IGNORED

Diet has Significant Impact to Your Hearing for Audio

Bunny

Please don't ask me for "measurements" or proof from medical source stating how person on a specific diet has impact on hearing as this is based on user experience over the years and my follow friend agrees with me.

Here is my diary:

I come home from work. It's around 6PM. I am hungry. My stomach is singing asking for food or put something so it can digest. I make my own fruit veggy juice using a blender. They are composed of Broccoli, Carrots, Pomegranates, Apples, and Oranges. Tastes good as hell. It's a replacement of junk food. I drink two cups of this juice. Play the music or music video and sit back on the couch and listen to sound.. My ears opened up. I can hear treble extensions really well. The high frequency details can be heard, everything comes out of the speakers. The high frequencies also sound liquid smooth and silky.

30 minutes later I am getting hungry again. The juice doesn't fill up stomach and they get digested really quickly. My stomach is whining for food. I said OKAY OKAY. I go have a dinner. I don't eat too much, but is enough to make stomach some-what full. Soon after eating I get back to music listening. Eewwww... my ears got numbed. It's like someone put a layer of warm mud in my ears. As a result I could not hear treble extensions and details in the upper registers. What I hear more is the bass, not detailed textured either. Stomach is digesting food so all the blood is moved down there as it needs blood to get muscle tissue to break down foods. I am guessing that the blood needed for ear drums is insufficient, hence the performance of my nerves in the ears go down. This explains for muddy sound with lack of details. About 45 min to an hour later (by this time the food is out of the stomach, or minimal amount left) my hearing is *regained*. I can start hearing better treble sounds and details. It's getting silky too. It's great. I continue to enjoy sound but about an hour and one half later or two I start getting sleepy. My hearing goes down again because I can't concentrate on listening. The food is in the small intestine busy absorbing nutrients from foods. This takes blood to do the work too. I try to move around to stay awake. Have some coffee (no sugar, just coffee and hot water). I don't add any junk like cream or any other synthetic genetically processed foods. My hearing is restored again. I can hear treble extensions with more details. Openness and silkiness can be heard too.

I found out that it's best to have smaller amount of meal. You can break them down to maybe 4 meals instead of two a day. This isn't really practical most people go to work. You don't have time having small lunch twice. Anyways, eat smaller amount of food as less impact to hearing.

When having meal that contains a lot of meat is worse. It hurts hearing even more. Fresh veggy meal is a lot better. It takes less load on the stomach and is a lot healthier for your body.

If you are planning for some critical listening to your system or for upgrading systems it's best you stay hungry. Just have a couple of fruit / veggy juice and listen to music. Your ears will function at best.

That's right, no candy bars, ice cream, cake, cookies, gummy bears, m&m's, biscuits, potato chips, etc etc. They also have negative impact to hearing and are bad for your health. Especially eating them with empty stomach is critically bad for your health. So I eat them only on the weekends after meal. The problem is I get sleepy even more. I love junk food too, but I cut down to minimal. Don't eat them on week days.

Bunny

• Windows PC + Creative EMU0404 USB DAC w/ stock USB cable
  • Focal CMS 65 speakers
  • Very hyper-end Power cables for all components

QUOTE: If you are planning for some critical listening to your system or for upgrading systems it's best you stay hungry. Just have a couple of fruit / veggy juice and listen to music. Your ears will function at best.

That's right, no candy bars, ice cream, cake, cookies, gummy bears, m&m's, biscuits, potato chips, etc etc. They also have negative impact to hearing and are bad for your health. Especially eating them with empty stomach is critically bad for your health. So I eat them only on the weekends after meal. The problem is I get sleepy even more. I love junk food too, but I cut down to minimal. Don't eat them on week days. END QUOTE

I think I would rather burn my music system than give up yummy treats.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Please don't ask me for "measurements" or proof from medical source stating how person on a specific diet has impact on hearing as this is based on user experience over the years and my follow friend agrees with me.

