IGNORED

Budget Docks and Hi-Fi's - Beginner Help

What would I be looking at spending for my first Hi-Fi system. Please take into account that I want to spend as little as possible (I'm still in highschool/only 16) and don't have a lot of money.

Looking for a basic Amplifier, CD, Radio/DAB with a pair of floorstanders. I would rather save up longer and get a decent brand for my amp like Yamaha rather than something tacky that will break in a few years for example.

P.S. Is Yamaha a decent brand for an amp ops: Like I said I'm only 16 and have little experience other than what I know from my dad.

Thanks guys

Also, I have around £100 to spend on a docking station for my iPod. I have found one which is £100 and was wondering if it is the best to buy in this price range. It should of been £300 smile.gif Link below.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-docks,-speakers-and-portables/logitech/ue-air-speaker/logi-ue-air-speaker

I've looked at what I call "decent" and I think I'm looking at about £250-£400, any good? (second hand btw)

Lewis; it may be difficult to wait; but my advise would be to save up a little more and get...

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 amplifier (£80)

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers (£40)

And 3.5mm to RCA cable (£1.50 ish)

Will sound better (in my opinion) than any speaker dock system and gives you a basis for future upgrades.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I agree with the second hand idea!

I used to buy all my stereo stuff new, but found I can get far better sounding equipment when buying second hand for far less money :-)

I would agree with Eloise, reasonable amp and speakers should sound better than a dock.

I have in my kitchen my old Squeezebox2 (bought new ages ago) and old Adcom power amp (bought 2nd hand £200) and a set of xdem Rega R1's (£150) and I would say it is leaps and bounds ahead of my sisters £450 dock... But my set up is not of course as easy to carry around ;-)

Best thing take your favorite track and listen to a few set ups, see what you like the sound of best.

Lewis - listen to Eloise - that is awesome value for the money.

A good set of headphones run from phone or computer is the other value for money alternative.

There are many good to choose from at or below £100.

Ask here at CA or at Head-fi.org.

And good luck!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Thanks a lot for your help and consideration guys. I would like to know about how I would go about playing music through an amp as I would need DAC/Tuners/CD Players' to play music through and these cost money that I have not got (yet).

Also, would it be best to put the system on a desk at the end of my bed with my telly on the wall (now on the desk). My room is just big enough for two double beds and the system would have to go next to my desk which means the system would be no where near me/not facing me.

Sorry, I just seen the RCA to 3.5mm Jack post in Eloise post and obviously I would just connect that to my iPhone/iPod/iPad and such things. Thanks. Also, given the cable is only a cheap, nasty cable, would it not be worth investing in a £5-10+ cable considering I hear a lot about how cables affect the sound on here.

Thanks a lot for your help and consideration guys. I would like to know about how I would go about playing music through an amp as I would need DAC/Tuners/CD Players' to play music through and these cost money that I have not got (yet). .

The 3.5mm to RCA cable is so that you (for now) can use the DAC build into your iPod, phone or computer.

Also, would it be best to put the system on a desk at the end of my bed with my telly on the wall (now on the desk). My room is just big enough for two double beds and the system would have to go next to my desk which means the system would be no where near me/not facing me.

Not sure what to say except try it out and make sure you can be comfortable while listening ;-)

The 3.5mm to RCA cable is so that you (for now) can use the DAC build into your iPod, phone or computer.

Not sure what to say except try it out and make sure you can be comfortable while listening ;-)

Yeah I was thinking that. I'll speak to my parents and give it a whirl. Also, my dad has a Yamaha amp at his house which is really good which he got second hand a while back off my Uncle. It's years old. Also, he has the CA amp previously mentioned which I don't think he uses so I guess I can borrow that until I buy my own. He's a dick and he won't give it me (not like I expect it) but yeah haha, don't get much off him.

Lewis

Did your iPod come with EarPods?

They actually have extremely good sound and are very resonable price - £25 in the UK

And they are much better than the old Apple ear buds.

Some people with iPods or iPhones upgrade to headphones, you may be able to pick some up for free from a friend or relative.

Ripping your CD's to lossless rather than MP3 gives you the best sound and for free. :-)

Lewis

Did your iPod come with EarPods?

They actually have extremely good sound and are very resonable price - £25 in the UK

And they are much better than the old Apple ear buds.

Some people with iPods or iPhones upgrade to headphones, you may be able to pick some up for free from a friend or relative.

Ripping your CD's to lossless rather than MP3 gives you the best sound and for free. :-)

I have one of the oldest iPods, I don't even think it can even get iOS7. My iPhone came with the old earphones but my parents both have iPhone 5/S's and I have used them, they do sound really well.

However, I know they are basically a sin but I have some Beats by Dre Studios. I got them for £100 (was £280 when I bought) and they actually are pretty good.