IGNORED

help with first high-res download…...

photonblur

Hello,

My set up is Imac/iTunes->squeezebox touch edo->wyred4sound dac-2dsdse. I have just downloaded XLD and want to download the HDTracks free high-res sampler. Where HDTracks asks for "desired format" should I select ALAC or FLAC? Is it correct that in either case iTunes is limited to 24/96 playback? If I select FLAC and download a 24/192 file will I have the

option of XLD conversion to ALAC for iTunes now and at a later date if I aquire a non/iTunes player have access to the same FLAC file at 24/192 playback?

thanks,

pb-

Hello,

My set up is Imac/iTunes->squeezebox touch edo->wyred4sound dac-2dsdse. I have just downloaded XLD and want to download the HDTracks free high-res sampler. Where HDTracks asks for "desired format" should I select ALAC or FLAC? Is it correct that in either case iTunes is limited to 24/96 playback? If I select FLAC and download a 24/192 file will I have the

option of XLD conversion to ALAC for iTunes now and at a later date if I aquire a non/iTunes player have access to the same FLAC file at 24/192 playback?

thanks,

pb-

I've chosen to download everything from HDTracks in FLAC, and convert as required. I don't use iTunes as a front-end, but you could by converting using XLD as you mention. If you're in for a little fun, download a free player (Cog or VLC) and play the native FLAC file.

My aversion to ALAC is mild, but is predicated on the recommendation from Chris in his ripping strategy document elsewhere on this site.

Hello,

thanks,

pb-

Hello photonblur, you can download in ALAC or FLAC. I use Mac/iTunes and still download in FLAC then covert with XLD. I keep the FLAC for backup/archives and so my OPPO can play them (OPPO BDP95 doesn't do ALAC).

I've played up to 384/24 in iTunes with Audirvana+. I think it is just the optical output that has the 96/24 limit.

And yes, XLD with let you convert formats back and forth if you use a non-iTunes player.

Thanks all. My education continues. Ipeng shows the the downloaded FLAC files, half of which are labled various artists, and playing through the squeezebox touch->w4s dac2dsdse at 96/24 sounds great. I have not been able to convert from FLAC to ALAC with XLD for my iTunes library. I read a tutorial or two and attempted to drag FLAC files into iTunes library in applications with nothingbut screechy static iTunes playback. My dashed hope was that somehow XLD was covertly doing the conversion as I had thought I set up XLD for FLAC in and ALAC out to the iTunes library. Oh well. I got to hear high-res for the first time and was impressed. Tomorow I'll try to figure out my XLD problems.

pb-