IGNORED

Memory

Hey guys,

Well, it's time for another clueless question from me!

I have an Acer V5-552P-X617 with 6gigs of memory. It's pertty zippy, sounds OK, and pretty much a decent laptop for 500 bucks. Will adding more memory improve anything? I can expand up to 12 and I feel like doing something geeky and fun. I will be building a CAPS server in the spring, but I'm wondering what the advantages are for me to up upgrade now while I'm still using that laptop as a source.

Any recommendations on brand or type?

Thanks!

It won't help sound quality. If you use a player that loads into RAM then you have more to load, though again it isn't doing anything for you.

Now if the money is a non-issue and it would be fun as well as making you feel better....then go have fun. I would save the money from memory to go toward the CAPS server myself.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

It won't help sound quality. If you use a player that loads into RAM then you have more to load, though again it isn't doing anything for you.

Now if the money is a non-issue and it would be fun as well as making you feel better....then go have fun. I would save the money from memory to go toward the CAPS server myself.

That was the responsible, rational answer I was afraid of. You're right. Damn logic!

Thanks esldude! You're one of the ones on here where I get info. When I understand that is. I'm getting there!