IGNORED

move digital pcm front channels to back channels

Thusk

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to research how to do this but couldn't find solution anywhere. I've got this old but imo still nice sounding reciever Marantz SR5200. Thing is, that the right front channel isn't working anymore :/ I've managed to move front stereo to the back channels using DTS Interactive on my Auzentech X-plosion Cinema sound card (somehow using "move stereo to the back" foobar plugin works even outside foobar) and results are quite good. However this solution is obviously lossy due to DTS being lossy and X-plosion being only 16/48... Now, the reciever is able to decode 24/96 pcm, and my built in Realtek HD Audio soundcard is able to feed 24/96 PCM, but only as front stereo...therefore I'm getting signal only from left front channel.

Is it possible to somehow remap front channels to back channels using windows/soundcard/registry settings?

I'm not gonna be able to afford new amp for quite a while and I would be happy to listen to my 24/96 collection without deteriorating sound quality too much by lossy DTS...

Win7 64bit, using toslink

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for any kind of help.

TOSLINK is stereo only, it will not let you pass rear channels in lossless PCM. You would have to re-route the signals inside your receiver.

The service manual of your receiver Marantz SR5200, SR6200 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics offers quite a lot of key information - block diagram, full schematics, PCBs.

The receiver has PRE-OUT. Using these outputs you can identify whether the problem with front channels is in the output power amplifier (after PRE-OUT, PRE-OUT outputs correct signal), or in the preamp/volume control (before PRE-OUT, PRE-OUT outputs no signal). If the culprit are the two power amp sections, you can re-route FR/FL signal to the remaining amps. If you have 4 working channels, you could even re-wire the AVR for bi-amping, utilizing two amps per channel, or setup bridge mode using two simple opamp invertors.

I have re-wired HK AVR430 (7.1) for bi-amping (5.1, front biamped) by cutting/soldering a few wires. Your AVR uses central PCB plane for signal distribution, it would require just a few cut/resoldered traces.

Thanks for the reply and great service manual!

I've got 6 channels working (out of 7) and only the "Right Front" one is broken....I will test pre-outs in the morning and post results. Do you think it would be possible to simply sacrifice "Surround Back Center" and reroute "Right Front" signal into it? That way I would have a fully functioning 5.1 reciever, or not?

Well, definitely no output signal from "Right Front" pre-out... does this change things?

That is bad. It means the problem is before the PRE-OUT, and you have no signal to feed to the other output amplifier.

Since you have complete documentation available, it may be possible to troubleshoot and repair your AVR. It may not be simple since the construction is pretty crammed, with boards not easily accessible when installed in place. Considering prices of similar used AVRs, fixing your AVR can end up not economical.

Perhaps not an ideal solution; but how about a budget DAC (Dragonfire or the cheep Shiit perhaps) and connect it via USB to the computer and to the rear channel input of the receivers 5.1 input.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.