IGNORED

SOtM PCIe USB card not passing bit-perfect data

Hi all,

First post here.

I recently had a silent PC built expressly to use as an audio server. I had them install a SOtM tx-USBexp card.

While the card will pass audio data, it will not pass bit-perfect data. If I use Foobar or some other player which does not output bit-perfect, it works just fine. However, when using a player like JPlay or JRiver (or the JPlay ASIO output driver in Foobar) it will output data to my DAC for a few minutes, but then the player locks up and crashes.

However, I CAN get a bit-perfect data stream if I plug the DAC into one of the USB ports directly on the motherboard (either USB 2 or 3 -- both work).

In some exchanges with the builder, we're wondering if perhaps some jitter or timing errors are being fed in/out of the SOtM card (?).

I should add that the build also has a Silverstone USB 3 PCIe card in it (primarily to get USB to the ports on the front of the case). The USB 3 ports running off the Silverstone will also not pass bit-perfect data. The only USB ports that work on the ones directly on the motherboard.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

One question... What OS? Also what DAC? Sounds likely to be a driver issue.

PS Foobar does have but perfect output.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Windows 7. Musical Fidelity M1DAC.

With regards to Foobar -- unless I have the JPlay ASIO output driver installed, every file is output as a 96k stream (based on what the DAC is seeing): 44.1 files are upsampled to 96 and 192 files are downsampled to 96. Doesn't this indicated that it's not bit-perfect?

With regards to Foobar -- unless I have the JPlay ASIO output driver installed, every file is output as a 96k stream (based on what the DAC is seeing): 44.1 files are upsampled to 96 and 192 files are downsampled to 96. Doesn't this indicated that it's not bit-perfect?

Hi Brian,

Welcome!

This indicates incorrect setup. All players, unless incorrectly configured, can do bit-perfect output. It depends on what happens after that, not on the player. Can be the settings in the OS, or the settings in the driver for the audio-hardware.

Kind regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Is that using the ASIO4All driver? If so that's probably causing the issue.

Can you not use WASAPI mode?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.