IGNORED

iFi adds the "Even-Order Harmonics that All Music Lovers Crave"

I have not tried it, but was thinking about ordering one to try because I have SS equipment (Levinson amps). But then I started wondering whether it sounded good because it was actually adding harmonic distortion (however pleasing because it is even order), and hence this thread.

I have the iTube. Before the iTube came along my system consisted of Emotiva equipment (XDA-2 DAC, XSP-1 Pre, XPA-100 amp) and Sonus Faber Venere 2 speakers. A rather mid-fi system by the standards of many participating in this thread but something of a step up from what I had been used to. Still, something was missing. I found the sound to be a tad too clinical and, well...digital. I found that some tracks (mostly FLACs ripped from my CD collection) just had a hardness to the sound that left me a little frustrated. Since I had a $300 credit anyway at an ifi dealer I decided to give the iTube a listen after reading some very positive reviews online.

I settled on using the iTube as a buffer only. The effect is fairly subtle at first but builds over time in terms of relaxation and satisfied listening sessions. In other words, you notice it more when you turn it off after listening for an extended time than you do when you turn it on after listening without it on. It doesn't add noticeable color and I don't hear any loss of detail. What I do detect is slightly fuller sound and an absence of whatever it is that seems to put my nerves on edge. It's hard to pin down, but it definitely results in longer, happier listening sessions and its easier to crank up the volume on some tracks. One example may be telling. I like Pat Metheny a lot and have most of his CDs. His stuff is usually well recorded and a pleasure to listen to, EXCEPT sometimes his electric guitars come across with a real hardness that can be exhausting to listen to (for me, at least). I tend to skip over some tracks or turn down the volume a bit when listening to them because of that effect. Now, with the iTube in line I feel much less on edge when playing these tracks and don't feel the need to skip them or turn down the volume. It's a bit like taking that tiny pebble out of your shoe. Amazing what a difference it makes in your comfort level.

Another feature of the iTube is the "3D" option that widens the soundstage and it noticeably creates more separation, width and gives bass more presence within a defined space. I generally leave this on now as well especially because it helps to give the bass on my stand-mounted Venere's a little more meat.

I'll leave to others to argue about the whys and the hows of what's going on with tubes. I'm just happy with the results with this particular device and more so than I've ever been when playing my digital sources. Before i got the iTube I was thinking about changing the DAC in the hopes that that might help. Now I'm completely happy with my setup and am focusing on growing my digital music collection instead of thinking about equipment. What a relief!

Thanks. Thoughtful and helpful reply. I'm actually quite happy with the overall smoothness of my Lexicon 432 solid state amps, but your response both makes sense and explains how this product might fit nicely in certain systems.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I'm just happy with the results with this particular device and more so than I've ever been when playing my digital sources. Before i got the iTube I was thinking about changing the DAC in the hopes that that might help. Now I'm completely happy with my setup and am focusing on growing my digital music collection instead of thinking about equipment. What a relief!

Great info and results!

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

These marketing statements by iFi are perhaps the first time that I have heard an audio company acknowledge that by adding tubes you are adding distortion (ok harmonics if you prefer) in order to make the sound more pleasing to the human ear. I would think that most lovers of tubed equipment would disagree and argue that their equipment sounds better without "adding" anything that wasn't there in the first place. Which is it?

You were right the first time. By definition, adding harmonics that aren't present the signal being amplified is adding distortion. Well, like I said before, I don't think the idea of a tube buffer stage is to make tube lovers happy, or even to make a SS amp sound like a tube amp. The purpose is to take a a modern, very low distortion SS amplifier chain, which to some can sound rather sterile and thread-bare, and add some classic tube "warmth" to the sound by introducing a smidgen of euphonic coloration to the presentation. Don't make the mistake of putting more emphasis on the subject than that.

George

I have the iTube. Before the iTube came along my system consisted of Emotiva equipment (XDA-2 DAC, XSP-1 Pre, XPA-100 amp) and Sonus Faber Venere 2 speakers. A rather mid-fi system by the standards of many participating in this thread but something of a step up from what I had been used to. Still, something was missing. I found the sound to be a tad too clinical and, well...digital. I found that some tracks (mostly FLACs ripped from my CD collection) just had a hardness to the sound that left me a little frustrated. Since I had a $300 credit anyway at an ifi dealer I decided to give the iTube a listen after reading some very positive reviews online.

I settled on using the iTube as a buffer only. The effect is fairly subtle at first but builds over time in terms of relaxation and satisfied listening sessions. In other words, you notice it more when you turn it off after listening for an extended time than you do when you turn it on after listening without it on. It doesn't add noticeable color and I don't hear any loss of detail. What I do detect is slightly fuller sound and an absence of whatever it is that seems to put my nerves on edge. It's hard to pin down, but it definitely results in longer, happier listening sessions and its easier to crank up the volume on some tracks. One example may be telling. I like Pat Metheny a lot and have most of his CDs. His stuff is usually well recorded and a pleasure to listen to, EXCEPT sometimes his electric guitars come across with a real hardness that can be exhausting to listen to (for me, at least). I tend to skip over some tracks or turn down the volume a bit when listening to them because of that effect. Now, with the iTube in line I feel much less on edge when playing these tracks and don't feel the need to skip them or turn down the volume. It's a bit like taking that tiny pebble out of your shoe. Amazing what a difference it makes in your comfort level.

Another feature of the iTube is the "3D" option that widens the soundstage and it noticeably creates more separation, width and gives bass more presence within a defined space. I generally leave this on now as well especially because it helps to give the bass on my stand-mounted Venere's a little more meat.

I'll leave to others to argue about the whys and the hows of what's going on with tubes. I'm just happy with the results with this particular device and more so than I've ever been when playing my digital sources. Before i got the iTube I was thinking about changing the DAC in the hopes that that might help. Now I'm completely happy with my setup and am focusing on growing my digital music collection instead of thinking about equipment. What a relief!

Perfect example of using that buffer for what it was designed for. Kudos!. And just because the Emotiva stuff is relatively inexpensive, don't underestimate it by calling it "mid-fi". this stuff is very capable. It measures well and the amps/preamps (a couple of which I have reviewed) are very low in coloration and sound great, I'd categorize it as being Stereophile class B+, and that's not too shabby! They are also built much better than one would expect from their price. I'd say you did well.

George

• 1 year later...
Chinese equipment maker Yaqin has had several "tube buffers" of this type on sale for quite a while at different price points. So the idea is hardly new.

YAQIN SD CD3 6N8P Valve Tube Signal Upgrade Buffer Processor for CD DVD Player | eBay

Does someone know how the Yaqin SD-CD3 compares with the iTube as far as minimal distortion and transparency while still introducing even harmonics? The Yaqin seems to have a better bigger power supply and larger and more (2) tubes. Does that translate into better soundstage, fullness of sound and more transparency/less unpleasant distortion ?

iTube has a THD < 0.05% (reference) and the Yaqin <0.03% per their product specs. Any inputs on how these two perform relative to each other?