IGNORED

Mac Mini - please advise

olddude

I have my digital music library in a late 2012 Mac Mini which I play through iTunes and Audirvana+.

1. I am running OS X 10.8.5 and the current version of A+. Should there be any problem upgrading to Mavericks?

2. Presently, when I boot up the Mini, I go to my desktop computer and share screen with it. I then start A+ and I am on my way. Is there a way to run A+ on boot up (sort of like a startup batch file) so I don't need to use my desktop every time I turn on the Mini?

Thanks in advance...

I have my digital music library in a late 2012 Mac Mini which I play through iTunes and Audirvana+.

1. I am running OS X 10.8.5 and the current version of A+. Should there be any problem upgrading to Mavericks?

2. Presently, when I boot up the Mini, I go to my desktop computer and share screen with it. I then start A+ and I am on my way. Is there a way to run A+ on boot up (sort of like a startup batch file) so I don't need to use my desktop every time I turn on the Mini?

Thanks in advance...

You should not have any issues upgrading to Mavericks as it is a pretty seamless upgrade.

In Mavericks (cannot remember if it was in 10.8.5) when you shut down you can tell it to reopen programs that were open when shut down. There is a dialog box to check this option. Or you can go into preferences and add A+ at startup under your user name. This is under Users & Groups/Login items tab. just hit the + and navigate to the applications folder and click on A+ to add.

I generally keep my mac mini on all the time and have the option checked to reopen active windows on startup in the event of a reboot. However this does not happen much since I added a battery backup unit when I was having power blips awhile back.

Enjoy,

Chuck

I recently upgraded my Mini to Mavericks. Everything went well but the external hard drive no longer spins down is sleep mode. This appears to be a pretty common issue with firewire drives. The only fix I can find is to use USB. I'm hoping Apple resolves this.

Thanks in advance...

The easiest way to accomplish (2) is as follows: drag Audirvana+ to your dock if it's not already there; right-click on A+ in the dock; go to "Options" in the menu that comes up; click on "Open at Login" under the Options menu that comes up. Now A+ will open any time you login to the account you use for music on the Mini. If you only use one account (as I do), it will open any time you start the Mini.

HTH,

jwr

Thanks to all for the suggestions. All works well!

I will just belabor this a wee bit in case someone else later has the same questions later.

With my Mini, the selecting "open at login" from right-clicking at the dock seems to open a blank text file.

The prior suggestion of editing the User Groups/Login Items worked for me.

Well folks, I spoke to soon.

It appears since yesterday's changes, iTunes and A+ do not want to play together or separately.

Hitting "play" either in iTunes by itself, in A+ either in playlist or iTunes integrated mode results in no play.

I changed back my startup settings to no avail. I run the same software and OS on my desktop with external speakers without problem. Thoughts?

Not sure I can help, but this happened to me when I switched to Mavericks. My Exasound E28 stopped working and would shut down the computer if I started it in A+. It had worked fine before the switch. I emailed George of Exasound and he emailed me right back with a new driver install. Turns out that Mavericks caused some sort of conflict with the Exasound that needed a driver (it didn't need one with Mountain Lion or whatever animal preceded Mavericks.) You may need to contact your DAC manufacturer to see whether there is a driver issue.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

yes...have checked outputs and it's as per my dac etc.

Unfortunately there is no signal getting as far as the output.

I get an error message in A+ : OSError=veda Anyone know what this means?

This happens occasionally to me when I'm using other audio sources like You Tube or Internet streaming. Try restarting your Mac. Works for me 100% of the time.

It may help to share what DAC you use. I've read that DACs that use the m2tech drivers don't work with Mavericks.

Phatoldsun, you've nailed it! I'm using the M2Tech Evo (with clock and PS) into an original EmmLabs DCC2.

I go to the M2Tech website and there it is - driver not currently compatible with Mavericks. I should have looked there first

before going to Mavericks. I think it would be a royal pain to revert to the older OS so I will have spin the discs the old fashioned

way until a fix is available.

Phatoldsun, you've nailed it! I'm using the M2Tech Evo (with clock and PS) into an original EmmLabs DCC2.

I go to the M2Tech website and there it is - driver not currently compatible with Mavericks. I should have looked there first

before going to Mavericks. I think it would be a royal pain to revert to the older OS so I will have spin the discs the old fashioned

way until a fix is available.

Oh no! Bummer. While you wait, you could use the optical connection instead of USB. The headphone jack on most Macs serves double duty as mini jack optical output. You just need a cheap adapter and an optical cable.

And if misery loves company, you can visit this thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/m2tech-hiface-mavericks-problem-18072/index7.html