IGNORED

Recommend Bach orchestral works

Thanks Musicophile. Lots great music to discover!

Indeed.

Maybe somebody else can help out with the keyboard concertos?

I have at least 5 different versions, all with artists I usually admire for Bach (Hewitt, Hantaï, Perahia, Schiff, plus the Café Zimmermann's that are spread out over several albums) but still am not fully satisfied with any of them.

Suggestions?

Indeed.

Maybe somebody else can help out with the keyboard concertos?

I have at least 5 different versions, all with artists I usually admire for Bach (Hewitt, Hantaï, Perahia, Schiff, plus the Café Zimmermann's that are spread out over several albums) but still am not fully satisfied with any of them.

Suggestions?

This is getting expensive. In my own search for any new versions of the Bach keyboard concertos, I actually didn't find any of Johann Sebastian, but instead Carl Philipp Emmanuel by my beloved Andreas Staier:

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach : Concertos pour clavier | Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach par Andreas Staier – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Out came the credit card, Qobuz downloader is active right now.

0794881984626_230.jpg

Strongly suggest to add this one to the list.

What do you think about this one:

Johann Sebastian Bach : Violin Concertos & Sonatas - Janine Jansen (violin)

0002894786021_230.jpg

Especially I like Concerto in C Minor for Violin and Oboe, at least from the snippets.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10656[/ATTACH]

Especially I like Concerto in C Minor for Violin and Oboe, at least from the snippets.

Jansen is playing with her family on this one. It has a lot of charm, although you can clearly hear that Jansen comes from a classical/romantic background.

I really like Rachel Podger though, and Channel Classics great sound is another argument in favor. If you like a more "modern" approach to Bach, you could also check out Julia Fischer or Hilary Hahn, both are nice in their way.

On a more historically informed approach there is also the slightly older (late 90s) Andrew Manze recordings on Harmonia Mundi (with Podger playing literally second fiddle...)

For the Bach Orchestral Suites, I picked up the Freiburger Baroque Orchestra on Haronia Mundi as a hirez download in the eClassical Christmas sale. Very fine performances. I still really like the old Raymond Leppard English Chamber Orchestra set on Philips from the '70's. I have it on vinyl but I saw several copies used for $4 each on CD on Amazon. I don't know how the Philips CD's sound compared to the very fine vinyl. But for the price, you can't lose and the performances are great.

For the Bach Keyboard Concerti on Piano (rather than Harpsichord) I always like Angela Hewitt, CD's on Hyperion. Not sure whether there are hirez downloads.

+1 for Rachel Podger on the violin playing almost anything.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10656[/ATTACH]

Jansen is playing with her family on this one. It has a lot of charm, although you can clearly hear that Jansen comes from a classical/romantic background.

That is true, however sometimes I like less baroque playing even for baroque work. Maybe it is not so original, but for classical novice it may work. Or I have more classical/romantic ears ;-) I will for this particular C minor playing on Julia and Hilary works as well just for comparison.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I have found this one: eClassical - Bach ? Oboe Concertos recorded by BIS in 24/44. On the violin Ibragimova and on the oboe Ogrintchouk, Alexei with Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Sounds pretty nice from the snippets, what do you think?

4459297-origpic-555f88.jpg

And the youtube:

--

Krzysztof Maj

I have found this one: eClassical - Bach ? Oboe Concertos recorded by BIS in 24/44. On the violin Ibragimova and on the oboe Ogrintchouk, Alexei with Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Sounds pretty nice from the snippets, what do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10664[/ATTACH]

And the youtube:

Well, there is a reason why I didn't list the Oboe concertos in my list above. The issue is literally that no concerto that was "officially" written for the Oboe actually survived. However, many of the concertos have been recycled one way or another from another solo instrument (as a composer you had to be flexible at the time and work with whatever was available for a performance, not the other way round), so what Ogrintchouk does here, take the keyboard concertos (check out the BWV numbers) and other sources and convert them, is actually relatively legit (the keyboard concertos may even have been oboe concertos in a previous version that hasn't survived).

Judging from the snippets, which is always hard, the oboe is well played, but the orchestra to my ears could still be a little bit lighter and have more "swing". However, it is better than the recording I have of these works which is with Heinz Holliger and the Academy of St Martin, as well as another version from the Camerata Köln. So if you like it go for it.

Well, there is a reason why I didn't list the Oboe concertos in my list above. The issue is literally that no concerto that was "officially" written for the Oboe actually survived. However, many of the concertos have been recycled one way or another from another solo instrument (as a composer you had to be flexible at the time and work with whatever was available for a performance, not the other way round), so what Ogrintchouk does here, take the keyboard concertos (check out the BWV numbers) and other sources and convert them, is actually relatively legit (the keyboard concertos may even have been oboe concertos in a previous version that hasn't survived).

Judging from the snippets, which is always hard, the oboe is well played, but the orchestra to my ears could still be a little bit lighter and have more "swing". However, it is better than the recording I have of these works which is with Heinz Holliger and the Academy of St Martin, as well as another version from the Camerata Köln. So if you like it go for it.

Well, so it seems that's Bach music is tough to choose the right performance easily, at least to me.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Suggestions?

Personally, I find piano sound doesn't seem to go well with these pieces, and harpsichord is generally too weak to go against an orchestra.

But in any case, you might want take a look at Retrospect Ensemble's version. I have one track from this album as it's a Linn Christmas give away from 2012. Depending on what you're looking for, it's perhaps worth a try.

Personally, I find piano sound doesn't seem to go well with these pieces, and harpsichord is generally too weak to go against an orchestra.

But in any case, you might want take a look at Retrospect Ensemble's version. I have one track from this album as it's a Linn Christmas give away from 2012. Depending on what you're looking for, it's perhaps worth a try.

Thanks, will check it out.

Just found another one that sounds interesting, although I've never heard of the artists:

Concerti à Cembalo concertato | Johann Sebastian Bach par Aapo Hakkinen – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Does anybody have this one?

Just found another one that sounds interesting, although I've never heard of the artists:

Concerti à Cembalo concertato | Johann Sebastian Bach par Aapo Hakkinen*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

Does anybody have this one?

Nope. But just looked at the track list. Putting Italian Concerto together with a bunch of harpsichord concertos... The guy is either dead serious, or trying to be funny :)