Sign in to follow this  
sbgk

JLP music player

Well I tried -b 100000:100000 and wow. It was as though everything snaps into focus. Lovely taut bass and beautifully relaxed but detailed. Full harmonic richness brought out. Definitely the best yet for me. Using -a 10.

I am guessing that this setting does mean it is a full memory load before play, as the SSD red light did not come on once during the track.

Of course YMMV. I have a low powered Atom PC, so it may not be the same for others.

Would be interested if others have tried that setting and their findings.

Thanks again Gordon.

think I've said before the ideal setting would be no decode buffer. I still use 1000:2000000. The -q option makes a difference, I keep trying to persuade people.

You should be able to tell a difference between 1, 10 or 23 etc in the latency.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Have just uploaded squeezelite v29 - malloc for silence buffer removed, such a small change, but quite a big impact.

Very musical now, hearing things I hadn't heard before, surprising really, makes v28 sound a bit rough.

Listening to Academy of Ancient Music, Richard Egarr Bach: Brandenburg Concertos and able to follow each instrument.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

squeezelite v29b - pause is disabled, compare with v29 to see effect of having extra check in render loop.

pressing pause will just repeat whatever is in the buffer so skip back first and then press pause.

I've got a question regarding the affinityset.exe files on your google drive.

I assume that they make the squeezebox process run on one particular CPU core, but I may be mistaken?

Do we need to double click the .exe files to make them work?

Is the setting permanent or does it need to be done every time the PC is started?

Can someone please educate me regarding these files?

thanks

Erin

I've got a question regarding the affinityset.exe files on your google drive.

I assume that they make the squeezebox process run on one particular CPU core, but I may be mistaken?

Do we need to double click the .exe files to make them work?

Is the setting permanent or does it need to be done every time the PC is started?

Can someone please educate me regarding these files?

thanks

Erin

yes, yes, no, yes

better to use this from Taggart

Have written a console program some month ago that allows to set priority class and affinity mask to programs you wish to start (Mode: -exe) or to already running processes (Mode: -set).

Additionally it's possible to set priority and/or affinity to all running processes except some excluded ones (Mode: -all).

The latter can be used to lower all processes except JLP, MQn etc. for example.

Tasker.exe has no runtime dependencies and might be useful for those of you who are about to play around with those settings.

Calling tasker.exe without any parameter will prompt usage, short description and some typical examples.

Code: Select all

Usage:

tasker -exe -x process [-r params] [-s show] [-p priority] [-a affinity] [-e]

tasker -set -x process [-p priority] [-a affinity] [-e]

tasker -all [-x excluded] [-p priority] [-a affinity] [-e]

-exe Execute <process>.

-set Set priority class and/or affinity mask for running <process>.

-all Set priority class and/or affinity mask for all running

processes excecpt processes listed in <excluded>.

-x process Process to be executed or set.

-x excluded Processes to be excluded (Mode:-all).

Use Pipe-Symbol for separation. See example #3.

-r params Parameters for <process> to be executed.

-s show Display mode for <process>.

{hidden|normal|maximized|minimized}

-p priority Priority class for <process>.

{dontchange|low|belownormal|normal|

abovenormal|high|realtime}

-a affinity Affinity mask for <process>.

E.g. on a machine with four cores use:

0001 to bind <process> to Core #0 only.

0010 to bind <process> to Core #1 only.

1010 to bind <process> to Core #1 and #3.

1111 to bind <process> to all Cores.

-e Eliminates all console messages.

Examples:

tasker -exe -x "D:\Special.exe" -r "D:\Test.txt" -s normal -p high -a 0010 -e

tasker -set -x "Cool.exe" -p realtime -a 0010

tasker -all -x "Special.exe|Cool.exe" -p low -a 1101 -e

tasker -all -p low -a 1101

Download Link:

http://bit.ly/1e2tS6v

Example 1 (see at the end of code section):

Runs "D:\Special.exe" with parameter "D:\Test.txt", shows it normal, sets priority to "high", sets affinity to core #1. No console messages.

Example 2:

Runs "Cool.exe", sets priority to "realtime", sets affinity to core #1.

Example 3:

Sets priority of all running processes (except "Special.exe and Cool.exe) to "low" and binds them to core #0, core #2 and core #3. No console messages.

Example 4:

Sets priority of all running processes to "low" and binds them to core #0, core #2 and core #3.