Here is my diary:

I come home from work. It's around 6PM. I am hungry. My stomach is singing asking for food or put something so it can digest. I make my own fruit veggy juice using a blender. They are composed of Broccoli, Carrots, Pomegranates, Apples, and Oranges. Tastes good as hell. It's a replacement of junk food. I drink two cups of this juice. Play the music or music video and sit back on the couch and listen to sound.. My ears opened up. I can hear treble extensions really well. The high frequency details can be heard, everything comes out of the speakers. The high frequencies also sound liquid smooth and silky.

30 minutes later I am getting hungry again. The juice doesn't fill up stomach and they get digested really quickly. My stomach is whining for food. I said OKAY OKAY. I go have a dinner. I don't eat too much, but is enough to make stomach some-what full. Soon after eating I get back to music listening. Eewwww... my ears got numbed. It's like someone put a layer of warm mud in my ears. As a result I could not hear treble extensions and details in the upper registers. What I hear more is the bass, not detailed textured either. Stomach is digesting food so all the blood is moved down there as it needs blood to get muscle tissue to break down foods. I am guessing that the blood needed for ear drums is insufficient, hence the performance of my nerves in the ears go down. This explains for muddy sound with lack of details. About 45 min to an hour later (by this time the food is out of the stomach, or minimal amount left) my hearing is *regained*. I can start hearing better treble sounds and details. It's getting silky too. It's great. I continue to enjoy sound but about an hour and one half later or two I start getting sleepy. My hearing goes down again because I can't concentrate on listening. The food is in the small intestine busy absorbing nutrients from foods. This takes blood to do the work too. I try to move around to stay awake. Have some coffee (no sugar, just coffee and hot water). I don't add any junk like cream or any other synthetic genetically processed foods. My hearing is restored again. I can hear treble extensions with more details. Openness and silkiness can be heard too.

I found out that it's best to have smaller amount of meal. You can break them down to maybe 4 meals instead of two a day. This isn't really practical most people go to work. You don't have time having small lunch twice. Anyways, eat smaller amount of food as less impact to hearing.

When having meal that contains a lot of meat is worse. It hurts hearing even more. Fresh veggy meal is a lot better. It takes less load on the stomach and is a lot healthier for your body.

If you are planning for some critical listening to your system or for upgrading systems it's best you stay hungry. Just have a couple of fruit / veggy juice and listen to music. Your ears will function at best.

That's right, no candy bars, ice cream, cake, cookies, gummy bears, m&m's, biscuits, potato chips, etc etc. They also have negative impact to hearing and are bad for your health. Especially eating them with empty stomach is critically bad for your health. So I eat them only on the weekends after meal. The problem is I get sleepy even more. I love junk food too, but I cut down to minimal. Don't eat them on week days.

Bunny

No measurements needed. It is totally reasonable for a Bunny's diet to contain fruits and veggies. More interested in how you operate the blender :)

No measurements needed. It is totally reasonable for a Bunny's diet to contain fruits and veggies. More interested in how you operate the blender :)

Exactly. Now if Deaf Cat had posted, I would understand, cats often operate household devices. Like turn-tables!!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Very good post- thank you! I have been adjusting my diet for a little more than a year now, to manage and control my blood sugar. I have to say, it can be a real PITA to eat this way, but the music does sound better! :)

I have developed the habit of eating small amounts of food about every hour. If it is a high carb food, like potato chips, then I eat only a very few. (I actually count them out. :) ) Low carb foods, a little more quantity, but only enough to give the tummy something to digest. A small apple, a small glass of milk or apple juice, applesauce. If I want a real treat, I chow down on a small container of Cherry Garcia, and then eat a much lighter meal than usual.

All this is - annoying - to me. There are two kinds of people apparently, those who eat to live, and those who live to eat! I am quite definitely in the later category! Takes a lot of self discipline to act like the other half of humanity.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

By default I never eat junk food. Carbohydrates only in the morning and from fruits. Carbohydrates from other sources lower blood PH and get you sleepy.

