IGNORED

Not sure what to do/use

MEF496

Hello, first post... I'm planning on using one of my dell laptops as a music server with an external h/d and sound card. Here is the thing, I'd like to use the dell inferon 1705 after updating it to windows 7 (got fastest ecu it can handle and 4g ram) but I think it's 32 bit, and not sure if that fact matter or not.. it has a DVI port. a few ubs and an s-video The other one is a dell vostro 3750 it's 8 years newer, and 64 bit , and has Usb ports and ubs ports (blue, not sure what the difference is) and hdmi port and an "eSATA" PORT (guessing that for an external harddrive connection) So, will the older 32 bit machine be worth it.. or should I use the newer.? what ever I use it'll be for this use only.. just music or should I just get an other machine for this, and if so.. what to look for?? Not new at Audiophile gear, just the computer end of it.. Help, and please note............ married now so the budget isn't what I'd get away with before.. lol If I go with the newer laptop, is the esata post faster than the non blue ubs port for a h/d, if that's even what that port is for? and the sound card, what type, connection ubs/ubs(blue)/HDMI???? Thanks for any help and or links to threads that hammer it out, that not go over a new at this, head.. Gotta start somewhere.. have 10000+ albums to convert and store, tho. the server end will store much less.. as the big band stuff and a bunch of the albums won't be the full album stored on the server.. but I do need to transfer tons to c/d or ?

First welcome to CA as this is your first post.

Your Dell would do fine just for music. There might be tiny benefits doing differently, but nothing large that would matter in using the Dell. The blue USB ports by the way are USB 3 instead of the normal USB 2. The 32 vs 64 bit really makes no important difference for music.

USB 2.o is fine for music playback even at hi resolution and sample rates. However for transferring files in bulk that USB 3 would be far faster.

I guess a good question is you said you plan to use an external sound card. What is the system you will be feeding music into? Does it have a digital input or do you need analog to feed it?

If you can use digital a good solution is something like a V-link which will send music over USB to a small reasonably priced device that will convert to a digital SPDIF data stream to feed your system.

If you need analog signal out, then an Audioquest Dragonfly or other DAC with a built in USB connection might fit the needs you have.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Welcome MEF. I'd go with the newer Vostro for the eSATA port to connect to an external hard drive. I'd prefer this interface over USB for playback. As for connecting your computer to your system, you did not mention what's in your system so it's hard to comment. I can only say that I have found HDMI to be very useful and reliable and I am unable to distinguish an audible difference between HDMI and USB connected audio devices. Some more information would be helpful. Thanks for posting.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure what you mean by "but I do need to transfer tons to c/d or ?"

You might want to explain that if you want an answer to it and about ripping your music. 10,000 albums is a lot and you'll want to do it right.

Chris

What I ment is I have both a c/d hifi audio recorder and a dvd recorder that also does data format. Most likely go with the c/d recorder over the dvd.

Welcome MEF. I'd go with the newer Vostro for the eSATA port to connect to an external hard drive. I'd prefer this interface over USB for playback. As for connecting your computer to your system, you did not mention what's in your system so it's hard to comment. I can only say that I have found HDMI to be very useful and reliable and I am unable to distinguish an audible difference between HDMI and USB connected audio devices. Some more information would be helpful. Thanks for posting.
Well. the system has changed alittle.. My B&K507 will be going into the trophy room and I bought a sony a/vr because my wife didn't like the b&k and all the settings, and it didn't have HDMI.. and she couldn't figure out the remote.. so the whole works that will ne in the main media room.. Pioneer dvd recorder, pioneer hifi c/d recorder, denon cassette deck,marantz turntable, sharp blueray,mishu vcr, tec reel to reel, carver 2 channel bridged powering the passive boston THX sub, Kenwood M1 amp powering the speakers in the computer room and kitchen, 2 carver silver7's powering the speakers in the dinning room, Adcom amp powering the backyard. The new sony has powered dual zone that the b&k did not have so that may free up the M1 for use as zone 2 downstarts in the workshop.. The server set up will be digital to the receiver was going to use optical or coax.. but may use hdmi depending on what the sony is able to use.. and if I find a Dac/soundcard with that format output. As I'll be burning to c/d to replace the cassettes and vinyl.. and also making a digital library on the server(laptop with external hard drive and sound card/dac) The cassette and turntable will be going into a carver pre amp and a soundcraftsman 1/3 octive 30 band eq then out to the sonys input and this one will be anolog into the sony. and I hope digital out from the sony to the computer soundcard, or to straight to the computer.. not sure what way would be best there.??. then through a pop/hiss program(album cleaner) then out to the c/d recorder that iirc has digital coax input.. will know for sure this weekend when I get it back from my dad.. or I'll use the c/d,dvd burner in the laptop.. that will be a trial and error thing. as the hifi c/d recorder has recording level control.. not sure if that's even adjustable using a audio burning program.. as most I've seen so far.. burn to compressed files.. the hifi recorder records like a record label c/d . hope to have the sony hooked up by this week end.. just added roller bearing draw slides and made shelves for the laptop and 1 for the turntable. so you pull the shelf out and open laptop or turntable (think keyboard shelf on a computer desk) the paint is dry'n on those shelves as I type..

I'm still not getting you. Also, it's almost impossible for me to read long paragraphs without any breaks or spacing so I'll just say something and hope it answers something you're asking.

When you rip your cds do it from your computer using a program like dbpoweramp (preferrably in a lossless format like flac). Rip them to your hard drive and make a backup of the ripped files to store on an external HD, a usb HD for example.

Chris