IGNORED

SOTM USB card vs PPAstudio USB Card v2

Inbest

TJHUB,

I was able to have the PCIe SOMT card (with a 9v Mojo audio LPS), in my Zuma, work well with windows Server 2012, optimized, in minimum mode (not Core, now windowed). The improvement is very clear. I did not try core mode because I use a standalone computer (not two) and want wifi access to use Jremote.

Cheers,

VPN

Hi Vicente

You can use JRemote and WiFi in minimal-server mode as well (almost as good as core). Please email me if you need further assistance.

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi Folks

You can order your Paul Pang Parts via my store and get some reduced prices as well: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/store.html. For non-listed parts please email me.

Best,

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 2 weeks later...
The PPA card works in core mode others have complained about the sotom and core mode is well

al

There seem to be different versions of the SOtM card. I once had one myself, and it worked flawlessly in core mode. But i had a hand full of customers which could not make it work in core mode, that's true.

Phil or Paul Pang?

I know Pang is selling a knockout server but wasn't aware of Phil doing the same.

Well, it is a Pang knockout server. This is what we used for Al's Build:

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD]- AudiophileOptimizer

- PPA audiophile USB card V2

- PPA RED USB cable, 1m

- PPA SSD 32GB

- PPA SSD 64GB

- 2 x PPA RED SATA cable, 40cm-straight plug, regular size

- 2 x PPA USB-A to SATA silver power cable-100cm, custom made

- PPA Pico-Box PSU (12V), 4-Pin MiniDIN Connector

- 2 x Bakoon BPS-02, 5V (silver)-including USB-Adapter

- MSI Z87M-G43

- Core i7-4790T

- PPA Clock Module Upgrade for MSI Mainboard

- PPA 8GB modified DDR3-1600 RAM (2x4GB)

- PPA DDR3 power filter module (2 modules)

- Red Wine Audio - Black Lightning (LFP Edition)-2 cell pack, 12V, 4-Pin MiniDIN

- A-Tech Mini-Client 2800HP in black

Best,

Phil

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 3 months later...

You can't see the card in device manager, that's totally normal behavior. But you will see it's Root Hubs, etc. in Device Manager, have a look under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

The other device is still persistent because it has no relation to the USB card, it's most likely something of your CPU (integrated graphics) or probably your graphic card's HDMI output.

The PPA card does not need any drivers if used with Windows Server 2012/R2 since this OS brings native USB 3.0 support. But one can still install the Renesas drivers if he wants to.

Hi

yes it's working as expected, all good. You only need an lps/battery for the card if the device you connect it with needs to be powered through the card. If your DAC/DDC is powered separately, no need to have extra separated power for the card.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

As far as i know this is not the case, but i wil check with PPA and let you all know.

The PPA card does use the power of the PCIe slot if no external power is connected. If you do connect an external power supply, the card will automatically use the external power supply for itself and the connected DAC/DDC.

GREAT to know. So even if the connected dac does not need USB power, providing an external power supply to the PPA card could help?

Exactly. BUT, it's still way more important to have clean power to your OS SSD :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've a question regarding PPA USB card (also applies for SoTM). I don't want to use a PCI/E riser card at all for my music server build. I've heard it might degrade performance.

What determines that I can get away without using a riser card? What motherboard/chassis should I use? Does motherboard form factor (micro ATX/mini ITX) matters? Can anyone provide some example build (motherboard/chassis) that didn't require riser card to install PPA usb card? It'd be really helpful to get the info.

No Riser needed: http://www.highend-audiopc.com/PDF/hardware-setup.pdf

• 2 years later...