IGNORED

Marantz M-CR510... Great device

So essentially, the M-CR510 replaces the Airport Express, the DAC and the integrated amp? Is there any advantage to my current set-up? I could certainly see using the M-CR510 in my office at work, as Eloise described in her first post.

Yes it replaces all those. No advantage unless you want a smaller footprint and less clutter. Spotify is available right in the Marantz so that MIGHT be a slight advantage to streaming it from your phone. Also, you can control all aspects of the Marantz with an iPad or your phone including volume, source selection, etc.

David

• 3 weeks later...
So in summary as far as 24/192 stereo streaming goes to a set of speakers right now we've got:

Bluesound available now

This Marantz (but it struggles with 24/192 via wifi)

NAD but no built in streamer?

NAIM?

Auralic..maybe coming...depends on the final lineup ? wifi?

Linn but no wifi

There is a Sony streamer like this now?? Is this wifi?

Olive One coming ? when?

Is that pretty much it?

I've got my HP laptop wirelessly connected to an AppleTV and use a program called AirParrot to duplicate whatever is playing on the laptop on my AV system. The problem is there are dropouts so I use an Ethernet connection. The sound is great with this connection and I can play Jriver, spotify etc. I appreciate AppleTV doesn't do Hi-Rez but is there another cheap box that does and is there something similar to AirParrot that doesn't suffer dropouts?

I've got my HP laptop wirelessly connected to an AppleTV and use a program called AirParrot to duplicate whatever is playing on the laptop on my AV system. The problem is there are dropouts so I use an Ethernet connection. The sound is great with this connection and I can play Jriver, spotify etc. I appreciate AppleTV doesn't do Hi-Rez but is there another cheap box that does and is there something similar to AirParrot that doesn't suffer dropouts?

Ok to answer the second part of my own question....seems like the dropout issue is poor wifi signal related so going to get a better router (oddly airplay works fine but sounds worse, don't know why). The other thing I discovered is wireless sounds better than wired Ethernet.

Any thoughts on my first question: Is there an alternative to AppleTV that play Hi-res? or another way to play Hi-res wirelessly from my Laptop?

Cheers!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone

I was "the one", LOL, who was crazy/stupid/dumb/insane enough to connect the M-CR510 to TAD Evolution I speakers, and then start to scratch my head about High End Audio technologies and prices.

The story is quite simple. Back to November 2014, associated with Magnat Quantum Edelstein speakers, the M-CR510 was the christmas and birthday gift for my younger 27 years old son.

I tested this setup in my smaller audio room, and got the feeling that the speakers were the limiting factor of this association. So I connected my Klinger Favre D56 speakers to the M-CR510, to discover both a very high level of precision AND fluidity AND "natural". The Klinger Favre D56 are high end monitoring speakers that have no mercy with any source and amplifier slightest defaults.

So I took the Marantz under my arm to go down to my larger audio room and connect it to my TAD speakers… These TAD are the same kind of "no mercy" speakers as the KF, in big format.

I start talking about it to my closest audio friends, and they definitively thought I was joking. But it was not april fools' day.

When they visited me, they made the same finding as me…

And they started to buy M-CR510 as basis for a second or third audio system.

The findings were also quite disappointing to those, as me, who already spent fortunes on their audio systems.

I made my public "coming out" about this Marantz, because of a guy on the french forum who was again and again and again saying that audio reviewers were all dishonest, got backsheesh from manufacturers, etc, etc. The M-CR510 was the opportunity to shut his mouth.

Some other guys on the french forum were enough curious to give the Marantz a try.

"MrLocoLuciano" opened a thread on the forum, and this thread is now about 250 pages.

I wrote a mini review here last december:

AUDIOPHILE MAGAZINE - Marantz M-CR510

What makes me quite merry is that people who could never afford 1000(0)(0)$ electronics have discovered High Quality Audio though this M-CR510, with a very easy to setup, and can focus the main part of their budget on speakers.

For those who wants to "try" to understand why this Marantz is so good, here are some elements:

- no computer audio, no USB impedance and electric issues, no OS issues: tracks arrive from UPNP server

- no usual DAC, the tracks are directly converted from PCM to PWM which is the digital format used by Class D amplifier.

So the audio path is: track-PWM conversion-amplification. Hard to design a shortest path.

Of course there are limitations: distortion when the volume gets "too high" (more than about 50-60%), limited power and current.

So speakers with an impedance curve that goes below 4 Ohms, or too low efficiency speakers for the room size, are not recommended.

Kind regards

Thierry