Cheers, Christoph

Tír Na HiFi • View topic - JLP wdm-ks player

I've found v27 a little bit thin and forward, whereas v29 has much tighter bass and incredibly good separation.

v29b - no pause does not offer too much for me, and the buffer repeating when the playlist ends is not friendly at all.

Keep it up, I prefer JLP to MQn, even though my hard to find mp3 320k lost albums cannot be played...

Thank you!

I've found v27 a little bit thin and forward, whereas v29 has much tighter bass and incredibly good separation.

v29b - no pause does not offer too much for me, and the buffer repeating when the playlist ends is not friendly at all.

Keep it up, I prefer JLP to MQn, even though my hard to find mp3 320k lost albums cannot be played...

Thank you!

If you want to play MP3's follow my instructions:

First you must put the LAME.EXE to c:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Bin\

close LMS

1. make file called 'custom-convert.conf'

2. put these lines in there:

mp3 pcm * *
   # F
   [lame] --decode -t --mp3input --silent $FILE$ -

3. copy custom-convert.conf to c:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\

4. Start LMS and go to: Advanced<File Types<MP3 and set PCM:LAME

5. Apply

Done

It decodes MP3 on-the-fly to PCM but it's not perfect solution. The best SQ decoder for all audio file types is FFMPG but I have no idea how to install it to the LMS.

Thank you!

Just convert it to wav or flac and make a note that is from an mp3 source.

I will play just fine without any further loss of quality, and better than on-the-fly conversion.

Cheers

If you want to play MP3's follow my instructions:

First you must put the LAME.EXE to c:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Bin\

close LMS

1. make file called 'custom-convert.conf'

2. put these lines in there:

mp3 pcm * *
   # F
   [lame] --decode -t --mp3input --silent $FILE$ -

3. copy custom-convert.conf to c:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\

4. Start LMS and go to: Advanced<File Types<MP3 and set PCM:LAME

5. Apply

Done

It decodes MP3 on-the-fly to PCM but it's not perfect solution. The best SQ decoder for all audio file types is FFMPG but I have no idea how to install it to the LMS.

Thank you! Will try it once I get home...

Plus, my wife will be able to use Squeezer for her 'oh my god how can you listen to that crappy 128k mp3s and not realize it is burning your ears' kind of music. ;)

Thank you! Will try it once I get home...

Plus, my wife will be able to use Squeezer for her 'oh my god how can you listen to that crappy 128k mp3s and not realize it is burning your ears' kind of music. ;)

I call those people lucky once. They don't need to spend tons of money to enjoy music...:)

Hi 2channel,

just saw your blog entry for mqn

2channelaudio: MQn minimalist PC music player - The king of sound quality

How resolving is your system ? Just wanted to know so I could calibrate your feedback a bit.

I know jlp is far from the finished product, but I thought I was hearing further into the music with v30 than I was able to do with MQn ie some things MQn just couldn't resolve, but could easily follow with jlp. Still think the streaming aspect of jlp not helping.

V30 has a problem on my system. I can see it playing, but no sound out of speakers. I am running -a 23 -b 1000:2000000. I tried something extremly different like -b 2000000:2000000, still the same.

V30 has a problem on my system. I can see it playing, but no sound out of speakers. I am running -a 23 -b 1000:2000000. I tried something extremly different like -b 2000000:2000000, still the same.

if you're playing hirez then will be a number of seconds before music starts.

uploaded v31

Got it...I wasn't expecting it takes for so long.

I was able to play one album (24/192), so once I switched to something else, it stopped working at all. It doesn't matter if 16/44 or 24/192.

I was able to play one album (24/192), so once I switched to something else, it stopped working at all. It doesn't matter if 16/44 or 24/192.

The same happened to me with v30-v31. Went back to v29, works like a charm!

EDIT: increased buffers and now it plays. Can it be that the file does not fit into the buffer?

The same happened to me with v30-v31. Went back to v29, works like a charm!

EDIT: increased buffers and now it plays. Can it be that the file does not fit into the buffer?

What is your -a and -b that it works?

-a 10 -b 1000:2000000

Mine is -a 23 -b 1000:2000000 (tried -b 2000:2000000 too), something is wrong. I did play one album and that's it. I stopped the services, tried different things, no success...back to MQn.

Mine is -a 23 -b 1000:2000000 (tried -b 2000:2000000 too), something is wrong. I did play one album and that's it. I stopped the services, tried different things, no success...back to MQn.

