IGNORED

Network Attached Storage devices are all the rage these days... But what to do about water and fire?

FWIW, I have a synology diskstation with mirrored drives in a large fireproof safe in the corner of my stone walled basement, network connected through an appropriate cable run through the safe wall (offset a bit so no wide-open insulation gap). I actually have two sets of mirrored drives in that safe that contain the same data, probably really over-redundant but they aren't terribly expensive. I also every few weeks take new music files and put them on a mirrored drive at a place I have out in the country about 60 miles away, so I have a remote backup. It is not every-day current, but I am willing to deal with a few weeks of new music redo in the unlikely event a problem happens.

I've dropped my Iphone in the mens room

The daughter dropped her's right into the toilet at school. I was skeptical but we were able to fix by putting in a bag of uncooked rice for 24 hours.

Unfortunately she used this as excuse to upgrade to the latest model so her old phone has become a remote control for my MacMini.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Without getting into disaster fantasies, I had a direct lightning strike on my house last year, right where the NAS lives. It took out one drive, but the NAS itself and the other drive survived, miraculously. Obviously, it could easily have destroyed both drives instead of just one. There was no sign of heat damage, so I guess it was just the huge electromagnetic pulse which did the damage. Would the ioSafe have been secure in those circumstances? (I had an off-site backup).

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

....... Would the ioSafe have been secure in those circumstances? (I had an off-site backup).[/quote

I don't know ioSafe specifically, but I don't think anything with wires in it (other than devices made specifically to withstand EMP, like military air -burst nuclear hardened stuff) is safe against a large lightning strike that happens very close. I have a lot of electronics in a couple of observatories I operate, and every year or two, a nearby lightning burst gets something at one of them. One of the observatories is designed specifically to shield the internal electronics and equipment, setting up something close to a Faraday cage around the metal dome, with very large buried copper plates, etc. It helps, but it has something fry from time to time. I think offsite is the only way to be certain stuff won't get trashed. As noted in this thread, offsite is a hassle.

Without getting into disaster fantasies...

How about an electrical fire that required us to turn off power for the entire building for several hours - longer than the UPS would have held up the processing systems?

That "fantasy" happened to me just the week before last...

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Without getting into disaster fantasies, I had a direct lightning strike on my house last year, right where the NAS lives. It took out one drive, but the NAS itself and the other drive survived, miraculously. Obviously, it could easily have destroyed both drives instead of just one. There was no sign of heat damage, so I guess it was just the huge electromagnetic pulse which did the damage. Would the ioSafe have been secure in those circumstances? (I had an off-site backup).

My parents house has also been hit with lightning. It destroyed a lot of things, their backup drives somehow survived.

No electron left behind.

How about an electrical fire that required us to turn off power for the entire building for several hours - longer than the UPS would have held up the processing systems?

That "fantasy" happened to me just the week before last...

-Paul

Perhaps I am just lucky with my mostly disaster free life...

No electron left behind.