IGNORED

Replacement mobo for the Intel DN2800MT Marshalltown / CAPS Carbon

soss

Hi, I have searched around CA and did not find anything on this subject since the DN2800MT was "discontinued". My apologies if it's been covered already.

What I'm looking for is a good mobo to be used with a Wesena e4 v3 case and Pico PS (assuming this possible). Firewire and eSata is a huge plus.

Hi! I changed from Atom 330 to that one and I am very happy. Power consumption during playback with J.River ist identical. Temperature is 2 degree celsius lower, passive of course. But, power is much higher. J.River score is around 1800 (Atom does around 550).

You can feel the power, everything is very fast during handling. :-)

I am totally satisfied!

This wonder is called:

GA-C1037UN-EU (rev. 1.0)

Thanks for the info. My goal is to have a SSD and a 3TB internal mechanical drive in the same chassis. I'm still not 100% sure if this can be done. I think the Zuma Intel BOXDH77EB mobo with i5 (for cost) and picoPSU might be the way to go. Agree? I'll obviously need a larger case w/ heatsink . Just started researching this.

SSD and a second HDD in the same case is of course no problem. Take care, there is enough space for mounting both discs, should work. And the cooling system of the 'Zuma case' will cool your desired system without any trouble.

I remember, Chris noted, there are mainboards, which leave enough room for the heatpipes - and the other ones ;-) But I think, Streacom sells a spacer.

What I see, you will not need it.

So, buy and enjoy ;-)

When you have the existance of a local network in your house, I would prefer storage on a NAS or similar - not in your listening room. Because, maybe, in some bad circumstances, it could be possible, that you hear the 3TB disc.

But my tolerance level is very low here, some of the streamers out there have built-in HDD's and everyone is happy with them.

At least, take care of that and use a silent one, e.g. not a Seagate 7200rpm ;-)

The WD Green is silent, and others too. Others maybe know that.

I have a Seasonic ATX PSU fanless. But I never tried a LPSU.

From the mainboard I go to a Belcanto uLink. I cut the USB cable and power the uLink with a linear power supply. You find it here: Squeeze-upgrade | Sbooster | Audiophile power supply upgrades

What makes my system special: All these components are inside the computer case, so the design is very clean.

Soundwise, I tried some other (expensive) so called streamers, and I easily kick them off. But you know, there is always a "better".

All in all I am very satisfied. Before the Gigabyte, I had a Zotac Atom 330 ION board. I am not really sure, if the sound is better now, but the user experience certainly is. Even my jremote app on my iPad is much fast in showing the covers.

Back to PSU. I use a power filter by Vibex, an europ. company with top reviews. I think, this filter blocks some noise coming out of my Seasonic PSU.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I intend to build a small fanless music server, and this GA mobo seems interesting. After reading of many discussions, the folks recommend for best quality using of Windows Server 2012 with Jplay. So I found following questions:

1. Can this mobo run Windows Server 2012? Are the drivers available?

2. Can this mobo run Jplay flawlessly?

3. Even it is passive cooled, can I install it in small case (e.g. M350) without any doubt about negative thermal effect to additional hardware as SSD, PCie card?

Thanks for answers in advance.

Hi,

I intend to build a small fanless music server, and this GA mobo seems interesting. After reading of many discussions, the folks recommend for best quality using of Windows Server 2012 with Jplay. So I found following questions:

1. Can this mobo run Windows Server 2012? Are the drivers available?

2. Can this mobo run Jplay flawlessly?

3. Even it is passive cooled, can I install it in small case (e.g. M350) without any doubt about negative thermal effect to additional hardware as SSD, PCie card?

Thanks for answers in advance.

Cannot comment on 1 and 2, but I would think a small case is OK as long as the CPU is not working too hard, and has some vents on the top surface. I have no cooling problems with my Atom based server even in a warm summer.

Some questions:

1. The DN2800MT has on board power regulation, can plug in a 60 watt switchmode power brick or similar.

Many of the replacement boards suggested have an ATX power connector instead. Eurochamp uses an internal PSU, but most small miniITX cases have no room. So, picoPSU then, with an external brick? Have no experience with these.

2. My current board has eSata on back panel which I use to connect an external 2TB 3.5" external drive. Are most of you using NAS for storage? Again most mini ITX cases have only space for 2.5" drives.

Thanks.

1) You can use a linear with a picoPSU or batteries or both it doesn't have to be a brick smps.

2) You can get 2.5 in large capacities. I use SSD for music storage and sometimes flash drives, there are a few options but NAS is popular.

Thanks for that.

Yes, I'm interested in upgrading to a linear PSU, maybe a Keces unit, but also planning to upgrade my atom-based music server first.

Before purchasing a LPSU, I need to have an idea of future mainboard power requirements, and then to decide what type of PCI > USB card to use in the new build (most boards have PCIe only, so can't use my current SOtM PCI card).

I'd like to power that PCI card externally from a second output on the same linear PSU. Some folks use two LPSU's but I'd rather not if I can help it - clutter and cost.

Re the storage, I think I'll keep with the existing external drive and run a SATA cable direct from the mainboard out the back of the case. eSATA ports have gone the way of the dodo since USB3 arrived - but I doubt using USB for data transfer would be wise, even if my USB DAC is on a different bus.