IGNORED

Best Bookshelf for Under £100/$165

So I've seen all of these topics about speakers costing thousands and quite frankly I can't afford anywhere near that.

I'd prefer it to be black and to look nice.

Only got £60/$100 although I could stretch.

Also, can be a little bit more and I'll have to buy it second hand.

Some ideas:

Cambridge Audio S30 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Sound Plaza

Bowers & Wilkins DS1 Stereo Speakers | eBay

Pioneer SB-bs22-lr are the obvious choice. Rave reviews for their price and performance.

+1

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

Designed by Andrew Jones!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I have and love the Cambridge Audio S30s for my home office system. Surprisingly good bass for the size. Great sound stage and imaging. They work for nearfield listing and can also fill a small room. I got a pretty big desk (64 inches wide) but the size is ideal.

I've had them for about 4 years and have tried to "upgrade" them, but each time the S30s beat the speakers I tried to upgrade to.

First up were Energy CB 10s. Bass was not as defined, treble was nice and clear but a little bright on some recordings, soundstage not as good at near field levels.

Pioneer SP BS21s. Just too plain of a sound to me. Nothing exciting. Not efficient either (84dB).

Pioneer SP BS41s. Better and good imaging on these than the BS21s. Better bass. I kept them and gave to my brother and he likes them, but they were too tall for desktop use and still didn't sound as good as the s30s.

I also heard (but not in my system) some Wharfedale 10.1s and thought the S30s had better treble detail and imaging than those.

S30s don't get much respect but I think they're more than respectable. A boutique audio store in the USA (Mapleshade) used to mod them and sell for more so they must be pretty good. I can recommend them.

I bet the newer version of the Pioneers mentioned are good too, but the older version couldn't hang with the S30s in my system, in my office. I'm still looking to upgrade, but probably stretching the budget to $400-$500 and may go active monitors.

I have and love the Cambridge Audio S30s for my home office system. Surprisingly good bass for the size. Great sound stage and imaging. They work for nearfield listing and can also fill a small room. I got a pretty big desk (64 inches wide) but the size is ideal.

I've had them for about 4 years and have tried to "upgrade" them, but each time the S30s beat the speakers I tried to upgrade to.

First up were Energy CB 10s. Bass was not as defined, treble was nice and clear but a little bright on some recordings, soundstage not as good at near field levels.

Pioneer SP BS21s. Just too plain of a sound to me. Nothing exciting. Not efficient either (84dB).

Pioneer SP BS41s. Better and good imaging on these than the BS21s. Better bass. I kept them and gave to my brother and he likes them, but they were too tall for desktop use and still didn't sound as good as the s30s.

I also heard (but not in my system) some Wharfedale 10.1s and thought the S30s had better treble detail and imaging than those.

S30s don't get much respect but I think they're more than respectable. A boutique audio store in the USA (Mapleshade) used to mod them and sell for more so they must be pretty good. I can recommend them.

I bet the newer version of the Pioneers mentioned are good too, but the older version couldn't hang with the S30s in my system, in my office. I'm still looking to upgrade, but probably stretching the budget to $400-$500 and may go active monitors.

Somebody else recommended these too. I will have a look at a few more reviews before deciding but I'm glad to hear they are good.

If you can stretch, get those Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. I think the Stereophile reviews indicate it is a more pleasing speaker than the Pioneer, and you'll be supporting a British company, which I think might be important to you. That deal you linked to is a good one.

Are they worth it over the 9.0's as I have found them for £40?