IGNORED

Observations on the audio opinions of the unwashed masses

Kimo

On the subject of people listening for background vs. a more involved experience, I also think the type of music a person prefers influences how much time, money, and effort he/she wants to dedicate to maximizing the sound quality of his/her system. If he is a top-40 FM radio listening, a Samsung clock radio might do the trick, and spending more than that seems like lunacy. On the other hand, if you have season tickets to the Symphony or frequent the local jazz clubs, that Samsung might as well be a paperweight. This is generally the divide I experience with my family and friends.

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

I think it comes down to whether music is something to be played in the background or an integral part of your life.

No doubt about it. The overriding prerequisite for "audiophiledom" seems to be a passion for music. It has always been a crucial part of my life, and I can't imagine life without it. If you don't have that passion, then the idea of spending so much time, effort, and money on audio is pointless. When I was kid I was passionate about two things: music and electronics. Without the emphasis on music, my electronics passion would probably have manifested itself in something like Amateur Radio and, indeed, I did dabble in that, but it didn't grab me like audio did.

George

On the topic of the thread I have found that 95% of people can't hear any differnce or , a bit more common , just don't really care even if they hear a differnce . It's so easy to see when someone "gets it", but that's not my usual experience.

Sad to say, but most people would have more much much much More fun being wowed by home theatre killer sound scape thrills than , say, the uncanny in the room-ness of a jazz trip percussion and such .

+1

George

No one else finds these kinds of gratuitous sexist comments objectionable?

Not me. Since I am (to quote Conan Doyle) "not a wholehearted admirer of womankind", I find that most of these comments that you seem to find sexist to be mostly true. If a guy wants to be married, then the differences between the male and female psyche are bound to create some problems. The reality is that in order for a marriage to work, you have to find a way to get around those clashes. You want a new amp, for instance. She wants new curtains - deal with it and remember, that in spite of her insistence that the new curtains are for the house and therefore for the BOTH of you, the reality is that the curtains, new paint in the bedroom, new sofa, etc., ARE her version of a new amplifier. Most women I know don't like their music loud because they want to talk while you want to listen. They don't care about your need to listen, and while they might well hear better than you, the sound is as unimportant to them as new curtains in the bedroom are unimportant to you. Passionate about your hobbies and interests? My advice is to stay single. The freedom from domesticity is more liberating than you can possibly imagine. Casual girlfriends (with "benefits") is the way to go. In today's world, there is no need to buy the candy store when the candy is free.

George

On the subject of people listening for background vs. a more involved experience, I also think the type of music a person prefers influences how much time, money, and effort he/she wants to dedicate to maximizing the sound quality of his/her system. If he is a top-40 FM radio listening, a Samsung clock radio might do the trick, and spending more than that seems like lunacy. On the other hand, if you have season tickets to the Symphony or frequent the local jazz clubs, that Samsung might as well be a paperweight. This is generally the divide I experience with my family and friends.

That might be true to a certain extent (is there STILL a such thing as "Top 40 Radio"?), I think that it's more fundamental than that. While there are certainly audiophiles who revere the popular music of their generation, and might listen to it almost exclusively, Not all lovers of pop music are audiophiles by any stretch of the term. I have made a casual study of people who follow pop music for most of my life, and I find that many, if not most, people who like pop music aren't really interested in the instrumental part of these songs at all. If you enquire you will find that often a song becomes popular because of the LYRICS, not the music. Had I a dollar for every time someone has said to me "I love this song... just listen to the words", I'd have a lot more disposable income than I do! The "words" aren't generally enhanced by a good stereo system. These people can hear what they like about the songs they admire just as easily on a AM table radio as they can on a Hi-Res download played on a megabuck hi-fi system. Sure, I'm generalizing here. I know that, but I'm generalizing with my observations no more than was the previous poster to whom I'm responding.

George

That might be true to a certain extent (is there STILL a such thing as "Top 40 Radio"?), I think that it's more fundamental than that. While there are certainly audiophiles who revere the popular music of their generation, and might listen to it almost exclusively, Not all lovers of pop music are audiophiles by any stretch of the term. I have made a casual study of people who follow pop music for most of my life, and I find that many, if not most, people who like pop music aren't really interested in the instrumental part of these songs at all. If you enquire you will find that often a song becomes popular because of the LYRICS, not the music. Had I a dollar for every time someone has said to me "I love this song... just listen to the words", I'd have a lot more disposable income than I do! The "words" aren't generally enhanced by a good stereo system. These people can hear what they like about the songs they admire just as easily on a AM table radio as they can on a Hi-Res download played on a megabuck hi-fi system. Sure, I'm generalizing here. I know that, but I'm generalizing with my observations no more than was the previous poster to whom I'm responding.

Conversely, I like a lot of popular music, but I *only* listen to the music - I never know / learn the words at all. I have no clue what most of the songs are about - I just like the way they sound :/

As a big classical / jazz fan, perhaps that makes sense in your model.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Not me. Since I am (to quote Conan Doyle) "not a wholehearted admirer of womankind", I find that most of these comments that you seem to find sexist to be mostly true. If a guy wants to be married, then the differences between the male and female psyche are bound to create some problems. The reality is that in order for a marriage to work, you have to find a way to get around those clashes. You want a new amp, for instance. She wants new curtains - deal with it and remember, that in spite of her insistence that the new curtains are for the house and therefore for the BOTH of you, the reality is that the curtains, new paint in the bedroom, new sofa, etc., ARE her version of a new amplifier. Most women I know don't like their music loud because they want to talk while you want to listen. They don't care about your need to listen, and while they might well hear better than you, the sound is as unimportant to them as new curtains in the bedroom are unimportant to you. Passionate about your hobbies and interests? My advice is to stay single. The freedom from domesticity is more liberating than you can possibly imagine. Casual girlfriends (with "benefits") is the way to go. In today's world, there is no need to buy the candy store when the candy is free.

