IGNORED

linear PSU for external HDD?

steklo

Hi all,

I have a MacMini 2009 running headless as music server with my music-library stored on an external self-powered HDD.

I'm about to get myself a linear PSU for the Mac. The benefits seem to be commonly appreciated. Will SQ also benefit when exchanging the switch-mode PSU of the external HDD against a linear PSU?

In this context I wonder if it would make sense to look for a PSU with two outlets: One to power the Mac, the other one to power the HDD? The PSU I have in mind offers 10A in total. Or would it still be better to have a cheap linear wall wart PSU for the external HDD and leave the Mac's linear PSU untouched?

I would be glad if you could share your real world experiences.

Best regards

Stefan

I don't have any personal experience with the Mac Mini, but if it were me, I would use a separate linear PSU for any external HDD/SSD used for storing music. You won't find suitable Linear PSUs available in wallwart form though. You may need something like a good +12V 2A and +5V 2A Linear PSU to be on the safe side, unless the external HDD was designed to be powered via USB or it's ratings as marked, show considerably lower power requirements..

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020