IGNORED

JLP music player

sbgk

I have modified squeezelite and portaudio using some of the tweaks I applied to MQn resulting in some improvement in SQ. Am concentrating on WDM-KS so it's limited to that at the moment.

More info here

MQn - Just Good Music: MQn & JLP Player T & Cs and change log

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

I find a very interesting story from Barry Diament on Naim forum. I guess his name is recognized by most of the members here, if not just google it. A lot here matches what Gordon is all about with MQn and JLP, "less is better".

"I've always felt that what is "good", "better" or "best" depends entirely on exactly what one seeks.

The goal might truth to the source or it might be what someone may just like. Personally, I think both are equally valid as I'd never argue with whatever brings anyone their listening pleasure.

But if the goal is truth to the source, my experience has been that well ripped files (in raw PCM format such as .aif or .wav) invariably are truer to the CD master than any CD pressing played back via any transport.

Ever since I created my first CD master, early in 1983, and heard the results that came back from the replication facility, I realized that CDs made at different plants (and often on different lines at the same plant) all sound different from each other and *none* sounds indistinguishable from the master used to make it. The differences, in my experience, range from subtle to not-at-all subtle, with focus and fine detail being lost to varying degrees.

I've always found a slow-burned CD-R to get closer to , if still not indistinguishable from, the CD master. But when any decent pressing is properly extracted to hard drive (in raw PCM format such as .aif or .wav), I've found the differences go away. This is what has me so excited about playback from the computer: for the very first time in my experience, the listener can get the sound of the master, unaltered.

I had a related experience not too long ago when comparing an SHM pressing with its plain vanilla counterpart, both created from the same CD master. At first, when listening via my transport, I was certain I was hearing two different masterings, so different did the drums, cymbals and piano sound. I would have bet money I was hearing two different EQs created by two different engineers. I thought it was a trick to make SHM, which I took to be just another way of pressing a CD, sound better than it really was. Much to my surprise, when I extracted both the SHM and CD versions to computer hard drive and played them from there, they were indistinguishable.

What accounts for the differences? I'm can only speculate. Playback from the disc involves several processes. The player must track the spiral of pits, maintain focus on the laser, read the pits, decode the 8:14 modulation by which the binary data is encoded to create the nine different length pits on a CD, perform any necessary error correction, and convert the binary stream to analog audio, all in real time. While playback from hard drive in a computer certainly involves some processes too, it seems to me there is less to do overall and my experience has been when there is less to do, better results are achieved. Again, just speculation on my part. (I'm always open to learning something new.) What I do know is that I've never heard CD playback from any transport/DAC combination, regardless of price that sounds indistinguishable from listening to the CD master, while playback from the computer routinely does sound indistinguishable from the master.

So again, if someone feels playback from the CD is "better", I wouldn't argue. They may simply like the resulting sound. But my ears tell me it doesn't sound the same as the master sent to the replication facility by the mastering house. Me? I'd rather hear the sound of the master.

Just my perspective, of course.

Best regards,

Barry"

Just got round to listening to v.22 & v.24 of JLP.

For me, V.22 was a bit 'thin' - definitely lacked bass and a bit harsh on detail at top end. Even a tiny bit of ear pain, which I have not had for ages.

V.24 though was a revelation. Lovely taut bass underpinning beautiful mid-range and dynamic top end. Very pleasing. A keeper.

Thanks

Jonathan

Just got round to listening to v.22 & v.24 of JLP.

For me, V.22 was a bit 'thin' - definitely lacked bass and a bit harsh on detail at top end. Even a tiny bit of ear pain, which I have not had for ages.

V.24 though was a revelation. Lovely taut bass underpinning beautiful mid-range and dynamic top end. Very pleasing. A keeper.

Thanks

Jonathan

have just uploaded v19 of portaudio and v25 of squeezelite adds some of the excitement of MQn.

Also enabled squeezelite to be started as a service, seems to improve the sq, don't know why. See blog for details. Need to have the squeezelite plugin disabled or removed beforehand.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

I haven't tried as Service yet, but there is a bit of difference between the guide from the link you pointed out and what v25 would take. You can not use driver # as that guide shows. You need use full name like we used to do.

this is what I have in a file called squeezelite service.bat

C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\LocalPlayer\Bin\squeezelite-win.exe -o "SPDIF Out (Amanero Technologies Streaming) [Windows WDM-KS]" -a 1 -b 600:1200 -q -s 192.168.1.87

Thanks SBGK

I got squeeze lite running in services....

quick question

Do I know need to remove the additional settings in local player, if I have put these in the bat file?