"Pickering, why can't a woman be more like a man?"

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Not me. Since I am (to quote Conan Doyle) "not a wholehearted admirer of womankind", I find that most of these comments that you seem to find sexist to be mostly true.

Speaking as a wholehearted admirer of womankind (with some of my other parts also in the chorus), I can only suggest that women take umbrage at being dismissed this way for the same reasons that those who love solid state amplifiers hate being dismissed by tube huggers. Don't get me wrong - there are a LOT of women whose mere presence raises my gastric acid level to the ceiling. But they'd have the same effect on me if they were men.

If a guy wants to be married, then the differences between the male and female psyche are bound to create some problems. The reality is that in order for a marriage to work, you have to find a way to get around those clashes.

Reality is that you have to enjoy the union more than you dislike being with someone who doesn't share your every joy. For example (and there are many!), my wife of 42 years has turned on a television every time she's walked into any room that has one wherever we've lived since I met her. Why? I have no friggin' idea - but she seems to like hearing the same stupid shows in the background, and it makes her happy. That's why there are headphones.

When you hire a musician for your band, you want someone who cares more about the music than the sound of his or her own instrument. Music made by an orchestra of soloists is rarely great. There are classic enmities, disagreements, jealousies etc among musicians, too - but the great ones don't let them interfere with the music they make together.

Most women I know don't like their music loud because they want to talk while you want to listen. They don't care about your need to listen, and while they might well hear better than you, the sound is as unimportant to them as new curtains in the bedroom are unimportant to you

Ahh - but they do care about your need to listen. They just labor under what you obviously believe is a misconception that your need to listen is more important than their desire to talk. It's actually possible to do some of each - and seeing your partner's joy and engagement in both is pretty fine (although I agree that at times a deep, funky groove or a majestic symphony may be an even match for it). Best of all, when we listen together my wife likes it loud too.

Passionate about your hobbies and interests? My advice is to stay single. The freedom from domesticity is more liberating than you can possibly imagine. Casual girlfriends (with "benefits") is the way to go. In today's world, there is no need to buy the candy store when the candy is free.

That's great if all you want is candy. Just brush your teeth regularly and don't forget your insulin. Some of us prefer a more balanced diet and even begin to enjoy stuff we hated as a kid.

Pssst - wanna trade that cheese for a Mounds bar????

"Pickering, why can't a woman be more like a man?"

Wit apologies to Bernard Shaw (not to mention Lerner and Lowe), that would be elementary purpose defeating, now wouldn't it? Nice thought though.

To quote George "Kingfish" Stevens from "Amos 'n Andy":

"You know Andy, marriage is a wonderful thing. It's just too bad there's gotta be a woman messed-up in the thing someplace!"

George

This is a great example of live and let live. I don't think I have ever disagreed with you more, but then, my wife is also my best friend and the person I enjoy and want to spend time with. Among other things. I know some gay couples that feel the same way about each other, so I am not even sure that it is sex based, but finding your best friend and getting to be with them often - that's special. Sex is [redacted] a great bonus as well. :)

All of which means I have absolutely no understanding at all of your thinking in this matter.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This is a great example of live and let live. I don't think I have ever disagreed with you more, but then, my wife is also my best friend and the person I enjoy and want to spend time with. All of which means I have absolutely no understanding at all of your thinking in this matter.

I would agree. My wife actually buys me new equipment for my birthday or Xmas. She is not a big fan of King Crimson, Cynic, Porcupine Tree, or Dream Theater, so I don't crank that music while she is around. A small concession.

She does occasionally nag me about picking up another tube amp, however.

This is a great example of live and let live. I don't think I have ever disagreed with you more, but then, my wife is also my best friend and the person I enjoy and want to spend time with. Among other things. I know some gay couples that feel the same way about each other, so I am not even sure that it is sex based, but finding your best friend and getting to be with them often - that's special. Sex is [redacted] a great bonus as well. :)

All of which means I have absolutely no understanding at all of your thinking in this matter.

That's OK, Paul. Lots of people feel as you do. In fact, I would go so far as to say that your beliefs, vis-à-vis marriage are, of course normal, while mine are somewhat unusual. In fact, civilization, as we know it, couldn't exist without the institution of marriage. I'm just happy that there is no law requiring one to be married. If there were, I would be one miserable audiophile! The idea of living with someone is simply anathema to me. Add to that the fact that I do not value female companionship beyond the very superficial, and the fact that I am not comfortable with the kind of intimacy marriage requires (not talking about physical intimacy, here), and I find that I'm just not suited to matrimony. On the plus side, I have no responsibilities except to myself, my disposable income is mine to do with as I please, as is my time. I love living alone, and enjoy my solitude (perfect for audiophile pursuits - which is mostly a solo hobby anyway). OTOH, I am very happy for those of you who have found marital bliss and may it continue for you and yours forever.

George

That's great if all you want is candy. Just brush your teeth regularly and don't forget your insulin. Some of us prefer a more balanced diet and even begin to enjoy stuff we hated as a kid.

Pssst - wanna trade that cheese for a Mounds bar????

All I want is the candy. BTW, it's much cheaper and less troublesome to buy a candy bar every now and again than it is own a candy store. And I'll keep the Mounds, thank you! :)

George