IGNORED

Help with mixing board into Mini

realhifi

Hi realhifi,

Anyone have experience with interfaces that take a mixing board signal into a Mac Mini and record it?

Are you talking about the stereo output of the board or multiple individual channels?

The best way to capture the output of the board would be via a good digital interface, such as those made by Metric Halo. That will work superbly for 2-channel stereo or multiple channels. The Metric Halo interfaces come with software that includes the finest recorder in my experience.

For 2-channel stereo, a not so good way to capture the output of the board but one that costs a minimal amount of money would be to rig up an adapter. At one end, the adapter would have 2 of whatever the output connectors on the board are (XLR or phone connectors, most likely). At the other end, it would have a 3.5 mm stereo mini plug to go into the Mac's audio input port. You can use free software like Audacity to record the signals on the Mac.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

i'd add that there are a significant amount of choices for interfaces within a wide margin of features and affordability. There may be some high production vs costs advantages to units from PreSonus, Apogee, Focusrite, Alesis and others. I guess it all boils down to what level of performance you need.

Hi realhifi,

Are you talking about the stereo output of the board or multiple individual channels?

The best way to capture the output of the board would be via a good digital interface, such as those made by Metric Halo. H That will work superbly for 2-channel stereo or multiple channels. The Metric Halo interfaces come with software that includes the finest recorder in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Thanks Barry. It's for a church and I think they are hoping to spend a but less. Any experience with the M-Audio line?

David

If you use a Mac; Apogee are worth a look. Especially now things like the Duet can also record direct to an iPad which can be convenient.

M-Audio have a good reputation at the budget end...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Anyone have experience with interfaces that take a mixing board signal into a Mac Mini and record it?

Yes. I do that. I have a dedicated mixer/digital interface that permanently connected to my Mini via IEE1394 (FireWire). It's an Alesis I/O26. 8 XLR Mic inputs and 8 Phone plug Line-level inputs. It also has a stereo phonograph inputs with built-in RIAA and supports 24/192. I use it with Audacity software. The Mini sees it right away and one just connects the device, goes into the sound preferences panel and under the input tab, selects the device by name. Then, if you're doing "hi-res", go:

Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup.

Then select the interface device and set the maximum sampling rate and number of channels to your required configuration. Then, you have to "point" Audacity to the FireWire inputs. But that's all. When I was recording using a Mac Laptop I used a an audio-to USB interface with Audacity. It only supported up to 24/96. But the computer setup steps were the same as for the FireWire input.

Hope this helps.

George