IGNORED

The product of constants is a constant: a bit rate question.

JDutko

Hi Folks,

I have a simple bit rate question regarding FLAC files. (I have been looking at the bit rate values of various FLAC files using JRiver and MediaMonkey.)

If bit rate is the product of constants why do FLAC files have unique bit rates? That is, all FLAC files ripped with a given bit depth, sample rate, and channel number, all constants, should share an identical value for bit rate. For example, FLAC files ripped at CD quality should all display an identical bit rate, 1,411.2 kbps (bit depth x sample rate x # of channels; 16 x 44100 x 2).

What am I missing here? Are these average bit rates? Is it connected to compression?

Thanks for any help with this question!

What am I missing here? Are these average bit rates? Is it connected to compression?

Yes, it is the bit rate AFTER lossless compression. I think it would be more smart by JRiver and MediaMonkey to display (maybe in addition) the uncompressed bit rate.

This is becoming an FAQ :)

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

Yes, it is the bit rate AFTER lossless compression. I think it would be more smart by JRiver and MediaMonkey to display (maybe in addition) the uncompressed bit rate.

This is becoming an FAQ :)

Thanks for the reply!

Sure, its easy enough to calculate the bit rate because the bit depth, sample rate, and stereo channel are listed, but why not just include the bit rate too?

Still, there is something not obvious about how the "compression bit rate" is determined. Of course I am too uninformed about the technical aspects of digital sampling to justify this question; nevertheless, bit rate is related to bit depth and sample rate and does not include file size, so how can its value be altered when considering compression? Why would compression/decompression change the bit rate?

• 2 weeks later...