IGNORED

Songbird 1.1.2 (OS-X)

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using songbird, specifically:

1. Using the Apple Remote Add-on (doesn't work for me)

Have tried disabling all other add-ons, made no difference

Tried re-installing the add-on, made no difference

2. Getting it to interface in a similar way to iTunes / Apple "Menu"

Is this possible?

3. In a previous forum topic I explained that iTunes 8.1.1 and even 8.2 is sounding distorted/poor/substandard.

Has anyone had the same experience?

Where can I find an OS-X iTunes 7.7.1 to download and try as this version's sound quality may by OK

I am looking for a good GUI to be able to access my tunes - I don't have a Windows PC anymore and am highly

unlikely to change computer so using a Windows PC is not an option for me.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Darren[br]____________________________________________________________________[br]Macbook OS-X; Beresford TC-7520 SE Caiman via Toslink; Marantz SR9600 AV Amp; Neat Motive 1 Speakers

From your description, I am getting the idea that you'd prefer to have iTunes rather than Songbird, as long as you could get it to sound as good as iTunes 7 sounded on your system?

I also can't help thinking that there might be some problem with your OS, rather than it being an issue with iTunes 8 alone. The difficulty you've described with getting Apple Remote Add On (I take it this is an add on to Songbird?) to work properly might be another symptom.

If you haven't already tried it, the Disk Utility program (in Applications/Utilites) has a "Repair disk permissions" button, which can sometimes fix system problems. It's not a silver bullet, but it's worth a try. You may also need to try re-installing iTunes (whichever version you can get / want) afterwards.

A complete system re-install is also worth a try. I know it can be a real pain to do this, but it does clear things up quite effectively.

Best of luck getting a result.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion - did this, no joy.

A full system re-build - may look into this, sounds like lots of grief...

Had not in fact tried my macbook & iTunes 7.7.1 through my audio set-up... iTunes 8.1 was my first go, which went badly.

Managed to download 7.7.1 this evening but having trouble getting it up and running as iTunes is looking for the 8.2 version for the song catalogue... thanks Mr. Jobs for making it backwards compatible and also for not making previous versions available without having to resort to P2P.

I will continue to try to get 7.7.1 to work and see what gives, although full system restore might be worthwhile doing anyway.

D

Darren[br]____________________________________________________________________[br]Macbook OS-X; Beresford TC-7520 SE Caiman via Toslink; Marantz SR9600 AV Amp; Neat Motive 1 Speakers

I have done a test this evening with the original 60GB hard disk that I got with my macbook.

It has iTunes 7.0.x installed and I'm delighted to say that there was no audible distortion (sample using apple lossless), although the sound could have been more "alive" but I put this down to the DAC.

Seems like a complete system re-build is in order :-( ... then the purchase of a decent DAC :-)

Suggestions on a system re-build in OSX very welcome indeed.

Basically I think that I need to start with a re-formatted HDD and reboot/config direct from the OSX 10.4/Tiger CD that was shipped with my macbook in Aug 2006 and update online for the latest software.

Alternatively I could purchase OSX 10.5/Leopard - thoughts?

Darren

I was going to say rather than buying a copy of Leopard now, you might be better off waiting a few months and see what Snow Leopard offers you ... but then I wasn't sure if your MacBook is a G5 or an Intel one?

Not sure how much an upgrade to Leopard will gain you.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Eloise,

My macbook is an intel.

Looks like a complete system redo is on the cards.

D

I use iTunes 7.2 and have resisted updating since then. iTunes 8 just adds more bloat, and I don't use iTunes for video or tv shows so......

Intel iMac C2D, iTunes>ALAC>Airport Express, Audiolab 8000CD player, Audiolab 8000S amp, Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers, Chord Rumour speaker cable, Mark Grant Interconnects, Grado SR80\'s, Sennheiser PX100\'s, 5G iPod

And iTunes have a big problem : it has no native flac files support. THe existing solutions are not good enough. Songbird rocks and play perfectly high-res. audio files.

Macbook 13.1\" - MAudio Firewire Audiophile - Profigold wire - NAD C 320 BEE - Triangle Comete 202 - Apple Nano 2nd Generation with Rockbox - Songbird - Spotify