My bat file looks like this:

c:\programdata........\bin\squeezelite-win.exe -o 2 -n SqueezeSER -a 2 -b 700:200000 -s 10.1.1.11

I appreciate your advice cheers

2CA

Thanks SBGK

I got squeeze lite running in services....

quick question

Do I know need to remove the additional settings in local player, if I have put these in the bat file?

My bat file looks like this:

c:\programdata........\bin\squeezelite-win.exe -o 2 -n SqueezeSER -a 2 -b 700:200000 -s 10.1.1.11

I appreciate your advice cheers

2CA

in settings/advanced/local player - untick the box that's labelled Start Player with Service

I Did some tests and PA20 and SQLite25 sounds best - no doubt - different than MQN and better IMO.

SQL is running as service on my PC (again not an easy task).

BTW is this thread a new home for JLP?

FYI

I hope to update my how to guide and simplify the service loading for users.

When the service loading task is simplified and broken down its fairly straight forward with only a few main requirements.

1. Check for your correct squeezelite KS output, using command prompt

2. Create a bat file with the relevant location and squeezelite settings/output, using notepad

Then save the bat file into the squeezelite bin folder

3. Run the nssm service loading software and point it to the bat file location, via command prompt

4. Copy v25 squeezelite into the squeezelite bin folder

5. Deselect squeezelite startup pc under local player settings

6. Reboot pc and start squeeze server

7. Check for your loaded squeezelite player....

Looking forward to trying portaudio v20

2CA

I Did some tests and PA20 and SQLite25 sounds best - no doubt - different than MQN and better IMO.

SQL is running as service on my PC (again not an easy task).

BTW is this thread a new home for JLP?

Yep, as soon as I heard pa v20 for the first time I knew it was a big step forward. Will be interesting if I can tease any more out of it using the same techniques. It's a very pleasant revealing sound that just demands to be listened to.

FYI

I hope to update my how to guide and simplify the service loading for users.

When the service loading task is simplified and broken down its fairly straight forward with only a few main requirements.

1. Check for your correct squeezelite KS output, using command prompt

2. Create a bat file with the relevant location and squeezelite settings/output, using notepad

Then save the bat file into the squeezelite bin folder

3. Run the nssm service loading software and point it to the bat file location, via command prompt

4. Copy v25 squeezelite into the squeezelite bin folder

5. Deselect squeezelite startup pc under local player settings

6. Reboot pc and start squeeze server

7. Check for your loaded squeezelite player....

Looking forward to trying portaudio v20

2CA

don't forget the -q option if starting as a service, just a bit extra SQ. Though need to have stopped Sqeezelite starting with LMS before using it as you won't be able to afterwards.

I seem to get inconsistent startup behaviour with Squeezelite as a service, sometimes it starts as Squeezelite and sometimes as Squeezelite 2 and sometimes it won't play and requires a reboot. Am going to look at the startup order to see if that's an issue.

I seem to get inconsistent startup behaviour with Squeezelite as a service, sometimes it starts as Squeezelite and sometimes as Squeezelite 2 and sometimes it won't play and requires a reboot. Am going to look at the startup order to see if that's an issue.

Once I onticed 3 instances of Squeezelite running.

"I seem to get inconsistent startup behaviour with Squeezelite as a service, sometimes it starts as Squeezelite and sometimes as Squeezelite 2 and sometimes it won't play and requires a reboot. Am going to look at the startup order to see if that's an issue."

think have fixed it by setting lms to start at system start rather than login, set via control panel

uploaded squeezelite-win.exe v26 - portaudio is now built into the exe so don't need the dll file, no squeezelite code changes. Means that squeezelite and portaudio code can have profile guided optimisation.

This is Hi-End! bye bye MQn

(Two issues here:

1. when I skip to the next track I can hear 2/3/4... songs together (so I moved back to non-service SQL).

2. I can't play MP3 files :( (yes I know... but I have some MP3 albums not available on CD/vinyl or any other format anymore)

Yep, as soon as I heard pa v20 for the first time I knew it was a big step forward. Will be interesting if I can tease any more out of it using the same techniques. It's a very pleasant revealing sound that just demands to be listened to.

+1 (v.26).

Just sublimely listenable; detail and smoothness all in one. Beats MQn on my system.

Thanks Gordon

Did that when I got it going last weekend.

Funny thing is when LMS would load it changed screen resolution for everything which took me by surprise.

Changed COMPATIBILITY on all of the "squeezebox" .exe's in PROGRAM DATA and PROGRAM FILES x86.

Also tried RESOURCE HACKING both .exe's and .dll's. You can make them MUCH smaller but they no longer work. Oh, well ... As far as that goes I have found one cannot trim any of the files in SERVER without this result. You can delete .exe's and .dll's but you cannot modify them. That is my experience so far.