IGNORED

Misheard lyrics - can you give (funny!) examples

Hi All,

This has very little to do with audio, but maybe you are willing to help me out here...

I work as an English teacher for one of the many private schools here in Brazil. One of the things we have to do is create conversation-classes. These usually have some kind of exercise in them.

A couple of weeks ago I ran into a video on youtube with the most misheard lyrics. I thought of using that as the topic for what we call "Joy Conversation". The idea is to have students listen to short fragments with lyrics that can be (easily) misheard, play these a few times and let them write what they hear.

One example is Abba's "Dancing Queen". Many people seem to have heard:

See that girl (= OK)

Watch her scream (= Watch that scene)

Kicking the dancing Queen (= Digging the Dancing Queen)

Can you help me out by posting your own misheard lyrics, preferably popular music? The funnier, the better!

Thanks in advance & Kind regards,

Peter

PS:

The class will be named "Play That F***in' Music, White Boy' :)

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Steve Miller "the Joker" Pompetus of love lyric is a classic. Heard as lots of things. Often puppeteers of love.

Steve Miller "Jet Airliner" is another one with a couple of oft mangled lyrics. Someone has a page on just Steve Miller

Misheard Song Lyrics Stories, Steve Miller Band

I have seen a youtube video at one point I can't find now with a dozen such examples.

And the Jimi Hendrix song oft heard Let me Kiss this guy when it was Let me Kiss the Sky. From the song "Purle Haze" of course.

It also inspired a website.

KissThisGuy.com - The Archive of Misheard Song Lyrics

I almost forgot Clash's famous song "Rock the Cashbox" or at least that is what I have heard some people sing.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Boheiem Rhapsody by Queen...

"Spare him his life from these pork sausages" and "the devil has a sideboard".

R.E.M, Jimi Hendrix & Aerosmith Have ‘Most Misheard Lyrics’ | Live4ever Ezine may be of interest.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo (Rick Derringer with Johnny Winter, covered by many bands) has a line "Lawdy (Lordy) Mama, light my fuse," which for some reason I always heard as "Lawdy Mama, bite my shoes."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo (Rick Derringer with Johnny Winter, covered by many bands) has a line "Lawdy (Lordy) Mama, light my fuse," which for some reason I always heard as "Lawdy Mama, bite my shoes."

Hi Jud,

Thanks! I was actually hoping for more personal "mishearings" like yours!

But an honest question for you... Did you hear the right lyrics after you started the audiophile hobby? :) :) :)

Kind regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

I never heard the song except on radio or at a bar, so I can't tell you. :)

The song "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen has had people trying to figure out the correct lyrics for years, with many people insisting they describe a sexual encounter, others saying they are quite tame. Maybe not for your English class, but you may enjoy doing personal research. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Crystal Gayle - Don't It Make Your Brown Eyes Blue - misheard as "donuts make your brown eyes blue"

Elton John - Tiny Dancer - "hold me closer Tony Danza"

Almost forgot one of my favourites, I'm sure this will be on the kissthisguy list...

From Deep Purple, Smoke on the Water - "slow walking Walter, the fire engine guy"

Tufts of Slaw. Now if I could only remember what the real lyric was.

My brother used to hear that and I remember I could not convince him that he was wrong. But the pathetic part is that now I can't remember what it was all about. I think it was a Stones song.

And then there's Angie and Andy.

Chris

Billy Joel's _We Didn't Light The Fire_.

It might be fun be because it is loaded with history references. Has one of the most misheard lines of all time-

"Children of the little mind" = "Children of Thalidomide"

If the kids have net access, they might have a real blast digging out some of the other references. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I've always had trouble with the meaning of one verse in "Walking in a Winter Wonderland." It'e the part where they sing about the snowman, "are you married, he'll say no ma'am, but you can do the job when you're in town." My wife has tried to explain it to me many times, but I still think it sounds sexual and possibly inappropriate… Not sure who is inviting who though.

Then again, I have kind of a dirty mind.

BWaaaahhhhhaaaahhaaaa.... :)

In the Winter we can make a snowman,

We'll pretend that he is Parson Brown.

He'll say 'Are You Married?' we'll say 'No man!',

But you can do the job while your in town...

That last half does sound like a downright snow job, does it not? :)

-Paul

I've always had trouble with the meaning of one verse in "Walking in a Winter Wonderland." It'e the part where they sing about the snowman, "are you married, he'll say no ma'am, but you can do the job when you're in town." My wife has tried to explain it to me many times, but I still think it sounds sexual and possibly inappropriate… Not sure who is inviting who though.

Then again, I have kind of a dirty mind.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Living in French Quebec City in the 80's, a fan called into the French radio station and asked for the new Def Leppard song... and says he wants , in a thick French accent...'Possum-Sue Gommet'... took the DJ a while to figure out he was asking for Pour Some Sugar on Me...

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

In Don McLean's American Pie

"And while Lenin read a book on Marx"

"A Quartet practiced in the Park"

I thought it could have meant

"And while Lennon read a book on Marx (Groucho)"

"A Quartet practiced in the Park" (the Beatles)

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files