IGNORED

Minnesota Symphony Sibelius 1&4

Just a note that I downloaded the hires version of this recording from Linn when I heard it had won this year's Grammy for best orchestral recording, and I'd go beyond that and say it has the most blazingly exciting recorded orchestral playing and sound quality I have heard. Not quite up there with hearing the Chicago Symphony at full tilt in Symphony Hall, but the next best thing.

Best

John

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

That is wonderful…thank you for reporting this info.

I'm going to cross post your comments on a similar thread if you don't mind?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/sibelius-finlandia-and-swan-tuonela-sacd-18948/

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Very happy you should do that. It's a pleasure to simply recommend something and not get caught up in a dispute (though I haven't analysed the file! and have no intention of doing so).

Best

John

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

I heard Vanska (the former music director of the Minnesota Orchestra) on Thursday conducting our local band (the SF Symphony). The program included two Sibelius pieces - The Night Ride and Sunrise and Symphony 6. He got wonderful music from the symphony and I think his reputation in Minnesota was well deserved. I had heard him first in London in the last couple of years, probably conducting the Philharmonia. He left last fall after more than ten years with Minnesota as a result of the very long and bitter strike - he had sided with the orchestra. They have just settled (as of yesterday) and will start their season. Maybe he will go back. I know quite a few musicians left the orchestra during the strike, including a fine violist, Matt Young, who joined the SF Symphony this past year. With Vanska getting the grammy for the Sibelius 1 and 4 with the Minnesota Orchestra, this should be sign of better times to come.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Vanska and the MSO are playing a "Grammy" concert to celebrate. If they want him to return, I would guess his signing costs just went up…

I've ordered the SACD copy rather than a PCM download (about the same cost).

Best,

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Vanska and the MSO are playing a "Grammy" concert to celebrate. If they want him to return, I would guess his signing costs just went up…

I've ordered the SACD copy rather than a PCM download (about the same cost).

Best,

John

Note that BIS SACDs are usually sourced from PCM files, in this case the 24/96 probabyl is the original master.

That's too bad…

That's too bad…

The early BIS SACD's were recorded in 24/44 and later moved up to higher sample rates. If you buy the downloads from eClassical.com, the website run by BIS, you will be getting the original files. I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the sound of some of the 24/44 downloads I bought from eClassical during their recent Christmas sale. I have quite a few SACD's from BIS, particularly the Suzuki Bach Cantatas (Volumes 28 and later were released as SACD) and the Vanska Beethoven Symphonies with Minnesota. I have ripped the SACD's to multichannel, which I prefer to the stereo. But for the people with two channel systems, the eClassical downloads are as close to the original files as you can get. Mr. BIS (Robert Von Bahr) has complained in CA that some of the vendors are selling "hirez" files of his work which has not been sourced from BIS - most likely ripped and converted to whatever format they are selling.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Note that BIS SACDs are usually sourced from PCM files, in this case the 24/96 probabyl is the original master.

Very true, but if you download the BIS originals, even the 24/44.1 albums sound very good. Ditto the 24/96.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this SACD series is originally from a 24/96 format:

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

The advantage seems to be the surround mix (which I don't use, at least not yet).

Best,

John

I'm confuses, as usual. I looked at Linn's catalogue and the Sibelius SACD was released in 1996. Is that not the download I should be looking for. I don't see any other issue of 1 and 4 on the Linn site.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I don't know…the two I have were recorded in June 2011 and May/June 2012 per the liner notes (posted). They do sound nice to me, if that is any help…

John

I'm confuses, as usual. I looked at Linn's catalogue and the Sibelius SACD was released in 1996. Is that not the download I should be looking for. I don't see any other issue of 1 and 4 on the Linn site.

PopPop,

You'll find the Vanska Sibelius recrdings in eClassical: eClassical - Sibelius: Symphonies Nos 1 & 4

eClassical.com High Resolution FLAC & MP3 Classical Music Download Store

Thank you, the recording will be in my pocket within the hour. I have been a frequent visitor to the Minnesota Orchestra but I missed these performances. It's a pity that Vanska felt a need to move on during the lock-out. Time will tell how the orchestra recovers.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.