Recommended shake before serious music listening: A hot bat wings shake with a Cannabis Sativa twist and green tea, sweetened with natural Stevia (non Monsanto®, so non genetically modified).

Good low acidity Arabica coffee during the day, but non after 5:00 pm, sweetened also with Stevia.

Happy listening,

Roch

I think I would rather burn my music system than give up yummy treats.

I love junk food too, especially the chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, and caramel pie. I love glazed donuts too. I used to eat a lot of these, and got sick bad and had significant impact to my health. I ran into some issues with my body. So I stopped consuming large dose of these about 10 months ago. I still can't live without these, so I eat a caramel pie on the weekend. AFTER a meal.

But for music listening, my ears work best without them, and eat fruit / veggy instead. I can also concentrate better.

I rinse off a bunch of broccoli, cut them into smaller pieces and place them in the blender (I use kitchenAid). Cut the Pomegranates in half and take out the seeds and membrane and put them in the blender. Add about an half jar of water. Mix with high setting to make sure that the pomegranate seeds break down good. Peel off three carrots - these are from the 3lb bag of large carrots. Cut them into chunks and place them in the blender. Peel off two oranges and cut them in halves. Place them in the blender. Then mix for a minute. Wash off the apples with warm water and dishwash soap and cut out the stems. Keep the seeds intact. Cut the apple(s) in quarters (if it's a large apple) and place them in the jar. Do the final mix.

Take a cup out and place one ice cube in it. Pour juice into the cup and drink. I drink two cups, slowly. Takes about 30 minutes to finish two cups while listening to music. My jar isn't big enough to handle two apples and two oranges at one time. But I can drink the while making them so that it won't get over full.

Bunny

• Focal CMS 65 speakers

Very good post- thank you! I have been adjusting my diet for a little more than a year now, to manage and control my blood sugar. I have to say, it can be a real PITA to eat this way, but the music does sound better! :)

I have developed the habit of eating small amounts of food about every hour. If it is a high carb food, like potato chips, then I eat only a very few. (I actually count them out. :) ) Low carb foods, a little more quantity, but only enough to give the tummy something to digest. A small apple, a small glass of milk or apple juice, applesauce. If I want a real treat, I chow down on a small container of Cherry Garcia, and then eat a much lighter meal than usual.

All this is - annoying - to me. There are two kinds of people apparently, those who eat to live, and those who live to eat! I am quite definitely in the later category! Takes a lot of self discipline to act like the other half of humanity.

You're welcome. That sounds like a good way of managing your diet. I'm glad to see others are on diet also for better music listening. :)

Bunny

• Focal CMS 65 speakers

I have noticed these hearing irregularities from time to time and never connected them with food. Mostly I thought it was listening fatigue or lack of focus. You have an interesting theory Bunny, perhaps I will track my eating/listening habits to see what I learn about the correlation. If what you say is true, it introduces an interesting variable in our understanding of the results of testing groups; one that many probably haven't considered.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Cold sausages subjectively lower the noise floor.

My cold sausage has been known to significantly raise the noise floor. (sorry, couldn't refuse).

On a serious note, sodium intake definitely alters/heightens any chance of occassional tinnitus I have in my left ear (8k). I would think most any diet would have a huge effect. We are what we eat.

I know if I drink alcohol my listening skills are shot. I tend to want to keep turning the volume louder and louder as I drink more.

I will start thinking about the food I consume while listening.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

How about mixing and matching the diet with the music? E.g:

Delta blues and old timey country - Black eyed peas cooked with a smoked pork hock, side of greens with fatback and cornbread, jelly jar full of crushed ice and bourbon.

Hard bop - Ice cold martini, food value comes from the three olives.

Early rock 'n' roll - Cheeseburger and a side of fries, chocolate shake.

Late sixties rock - Brownies with a secret ingredient.

Punk/new wave - Fish and chips and warm brown ale.

I have no objective proof that this works, but it subjectively feels right.

