IGNORED

Focal Spirit Pro Stereo Headphone Review

Someone recommended this Focal Spirit Pro to me, so I bought it and was amazed by the sound. I was very reluctant to purchase a headphone that was associated with or designed by Paul Barton because of the references I'd read about making the headphones "sound like speakers". Well, I don't think this Spirit Pro sounds like speakers, but it does sound amazingly good.

Focal Spirit Pro Stereo Headphone Review

I bought one a few weeks ago for listening at work. It is still breaking in, but the sound is sweet and spacious for a closed headphone. Comfort also gets high marks. When I see others in the office wearing the ubiquitous Beats phones in the same price range, it's hard to resist the urge to school them a bit :-)

Tyll Hertsens likes it too, along with Spirit Classic. Interesting differences between the 2. Sounds like both are too small for my melon. Always appreciate Tyll covering fit and comfort:

I didn't check his review (on Youtube) until after I posted mine, but I see he ticked every box. I can't imagine anyone accomodating the Pro fit unless they're used to high-clamping force headphones.

Yeah, I can see how the FSP ear cups wouldn't be for everyone. I don't think they are intended to completely envelop the entire ear. The lower portion of the seal does press my earlobes. I don't wear for more than an hour at a time so maybe they would get uncomfortable with longer sessions.

If anyone is looking for a good value in "full earmuff" closed headphones, I home auditioned these Fischer Audio FA-003 Ti's at the same time :

Amazon.com : Fischer Audio FA-003Ti Noise Isloation Earcups Headphones with Titanium Drivers with New Headband Design : Electronics

They are also considered flat frequency response, and sound quite "lively" when directly compared to the FSP's. But I found the Focals to be more accurate overall, especially in the bass and lower midrange like dalethorn wrote.

Yeah, I can see how the FSP ear cups wouldn't be for everyone. I don't think they are intended to completely envelop the entire ear. The lower portion of the seal does press my earlobes. I don't wear for more than an hour at a time so maybe they would get uncomfortable with longer sessions. If anyone is looking for a good value in "full earmuff" closed headphones, I home auditioned these Fischer Audio FA-003 Ti's at the same time : Amazon.com : Fischer Audio FA-003Ti Noise Isloation Earcups Headphones with Titanium Drivers with New Headband Design : Electronics They are also considered flat frequency response, and sound quite "lively" when directly compared to the FSP's. But I found the Focals to be more accurate overall, especially in the bass and lower midrange like dalethorn wrote.

The Fischer should be the same headphone (OEM) as the Brainwavz HM5 I reviewed here recently. And it is a great headphone - just needs a slight bass boost.

Sorry, Not clear how Paul Barton is associated with the Focals ?

I read it somewhere. The source could have been wrong. The headphone does possess a quality that conforms to the articles about Barton - possibly just a coincidence.

However, the "room feel" Barton proposes is bogus I believe, based on the last 150 or so headphones I've used. In fact, many headphones I've had will deliver a thundering low organ pedal note with proper feel when loudspeakers in a typical room can't deliver such a low note due to the limited room size.