IGNORED

Budget Docks and Hi-Fi's

What would I be looking at spending for my first Hi-Fi system. Please take into account that I want to spend as little as possible (I'm still in highschool/only 16) and don't have a lot of money.

Looking for a basic Amplifier, CD, Radio/DAB with a pair of floorstanders. I would rather save up longer and get a decent brand for my amp like Yamaha rather than something tacky that will break in a few years for example.

P.S. Is Yamaha a decent brand for an amp :oops: Like I said I'm only 16 and have little experience other than what I know from my dad.

Thanks guys

Also, I have around £100 to spend on a docking station for my iPod. I have found one which is £100 and was wondering if it is the best to buy in this price range. It should of been £300 :)

Logitech UE AIR SPEAKER | AirPlay Speaker Dock | Richer Sounds

Welcome Lewis. Let the pre-owned and used marketplace be your friend. You'll probobly be heading off to university soon enough.....and a pair of floor standing speakers might not be the practical approach for travel....and space?

There's some excellent self powered studio monitors that will get plenty loud for entertaining but detailed and subtle enough for critical one on one listening. This way, you won't need to purchase an amp or receiver and such.

A pair of used Behringer 2031A active monitors should set you back £250 or so. I would task your computer as the primary playback source. Rip your CD collection for playback which can also include net radio and streaming services. I wouldn't invest anything on am iPod dock......let it remain the portable device it is. To connect your computer to the Behringer monitors, look for a USB DAC with headphone amplifier.....this way you can listen at whatever level you like and not disturb others.......that will be a big plus for dormitory living. Maybe the Aune X1 or a Sanskrit. Very affordable and great values on Ebay.co.uk.

Good luck and enjoy!

Won't be at Uni for at least 2 years and if I do go it will be one close (close enough to live at home) so travel and space is no problem really. What is a self powered studio monitor and how is it compared to normal speakers :oops: About the Behringer, was looking at something cheaper than that as I have a job but it's part-time and rather flexible (only work some weekends and varied pay) so I get between £10-£30 a go and it would take a while to get to that price range, hence the docking station I showed as it's cheaper and portable if I go out with my friends it's a lot easier. Also, the Docking Station would only be until I can get enough money for a decent Hi-Fi. What does a USB DAC actually do? Connect the speakers to my PC?

Thanks alot mayhem :) Big help.

Sorry Lewis....I misunderstood your request and what you're looking to do. I came into HiFi a few years before you so I remember my own experiences.......and disappointments. Here in New York as a teenager, I can recall walking around legendary HiFi shops not being able to afford most of what I wanted at the time.

Sadly, I have little experience with today's portable gear so I can't be of much help.

Sorry Lewis....I misunderstood your request and what you're looking to do. I came into HiFi a few years before you so I remember my own experiences.......and disappointments. Here in New York as a teenager, I can recall walking around legendary HiFi shops not being able to afford most of what I wanted at the time.

Sadly, I have little experience with today's portable gear so I can't be of much help.

Decided I'm going to just go for a straight Hi-Fi system now :) Thanks though.