More seriously...I have long suspected that body hydration levels, which can fluctuate significantly at times, has some impact on listening ability.

Absolutely, as does blood pressure, hypertension, fatigue, and all host of other physiological conditions and chronic conditions can and will effect hearing. Now add environmental changes such as temperature and barometric pressure,psychological influences such as sighted and expectation bias.........and yet so many are ready to believe their ears first!

Absolutely, as does blood pressure, hypertension, fatigue, and all host of other physiological conditions and chronic conditions can and will effect hearing. Now add environmental changes such as temperature and barometric pressure,psychological influences such as sighted and expectation bias.........and yet so many are ready to believe their ears first!

Bold is mine.

Of course, we are subjects, aren't we? But the first your need is faith, faith in your own ears (I can't listen with yours)

Then, "I am myself and my circumstances". Ortega y Gasset (Spanish liberal philosopher).

Roch

Everyone who listens to music believes their ears, even those doing DBT, right?

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Slightly off topic, but part of that may be because people in some societies are taught to be rugged individualists, not to believe any advertisement unless they check it out for themselves, and that always and always, someone is trying to separate you from your money. I find that to be generally true myself.

So yes, even though I am fully aware that my ears are not a 100% reliable instrument, at least I know they are mine and that they have not been tampered with. If I am hearing something falsely, it is my own fault.

Rather that than to believe "Big Brother" in a lab coat telling me that this or that is impossible. Even I have seen at least 50 "impossible" things happen just in my lifetime. Probably a great deal more. I have lived to see people walk on the moon (I knew I would see that, I am just said I may live to have already seen the last person walk on the moon...). People carry around more computing power in their smartphone than existed in the entire world the year I was born. Science Fiction is a mainstream literary choice. Lasers, Masers, and Tasers. Televisions in color, multi-channel stereo, huge in size (a 19" was considered big in my day) and thin and light enough to hang on a wall. Videophone calls. Thousands of albums stored on a disk I can put in my pocket. The Internet, and plenty more.

But still, I have to see the final cost for something I buy, I hold back final payments on services in case the vendor does not perform, I get paper statements from my banks and credit card accounts, and I balance my bank accounts every month.

Sure thing - ears always have been and still are the final arbiter. There is a lot of truth to overpriced gear in the audio industry. And anyone who doesn't run away screaming from an ad for Quantum Effect Cables is, in my estimation, soon going to be separated from his month.

I really don't get why you have this (perhaps illusory) antipathy towards judging audio with one's ears. Few indeed think that ears are the *only* judge, though I grant you, there are a few.

I really think this thread is onto something or another- diet does affect your hearing. It would be nice to know pretty much how to control that. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Oh and I forgot to mention "sinus" or "sinus infection". When I suffered from such disease it definitely had impact on my hearing. For example, it feels like my head is inflated with air like a balloon. My ears are plugged up. I obviously can't hear well. So yes, health issue has a huge impact. Sinus infection is something I always had, at least several times a year. I no longer get that since I started consuming fruit / veggy juice (3 cups a day) 10 months ago. I haven't had any sinus since then.

But the weather change has impact on audio systems too not just human body. For example, one of the easiest things to hear the difference is distortion in the same track you know well of. With very low humidity level it will cause distortion in the upper registers in certain parts of the track. With high humidity (or sufficient amount of humidity) the distortion goes away. This was very easy for me to tell. My buddy witnessed the same.

If one can maintain hearing level in a controlled environment one can use his/her ears to make judgement on how the sound has changed. For example, a guy upgraded his cable or DAC or amp, you can hear the difference. But you may need at least 2 weeks to a month for the system (varies by system component) to settle due to the new hardware you replaced. Granted, some people have bad hearing to begin with. If he / she can't tell the difference, then maybe upgrading audio system isn't necessary.

I believe sound is very complex thing and can change very easily, as it has effect on both audio components and human body, and animals too I am guessing.

