IGNORED

Core 2 Duo Processor - PC equivalents

What Intel processor for PC is the equivalent to the Mac 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo Processor in terms of approx speed?

Monty

Location: Manchester\'ish - UK. System: iMac, YellowTec PUC2 Lite, Genelec 7270A sub, 2 x 8240A monitors, a Drobo and Vovox cables.

?? I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking, the Mac 2.26ghz (in a 2009 Mini) is an Intel P8400 Core 2 duo chip in a FCBGA package. The processors are the same for Mac or PC, clock speed is the same, the difference will come from other factors (RAM, DISK, FSB, video, OS software, etc.)

The processors used in current Apple Mac computers ARE Intel processors. All except the PowerMac use laptop spec processors as these are cooler running.

For example ... the current, if we look at the specs for the current MacMini http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html we can see it uses a 2.0 or 2.26GHz processor with a 1066MHz front side bus and 3MB full speed (stated as 1:1) cache. Looking at intel http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/mobile/specifications.htm we can see that the 2.26GHz version is known by Intel as a P8400.

Unfortunately manually checking this way seams to be the only way to compare and it's not 100% accurate as not everything is listed on the Intel site (i.e. no 2.0GHz version listed). PC manufacturers seam to be reluctant often to list the spec of the chips, they just say it's a 2.0GHz T5800, etc. so it's not very transparent way to compare.

Hope I helped a little.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.