IGNORED

SOTM USB card vs PPAstudio USB Card v2

Inbest

Thanks for that. What do you mean by "will eliminate?" I ordered both last week from Sonore/Simple Designs before seeing this thread and mine look like the ones in the SOtM site link above. I've been planning to use the SATA filter on the HDD with my A-V files. Any thoughts about the power fan one? Thought I better ask before installing.

Looks like the fan filter is moot, since I'd have to disassemble a lot to get to the main sys fan port, which is off in a tight corner. Can't tell much difference with the SATA filter straight out of the box, except a little lower volume.

(is there no way to edit posts?)

The new version is not available yet and there is nothing wrong with the current filter you have.

Jesus R

Well, having a straight connection off the mobo is preferable to going through the card. I hesitate to modify it.

I use Nexus silent fans, front and back case and attached to the Megahalems cooler. All three run under 1000 rpm. In ordering the fan filter, I wasn't thinking, as install difficulty aside, one filter wouldn't cut it.

• 2 months later...

A question to be asked on JPlay's JCAT forum?

Btw, it's probably worth posting here that a few of us (so far) have found our computers hang at the Post screen with the JCat card and certain Gigabyte boards (Z68, Z87). Gigabyte tested the card and couldn't replicate it. Remains a puzzle (and money wasted on shipping).

Good comment. I've been using the Core Audio Kora LPS with the SOtM PCI card, and just received a Lightspeed USB cable (standard version). After buying the latter (used), however, I've found a used PS Audio PWD with Bridge at a really good price, with the idea of comparing an ethernet connection to my A/V dedicated HDD with the just mentioned combo. It'd be nice to be able to get rid of all that hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about a regulated 5 volts, I'm curious about a situation that in one form or another we've all probably encountered. Let's say you're using a dual-ended USB cable and turn off the SOtM PCI card's switch for the purpose of swapping dacs, but you have't shut down the computer (which would in principle be the safest way). That means the card's power port is still active (5v?), even if there's nothing playing (the switch only kills the data port). To what degree is such a cable swap apt to cause problems or worse for a dac (I have a PS Audio PWD, but am asking generally)? Would it matter whether the power to the card is coming from a PSU or from an LPS that has voltage set for the card? What about the other way, switching or unplugging/replugging USB cables feeding the same dac?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at these pictures from the standpoint of the JCAT USB card. Some of us, e.g., those with Gigabyte Z68 boards, have been stymied because booting with it can't get past the Post screen (had to go back to a SOtA PCI). But these risers still all look like they'd be attached to a PCI-e port, which seems to be where the hang up is. Btw, is a fan really necessary for a USB audio card in an air cooled environment?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I wonder if that depends on what you have between USB card and dac. If nothing more than a cable, then I agree with AudioPhil. However, if there's some serious transformations occurring on the back end, such as via a LanRover or perhaps a Regen, then what is supplying that chain takes on additional importance. In that case, a good quality SATA cable may suffice for the SSD. That's how my system is currently set up.

To be clear, the question I was addressing assumed a separate USB card, the question being whether to use a single LPS to feed the card or the SSD (or mobo). If it's a matter of one LPS, then I would say the card would be the priority, all the more so if there's some transformation going on between card and dac. That would provide that process with a cleaner signal. Then if one wants to expand, they can work back on the computer side with various LPS's or isolations.