IGNORED

Furniture

Stands, racks, isolators blah blah blah... all seems to make a difference yet might be (IMHO) the most difficult part of the purchase.

Why?

1) Price: 2k to 45k for a 3 tier stand? Perhaps I should just place my gear on the hood of a Porsche!

2) Availability: it seems in my neck of the woods that all the shops want to display their "better that the competitor/your" gear on their amazing isolating made on Mars racks, but NO ONE wants to sell you one.

3) Again with sales staff why is it my furniture shopping ALWAYS turns into "your speakers don't sound nothing like these.. here come listen.." or "You picked that as your pre-amp? PFFFFT... ours is better".

To name names (brands) the Solid-tech stuff seems to appear in all these shops (and might I add that I use the isolators on my current system and they do make a difference) BUT the shops are no help in pricing/piecing a rack together and the actual web-site is 3 years out dated with NO INFO.

So, here I am with a secondary system being pieced together for my office and nothing to put the components on. What do you use? Are you happy with it? Make me a suggestion as to who you deal with. I'd love to take my local business elsewhere.

I simply don't use audio racks, as I think they tend to be overpriced and generally unattractive for my particular aesthetic sense. There is another way...

By using individual platforms for each separate component (i.e., Barry Diament's DIY, Symposium Acoustic Svelte Shelf, Mapleshade maple platforms, etc.) and individual isolation footers, this allows you to forego the "audio rack" completely. You can simply put the platforms on any desk, console table, stand, whatever.

This gives you the freedom to select whatever non-audio furniture you like, which in my opinion looks better than any audio rack.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I have the Slamander as well and like it a lot - very flexible and nice sort of modern industrial design. If you want something more substantial Timbernation can custom make a stand according to any of your desires for a reasonable (not cheap) price.

I've just ordered a nice looking 4 tier rack from a British company called HiFi Racks (Hi Fi Stands - Hi Fi Racks - HI-Fi Stands). I had seen the Podium Reference at a local store and it was a good, solid piece of furniture. IMO, reasonably priced. $1300 for 2 inch thick cherry wood.

It's going in the living room, so it has to look decent. If it were in a basement, I would go much cheaper.

So, you're paying for a nice piece of furniture. Not sure if the sound is improved.

Bernard

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Several years ago I went with this modular and highly configurable rack system. I have 2 actually, and have been extremely happy with them. Not exactly inexpensive, but not outrageous either IMO.

Salamander: Synergy System

+1

I have two of their racks and they look good and cost relatively little and do all I expect a rack to do audio wise (hold up the gear and not vibrate audibly)

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Another alternative is a 19" rack enclosure. I've always used standard 19" rack mount hardware and built a rack into my library wall unit. In the "good old days", I'd either buy a 19" face plate from the manufacturer or make one. But modern equipment isn't designed for this, and it's not easy to adapt most current pieces to rack mounting. But I like the look and ease of setup of a rack - so I use rack-mount shelves.

DSCN1120.JPG

You can buy some very nice rack cabinets, install sturdy rack-mount shelves to fit your equipment sizes, and have a great looking setup for a lot less than the "audiophile furniture" I see advertised and featured in showrooms. You can get many brands and styles of rack enclosure in wood, laminate, metal or acrylic - with or without doors. These Schroff ProAir cabinets are modern-looking and very well made.

06800002.jpg

Another alternative is a 19" rack enclosure. I've always used standard 19" rack mount hardware and built a rack into my library wall unit. In the "good old days", I'd either buy a 19" face plate from the manufacturer or make one. But modern equipment isn't designed for this, and it's not easy to adapt most current pieces to rack mounting. But I like the look and ease of setup of a rack - so I use rack-mount shelves.

Proper rack enclosures are modular and allow you to use a lot of great cable management and other accessories. I even used to have a guitar hanger that would use the same holes as a piece of gear (with longer screws). Unfortunately getting custom faceplates costs a couple hundred dollars a piece (from Middle Atlantic), so I just use rack shelves.

The guy who designs the HRS isolation stuff (which can unfortunately get very, very pricey) has been known to recommend getting an IKEA rack, and use his HRS isolation bases which come at various price points.

The HRS racks can get very expensive. I got their newest one, because it was cheapest, and wood, and the design aesthetic mattered a LOT to me, and my wife. But there is no doubt, that this set me back in saving for equipment. I had a hard time finding an IKEA rack, that would work in my space, and have enough shelf space, with an HRS isolation base, to allow breathing room for my ARC Ref 110, so just bit the bullet and got the HRS rack. I am very happy with it - it is modular, and built well (as it should for the price)....anyway, hope it helps as just an option -- if I had a media console, or any console table for that matter I would get an HRS isolation base and no rack at all, but I couldn't fit one in, nor had one!

DSC_0832.jpg

sorry, couldn't figure out how to upload larger images

DSC_0839.jpg

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Thanks...now if I only I had a dime for every time another man has told me I have a nice rack....

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

I've just ordered a nice looking 4 tier rack from a British company called HiFi Racks (Hi Fi Stands - Hi Fi Racks - HI-Fi Stands). I had seen the Podium Reference at a local store and it was a good, solid piece of furniture. IMO, reasonably priced. $1300 for 2 inch thick cherry wood.

It's going in the living room, so it has to look decent. If it were in a basement, I would go much cheaper.

So, you're paying for a nice piece of furniture. Not sure if the sound is improved.

Bernard

Hifi Racks is decent solid kit. I have a 5 shelf unit myself. A doddle to assemble and set up. The most obvious advantage is that you can set up a shelf at a time, install kit and properly route cables before putting on the next tier.

Doesnt look too bad either.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Thanks...now if I only I had a dime for every time another man has told me I have a nice rack....

This post is worthless without pics. :-)

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

• 2 months later...
Salamander won this one...

For all your recommendations and help, Thanks.

Excellent choice. Looks fantastic!

With the money I saved 'm gonna get my lady a rack....

I'm sure your significant other will be pleased as well .. or should I say you'll both be pleased ;)

I used to have a wood tv stand between my speakers and it killed the low frequency bass responses. I recently got a Solidsteel rack and the bass is back. The tv stand definitely looks much better in the living room but I can live with a stereo rack if it gives me better sound.

I went through the same dilemma when looking for furniture for my audio & video systems. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted (at a price I wanted) so I turned to the InterMetro system from Container Store.

Easy to customize to your system(s) now and in the future (just add/delete shelves). I included a sliding drawer to store all of the accessories (remotes, cables, etc.) which is very useful. The store even cut the vertical posts to my specification at no charge. You will need to purchase separately wood panels or something similar if you use the wire mesh shelves.