IGNORED

Super HiRez DSD Titles from Mobile Fidelity?

Given that Music Direct is essentially the parent company of Mobile Fidelity I think it unlikely, but not impossible, that they would give that property to a competitor like Acoustic Sounds to distribute.

I did read an interview from The Back Page of Stereophile with the president of Music Direct discussing the possibility of hi res downloads from MoFi but that was at least two years ago or more.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
--Snip--

I did read an interview from The Back Page of Stereophile with the president of Music Direct discussing the possibility of hi res downloads from MoFi but that was at least two years ago or more.

Things are moving pretty fast, so Music Direct may decide to come online before two years. So I hope.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

The problem with MoFi, as well as Audio Fidelity and other audiophile re-issue brands, is the matter of rights and licensing. They may only be licensed to produce a limited number of copies (hence, of physical media), and need re-licensing for downloads. And, for all we know, some major labels may balk at allowing long-term, unlimited distribution of their product via downloads, especially from a different mastering than their own.

Noticed that the 4 new Stereo DSD Downloads posted today on Super HiRez (Allman Brothers Band, Dean Martin, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Patricia Barber) first appeared as Mobile Fidelity Stereo SACDs.

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment | Acoustic Sounds

Will we be seeing more of the Mobile Fidelity SACD titles as DSD Downloads soon?

I read the descriptions at Super HiRez and I don't believe any of these are MFSL downloads.

Allman Brothers Band - Mercury

Dean Martin - Capitol

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Geffen

Patricia Barber - Verve

None of the descriptions mentioned MFSL or Mobile Fidelity, so these appear to be files from the actual labels not from MFSL.

Also if they were the MFSL remasters that previously appeared on the SACD they would have the "Original Master Recording" band across the top and they don't.

According their website MFSL isn't into downloads yet.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 1 month later...

The Allman Brothers Band DSD is definitely the MFSL mastering. I have the DSD and a friend has the MFSL PS3 rip. FooBar nailed them as exact DR, Peaks, and lengths. It may be that Mercury acquired the master from MFSL and released it as a DSD download...

There's a good chance the HDTRacks is also the MFSL; DR and lengths are identical. Peaks are remarkably close, within .02 to .18.

I mean think about it...while this is one of my favorite albums, really how many high res masterings would someone commission?

The Allman Brothers Band DSD is definitely the MFSL mastering. I have the DSD and a friend has the MFSL PS3 rip. FooBar nailed them as exact DR, Peaks, and lengths. It may be that Mercury acquired the master from MFSL and released it as a DSD download...

There's a good chance the HDTRacks is also the MFSL; DR and lengths are identical. Peaks are remarkably close, within .02 to .18.

I mean think about it...while this is one of my favorite albums, really how many high res masterings would someone commission?

All that tells you if they have the same dynamic range. The fact that the HDTRACKS version is identical makes it LESS likely they are the mofi mastering.

All that tells you if they have the same dynamic range. The fact that the HDTRACKS version is identical makes it LESS likely they are the mofi mastering.

I am afraid I don't follow that line of thought. My understanding was if the DR values were the same, I don't mean the overall DR but everything, that was indeed an indication of matching masters. What else would it mean? Why would it make it "LESS" likely? How would you determine if they were the same masters?

Frank Zappa
I am afraid I don't follow that line of thought. My understanding was if the DR values were the same, I don't mean the overall DR but everything, that was indeed an indication of matching masters. What else would it mean? Why would it make it "LESS" likely? How would you determine if they were the same masters?

If three different mastering engineers left the master's dynamic range intact with no compression/limiting, doesn't it follow that there would be no differences?? From what Kevin Reeves has said, when doing transfers from the masters, he makes sure there tape is perfectly aligned and does very little else unless needed.

Since Superhirez states no providence, it COULD be the mofi, it COULD be from Universal that's be converted to DSD, it could be something else. As far as we know, Hdtracks has converted titles derived from dsd to 24/88 or 176.4 NOT 24/96 or 192.

If three different mastering engineers left the master's dynamic range intact with no compression/limiting, doesn't it follow that there would be no differences?? From what Kevin Reeves has said, when doing transfers from the masters, he makes sure there tape is perfectly aligned and does very little else unless needed.

Since Superhirez states no providence, it COULD be the mofi, it COULD be from Universal that's be converted to DSD, it could be something else. As far as we know, Hdtracks has converted titles derived from dsd to 24/88 or 176.4 NOT 24/96 or 192.

Then it wouldn't be a remaster but a simple copy of the previous version. The levels and compression and EQ all have an impact on dynamic range (and I should qualify that as to my understanding since I am in no way an engineer). I have never seen a different mastering that absolutely matched all the levels given for the dynamic range readings and I have compared hundreds. Once again MoFi is owned by Music Direct who is a major competitor of Acoustic Sounds. I cannot understand anyway a business gives up the master they created to a competitor.

Frank Zappa