IGNORED

Thinking out of the box..... Linkwitz LX521

Linkwitz leaves conventional speaker design behind.

"Box"-Radiaters as well as planar concepts.

His new, strictly form follows function design LX521 looks very avantgarde, like a sculpture.

A sculpture with acoustic integrity.

This year, Siegfried Linkwitz was honored with ALMAs "Titanium Driver Award",

which recognizes a specific technical contribution, accomplishment, or expertise in the loudspeaker industry.

The award was presented by Laurie Fincham (KEF, Harman Group, THX).

Recently, three experienced audio engineers listened to the Linkwitz LX521 speakers:

"On 31 Jan. 2014 I was at a hifi Gourmet in Stuttgart as a guest and got the Linkwitz boxes LX521 demonstrated. It should be a completely new sound experience, the prediction of my companion Jörg Wuttke...."

Google translate

Google Übersetzer

I have had the pleasure of listening to these speakers in Annapolis, MD. I can only say that they were the best sounding speakers that I have heard in anyone's home. They have a world class low end, a natural and full mid-range and are very good spatially. Oh, they image very, very well. They are active and require either an analogue signal processor or a DSP before amplification and require a minimum of three channels per side.

These speakers are DYI, (you need to purchase the plans from Mr. Linkwitz) but kits are available from Dr. Frank Brenner LX521 Constant Directivity Loudspeakers and Madisound. These speakers are designed to work in a home environment with little or no need for room treatment. Normal furnishings suffice. I will own these speakers before long.

Sonore I2S Server, W4S DAC 2, Anthony Gallo 3.5\'s, ModWright KWA 100 SE, Gallo Reference SA

+1

Their phantom imaging seems to be very close to what was recorded (when the recording was done properly).

When spotting the phantom-placement of the instruments with the test tracks of the Schoeps Microphone Showroom

wind ensemble, it was really comparable to the picture of the recording venue (5-6m behind the loudspeaker axis).

The best realism was reached with the XY or ORTF mic´d tracks.

A photo of the real recording venue is shown on this schoeps website.

You may try these tracks with your own speaker setup...(or maybe you have the opportunity to listen to a LX521 once)

I have build a pair of these and I am very pleased with them. So I cannot agree more with posts above :)

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

Because a picture says more then a thousand words... This is the pair I build.

o6pq4g7

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

There are more options. Recently the people behind Daudio - dipole – design – audio approached me if they could stop by for a listening session. They also make an open baffle speaker which uses better quality drivers then the Orion. They had never heard the LX521 before and wanted to know how this design performed compared to their own one.

A few weeks ago I went to an audio club evening were they gave a demo, and I must admit I was impressed with their creation.

Could be interesting, too.

However, I m veeery amazed when listening to the LX521...

Holographic soundstage 5m behind the speaker axis.

....quite a departure from conventional box speakers.

I am too. I won't be changing speakers for a long time I guess...

Also a thing to keep in mind, building them yourself will give you a lot of satisfaction when they are finished :)

There is "The Official LX521 Auditions Seeking Thread..."

ORION/PLUTO/LX521 Users Group • View topic - The Official Seeking LX521 Auditions Thread...

I heard the big Magnepans 3.?, before going for the Linkwitz Orions in 2007 (Linkwitz LX521 became available late 2012)

The Maggies were impressive and steered my attention away from conventional box speakers to dipoles. The Maggies have their pros and cons, I like their slim appearance.

When the Maggies want you exactly in the sweet spot,

the "Constant Directivity" radiation pattern of LX521 allows you to listen from "off"-side and still get nice phantom spatial impressions.

And ... there is this dry and powerful bass of the LX521 woofer V-frame, able to emit bass&drum pressure waves, that rock my listening chair.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

you really should try to listen to one of those LX521

With a well resolving program source (DAC etc), you might be experiencing the same as Peter Aczel: TheAudioCritic.com/plog/

The speakers naturally disappear

as soon as you start the music;

you don’t even have to close your eyes.

I would go even further—you have to make a slight mental effort

to be aware that the speakers are actually there! It’s uncanny...

A "Titanium Driver Award Promotion" is running for LX521 turnkey sytems. If interested, here is more.

• 1 month later...

Recently, selected guests had the opportunity to join the event at the CARHOTEL and go for a testride with a TESLA Model S, a BMW i3....and -of course- listen to the LX521

Even in this extremely open, reflective and asymetrical environment, the outstanding phantom imaging of LX521 could be demonstrated to an interested audience.

big_33776938_0_200-153.jpg

Details on News

big_33776993_0_376-300.jpg

big_33776959_0_204-153.JPG

IMG_0278.jpg

Recently, selected guests had the opportunity to join the event at the CARHOTEL and go for a testride with a TESLA Model S, a BMW i3....and -of course- listen to the LX521

Even in this extremely open, reflective and asymetrical environment, the outstanding phantom imaging of LX521 could be demonstrated to an interested audience.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12784[/ATTACH] ;[ATTACH=CONFIG]12785[/ATTACH]

Details on News

A location for the event would be nice.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

THe CARHOTEL is located in Stuttgart/Germany, the town famous for their car factories Daimler-Benz and Porsche.

Thank you. I was not aware of the CARHOTEL. I used to walk by the Daimler-Benz building in Stuttgart-Moehringen each morning, it was fun to see all the test cars in the lot.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...