IGNORED

Problem with Audirvana+ and OPPO BDP 105d with DSD files

Got the Oppo 105D for the ability to play DSD files through the USB-B input off my MBP. So, I gets all giddy, and download Beck, Pat Barber, and Nat King Cole in DSD from acoustic sounds, and add them to my Audirvana playlist....and, nothing.

All my other files play great.

In the Audirvana settings, DSD 64 and 128 are "greyed out" - seeming to indicate, that the OPPO is not capable of this.

So, the problem would seem to be either the OPPO doesnt do what it is supposed to do, or Audirvana might need to update something as the older 105 did NOT support DSD through the USB-b input

I checked again From OPPO, to be sure I recalled correctly on its specs, and it should support this. From their website: "The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input. If your computer can play it, the BDP-105D can convert it to analog."

I tried to post to the Audirvana forum, but am waiting for my registration to be approved

Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

There is an option in A+ to use DoP, where it puts the DSD file in a PCM wrapper. But the DAC will unwrap and play the DSD file.

Thanks - I will try that. I hadn't gone of fthe USB drive yet, but assume that would work. I think it is on the A+ side, but will troubleshoot, and try to post to their forum as well.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

The Answer:

Automatic detection does not work. DSD64 and 128 are greyed out. If changed to DSD over PCM 1.0 it does work

Not sure if it would just be better, sonically, to convert the files in say XLD rather than the conversion on the fly? (if I am understanding what DSD over PCM 1.0 means)

DSD over PCM is not conversion. It's a way of sending the DSD data in a package that the DAC in your OPPO will accept.

Conversion to actual PCM will very likely result in sound that's not as good. But why not try it yourself and see what sounds best in your system?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.