't have it. People are going to test this out and see if it is true. No advantage to them getting embarrassed by such a claim should it not be true.

.....and the addition of such a DAC is IMO gimmicky and takes advantage of a lot of predisposed notions about digital SQ.

.....and the addition of such a DAC is IMO gimmicky and takes advantage of a lot of predisposed notions about digital SQ.

No disagreement from me.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

We'll just have to wait and see which chip they went with and how it is implemented (and the true quality it does or does not provide). Most of the past Galaxy S/Galaxy Note models have had different DAC chips depending on whether it is a U.S. domestic or "International" version, so that is something to watch for as well.

Obviously, "Hi-Res" portable audio is becoming more and more popular and desirable in the general public's eyes...er, ears...especially in the smartphone/PMP segment.

At least this is another step towards higher quality portable audio...even if it's a failure, because Samsung will surely hear about it either way (good or bad) from the audio press and community...which will hopefully drive them to improve the next iteration. Time will tell.

Just an FYI, Samsung is getting into high-end audio in a big way in the near future.

Big Samsung fan here...love my samsung tv and samsung blu-ray (sacd/dsd/dlna/web brower under $100). THey were one of first to offer blu-ray with real web browser. I also have their Samsung note, Samsung Mega, and Samsung Galxay tablet.

I wanted to buy their stock big time after my CES 2011 visit, but it wasn't available on US markets (would have easily doubled my investment).... I have always been impressed with their quality/technology.

Not much point to having a DAC that will support hires if there isn't adequate on-board storage for ones music files. Good news is that, according to Maximum PC, the S5 will also have a microSD card slot with support for memory cards up to 128GB.

What about streaming? I can stream 96k/24bit from my Synology DS to my Moto X using the DS Audio app. Wouldn't streaming hi-rez still pass through the DAC?

Big Samsung fan here [...] They were one of first to offer blu-ray with real web browser.

I shan't ask why a BluRay player needs a "real" web browser...

Eloise

PS I do have a Samsung TV and computer monitor so have nothing against Samsung...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just an FYI, Samsung is getting into high-end audio in a big way in the near future.

it's a company that deliberately limits life of it's panel tv's and also limits the capability of them to be repaired. This is negative to the consumer and to the environment, and should be criticized. Samsung is in my black list for it's lack of ethics.

it's a company that deliberately limits life of it's panel tv's and also limits the capability of them to be repaired. This is negative to the consumer and to the environment, and should be criticized. Samsung is in my black list for it's lack of ethics.

Could you please share links indicating what Samsung has been doing in this area?

I find this very interesting as I am personally very sensitive to this issue.

My awareness of this question started when I discovered that, while I have to replace my smoothing iron every three years, my mother owns one, bought in the 1960s, which she inherited from my late grandmother and which still works flawlessly.

Could you please share links indicating what Samsung has been doing in this area?

I find this very interesting as I am personally very sensitive to this issue.

My awareness of this question started when I discovered that, while I have to replace my smoothing iron every three years, my mother owns one, bought in the 1960s, which she inherited from my late grandmother and which still works flawlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-XGn32vYQU

L'obsolescence programmée des appareils électroniques - France Info

examples of samsung making condensers hard to repair, difficult placement, and to find parts...

Unfortunately I do not see how it can help sound your phone any better. Accordingly Android design audio flinger remix everything in 16 bit. Check Android API here, as you can see here is no constant for PCM_24BIT. So there is only way for applications to go to on low level and become not quite portable. So I am expecting more work from Google to make Android API more audiophile friendly than efforts coming from hardware manufacturers. However you own any opposite information, then please share.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately I do not see how it can help sound your phone any better. Accordingly Android design audio flinger remix everything in 16 bit. Check Android API here, as you can see here is no constant for PCM_24BIT. So there is only way for applications to go to on low level and become not quite portable. So I am expecting more work from Google to make Android API more audiophile friendly than efforts coming from hardware manufacturers. However you own any opposite information, then please share.

I think those companies uses modified codes or something for proper 24bit output.

기획 기사 - 최신형 스마트폰 3종 + AK120 음질비교 - 2부 (테스트 결과)

LG G2 (very first smartphone being advertised as capable of playing 24/192 as with their hugely popular quadbeat IEMs) does legit 24bit, for instance, shown above link.

There is an interesting statement.

On one hand you would think it is much too small an over-all market. On the other, there is a good potential to build an ecosystem with inter-supporting/playing products.

Do you have any more info for us Chris?

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

• 3 weeks later...
I think those companies uses modified codes or something for proper 24bit output.

LG G2 (very first smartphone being advertised as capable of playing 24/192 as with their hugely popular quadbeat IEMs) does legit 24bit, for instance, shown above link.

They may, but you will be restricted to use only players coming from Samsung, so it isn't a big value for millions using third party players as

Neutron or Kamerton