Bunny

• Focal CMS 65 speakers

But the weather change has impact on audio systems too not just human body. For example, one of the easiest things to hear the difference is distortion in the same track you know well of. With very low humidity level it will cause distortion in the upper registers in certain parts of the track. With high humidity (or sufficient amount of humidity) the distortion goes away. This was very easy for me to tell. My buddy witnessed the same.

I hope the weather isn't interfering too much with your PC's $40K power cable from Coconut-Audio

Here is my cook book for veggy / fruit juicing for music listening:

qg48.jpg

askv.jpg

1g83.jpg

vosr.jpg

7hnf.jpg

zf7k.jpg

uhkl.jpg

3ydo.JPG

- 1~2 bunches of broccoli

- 2~ 3 carrots (large size from 3 lb bag)

- 2 apples (with seeds)

- 1 pomegrante (seeds and membrane)

- 3 oranges

This one had more broccoli and less carrots hence the greener color on the juice. 3 carrots and 1 bunch broccoli gives a slight reddish color.

Anyways, here's my cool story, I mean, everyday diary.

After countless trials and errors and repeated tests I have found out the following to get maximum hearing for myself:

I come home at 6PM. Make juice (as described above) and drink a first cup for 10 minutes while listening to music or watch music video. Sound is OKAY, descent. My ears are slightly muddy so I don't get full sound.

15 minutes later I feel change in my ear. My ears start opening up. I can start hearing high frequencies better. The sound starts getting cool.

Continue to enjoy sound till around 7:30 PM. Go get another cup of fruit / veggy juice and start drinking while listening music / video. 15 minutes or so the hearing continues to improve, not a big change from 1st cup of juice. I enjoy listening to sound till around 8:30 PM.

Go get a third cup of veggy / fruit juice. Start drinking while listening to sound. A few minutes later WOAHHHHHH.... My ears are opened up more and I can hear sound much better. Especially the high frequencies where I can hear better. Sound is more open, spacious, airy, and COLD. The highest frequencies are silky, like the taste of cold mint flavor tooth paste. It's too addicting, I could not stop listening. It's better than cocaine. Just like the drugs and alcohol are addictive, it's the same with beautiful silky high frequencies. I can hear all the fine details in and outside of sound stage. Microdetails coming out of everywhere. When I eat bad food a lot of good sound qualities get blocked by my ears. Turned out my ears were the bottleneck.

I continue to have eargasm / joygasm till 10:20PM. Then go to kitchen and make dinner and eat right before going to bed.

Interesting I found is that I tried listening to music right after eating meal so late. The sound was STILL good. I was surprised. I am suspecting that the 3 cups of fruit / veggy juice possessed my body and had greater strength over bad food I just ate. Fruit / veggy defeated the bad food (I ate chicken soup with rice).

Now I go to bed like a happy cute puppy with tongue sticking out~ :)

This really works. I tried many many times with same result. If I just eat bad food and not drink veggy juice my ears get muddy most of the time and I get some sound quality back after the digestion is complete, but never sounded this good where all this crazy details (in all frequencies) and silky crystal clear highs I get with fruit juice every hour.

This technique works better for me. If I drink 3 cups of fruit juice at once I don't seem to get maximum hearing when it's time for bed i.e. 10 PM or so. Now I can enjoy ALL THE WAY till dinner time at 10:30 PM. I go to be around 10:50PM.

You guys might want to re-think and try this method and see if it works out for you. This is bunny's new patent. Oh I'm gonna be famous.

bunny

• Focal CMS 65 speakers

Because I found a new technique I found, I have the need to drink veggy juice at least 3 cups a day. I used to drink 2 cups before.

Buying fruit / veggy gets expensive. Around $25 a week, that's $100 a month. Since I'm broke I can't afford pomegranates anymore. They are too expensive, and getting harder to get now. I had to drop pomegranate from the recipe. The result is just as good.

A long ago I stopped putting oranges in the mix. My vision had gotten worse since then. So I put oranges back. My vision re-gained.

bunny

• Focal CMS 65 speakers