It's weird, my problems started with 24/192... then went back to v29, then back to v31 and voila'

Hi 2channel,

just saw your blog entry for mqn

2channelaudio: MQn minimalist PC music player - The king of sound quality

How resolving is your system ? Just wanted to know so I could calibrate your feedback a bit.

I know jlp is far from the finished product, but I thought I was hearing further into the music with v30 than I was able to do with MQn ie some things MQn just couldn't resolve, but could easily follow with jlp. Still think the streaming aspect of jlp not helping.

Hi SBGK

I'm aware JLP is just starting out....and its early days.

I love what you are doing with the software, and I will continue to support JLP....

I don't think I was negative in any way? was I?

Please always view my comments as constructive...

It may very well be possible JLP v30 is sounding better than Mqn, I haven't tried any JLP versions past v27, the comments I left on Tir Na reference v27 only. I look forward to giving v30 a spin this weekend. ;)

As for my system.....

I believe my hifi setup (and ear) is transparent/capable enough to translate relatively small changes in SQ, but absolutely not the last word in transparency. To be honest the comments I made referencing particular v27 rendering qualities (again this is my opinion) would be audible in systems costing much less than mine.

Cheers

Hi SBGK

I'm aware JLP is just starting out....and its early days.

I love what you are doing with the software, and I will continue to support JLP....

I don't think I was negative in any way? was I?

Please always view my comments as constructive...

It may very well be possible JLP v30 is sounding better than Mqn, I haven't tried any JLP versions past v27, the comments I left on Tir Na reference v27 only. I look forward to giving v30 a spin this weekend. ;)

As for my system.....

I believe my hifi setup (and ear) is transparent/capable enough to translate relatively small changes in SQ, but absolutely not the last word in transparency. To be honest the comments I made referencing particular v27 rendering qualities (again this is my opinion) would be audible in systems costing much less than mine.

Cheers

wasn't reading anything into the comments, just trying to validate my own findings. Thanks for the feedback. I run jlp with mmcss disabled, don't know if that's a factor. There's also the fact that jlp is not as bassy as mqn so there may be more detail apparent due to that shift in balance.

wasn't reading anything into the comments, just trying to validate my own findings. Thanks for the feedback. I run jlp with mmcss disabled, don't know if that's a factor. There's also the fact that jlp is not as bassy as mqn so there may be more detail apparent due to that shift in balance.

Thanks SBGK,

Agree with those comments.

I like a more active and weighted mid and lower bass band.

So this would absolutely impact my conclusions in regard to the software I prefer.

I have mmcss on.

As I use my PC for a XBMC when I'm not listening to audio.

Its a pain enabling and re-enabling.

I previously tried mmcss off, but did no critical listening.

I'll give it another shoot.

Cheers again.

looking forward to v31. You move very quickly ;)

Thanks SBGK,

Agree with those comments.

I like a more active and weighted mid and lower bass band.

So this would absolutely impact my conclusions in regard to the software I prefer.

I have mmcss on.

As I use my PC for a XBMC when I'm not listening to audio.

Its a pain enabling and re-enabling.

I previously tried mmcss off, but did no critical listening.

I'll give it another shoot.

Cheers again.

looking forward to v31. You move very quickly ;)

It seems I'm on a hiding to nothing releasing interim versions, at this stage all I'm trying to do is convince myself that there's something worth persuing SQ wise in jlp ie ks over wasapi.

It seems I'm on a hiding to nothing releasing interim versions, at this stage all I'm trying to do is convince myself that there's something worth persuing SQ wise in jlp ie ks over wasapi.

I certainly don't feel that way and appreciate, as always, the results of your obviously intensive time spent on development for us to enjoy.

I suspect that many others do as well, even if they don't say so.

My personal feedback is that what you have done with SqueeezeLite, is to turn it into the best player that I have experienced and a truly amazing result.

For me, the only regret is the gradual deprecation of various SqueezeLite functionality such as Volume, Progress Bar & and now Pause; all in the cause of SQ of course, but IMHO that approach takes away from the experience of why I turned to SqueezeLite in the first place from MQn. I also suspect that those removals do not make material difference to SQ.

I would like to suggest that these SqueezeLite features are restored at some future point, or there is a second build that includes them, and that the 'hair shirt' approach to a minimal player (with KS) is taken forward on MQn.

Well that's my position. What do others think?

Thanks

Jonathan