IGNORED

Clueless -- Setting up music server to play through Oppo 105

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. For the past several years I've used an Olive to store and play my digital music. I eventually became tired of the constant software glitches and the need to continually restart the device. Then the cd player broke, and I could no longer load any new music. (This was all within a couple of years of buying the thing.) That was the last straw, and now I'm the owner of a brand new Oppo-105.

I'd like to set up a device to store and play my digital music through the Oppo. I also like to stream digital radio. Now that I'm weighing the various options, I'm beginning to appreciate the Olive's simplicity. The number of choices is bewildering, and although I've spent a few days reading posts on this forum, many of them are over my head at this point in my learning curve.

I'll start with a very basic question: MacMini (or other computer) connected to USB vs. NAS streaming wirelessly? Is there any benefit in sound quality for one over the other?

If I do go the Mac Mini route, it will likely sit in my A/V rack next to the Oppo. Is that going to be an issue for sound quality?

I realize this subject may have been debated or addressed elsewhere on the forum, but if anyone has gone through this same decision process and can share their insights with me, or even point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Many thanks

An older Mac Mini with an Intel processor would be fine. If you can find a used/refurbished one with 8 gig of memory even better although you can get by with 4. I don't think having your computer near the Oppo would be a problem. As for the difference between usb and streaming from a NAS I wouldn't know as I don't do that however the specifics of that implementation might make a difference. Others will chime in on that.

I'll start with a very basic question: MacMini (or other computer) connected to USB vs. NAS streaming wirelessly? Is there any benefit in sound quality for one over the other?

If I do go the Mac Mini route, it will likely sit in my A/V rack next to the Oppo. Is that going to be an issue for sound quality?

Excellent sound quality is achievable using either method. It's more a question of how involved do you wish to be with setting up the computer with playback software, associated hardware and having to use a USB cable to connect it to the Oppo to be used as a DAC vs network streaming which uses the Oppo's own built-in music playback functionality and making sure you set up a decent network connection for it. Both methods require you to configure a music library with appropriate software. The other thing to consider is that the Oppo's music playback functinality is bit hit and miss with its gapless playback support when network streaming, though things have been improving in this respect of late (due to recent firmware updates).

Incidentally, you can network stream using a computer in the same way as you can with a NAS. In fact you get the best choice of decent media server software when using a computer (especially a Windows one) to stream from, rather than a NAS. There are even some makes of NAS that you can install music playback software on and attach a USB DAC to play to, just like a computer! However, it's quite rare to see NASs being used this way.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks much for the info. I think I'll test streaming from my laptop for awhile, then perhaps move on to a MacMini for the greater storage.

If I was going to stream from a MacBook Pro, would JRiver work? Or would Audirvana be better? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks again

For DAC duties, you will be less frustrated using a dedicated DAC. Pickup a 2nd hand one half the price of the 105. I tried the 105 as a DAC and was horribly dissapointed by all the firmware hassles, beta testing for them, white noise screaming through speakers, sound quality, etc. They are an effective marketing company and it works well as a spinner.

Personally prefer much distance and/or shielding between computer and DAC. The Oppo is very noisy from an EMI perspective so in that situation it likely does not matter.

A benefit of the NAS is the distance you can put in between you and the noisy harddrives.

Cheers

The decision between A+ and JRiver is purely personal and I recommend downloading their trial versions. Try Amarra as well. All will work.

One key difference is what you prefer for audio file management. A+ and Amarra use iTunes and JRiver has its own.

Cheers

The decision between A+ and JRiver is purely personal and I recommend downloading their trial versions. Try Amarra as well. All will work.

One key difference is what you prefer for audio file management. A+ and Amarra use iTunes and JRiver has its own.

Cheers

Thanks, Tranz. I'll download the trial versions and muck around with them a bit. Thanks also for the observations on the Oppo. So far I've been happy with the sound quality, though I've primarily used it to listen to cd's and stream internet radio. I haven't really gotten into my digital library yet. I have had some of the same firmware issues that you described -- including white noise or "popping" through the speakers -- though Oppo tech support assures me a fix is in the works.

I think I'll test streaming from my laptop for awhile, then perhaps move on to a MacMini for the greater storage.
If you want to test network streaming to the Oppo from a laptop, you might find it simpler to start off with by installing a separate UPnP/DLNA control point and UPnP/DLNA server, as opposed to using an all purpose music software like JRiver, which is more geared towards muisc playback on the computer itself and presumably using the Oppo as a DAC for it (though it can be setup for DLNA network streaming too).

Something like the free MinimServer UPnP/DLNA server & Linn's open source Kinsky UPnP control point should be ideal to test with, available from:

MinimServer downloads

Linn Open Source Software

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I haven't got "the answer" but I'm putting together a two speaker system and I've been mulling over what to do for a digital source and I thought I would throw in my two cents. BTW, I've got an Oppo 93 hooked up to my home theater and I hung an old USB disk drive off the Oppo and listen to that sometimes. The FLAC files I created myself from vinyl sound pretty decent. The Oppo 93 UI is pretty crude but it works.

Anyway, right now, I'm leaning towards buying an NAD 50 and hanging a USB drive off that. I'd load the drive from my desktop and use the sneaker net to move the drive to the NAD 50. The main reason I'm leaning towards the NAD 50 is that the UI would be so slick. I've already got a Bluetooth adapter hooked up to my two channel system and the sound isn't great but being able to play playlists off my phone is really nice.

If you want to test network streaming to the Oppo from a laptop, you might find it simpler to start off with by installing a separate UPnP/DLNA control point and UPnP/DLNA server, as opposed to using an all purpose music software like JRiver, which is more geared towards muisc playback on the computer itself and presumably using the Oppo as a DAC for it (though it can be setup for DLNA network streaming too).

Something like the free MinimServer UPnP/DLNA server & Linn's open source Kinsky UPnP control point should be ideal to test with, available from:

MinimServer downloads

Linn Open Source Software

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Earlier today I downloaded a trial version of JRiver, and after several hours trying to get sound to come out of my speakers, I'm tearing my hair out in frustration. There don't seem to be any Mac-specific set-up instructions that I can find. Maybe, if I spend enough time scouring the forums, I'll eventually figure out how to use JRiver. More likely I'll just ditch it in favor of some other program more geared toward Mac users.

I haven't got "the answer" but I'm putting together a two speaker system and I've been mulling over what to do for a digital source and I thought I would throw in my two cents. BTW, I've got an Oppo 93 hooked up to my home theater and I hung an old USB disk drive off the Oppo and listen to that sometimes. The FLAC files I created myself from vinyl sound pretty decent. The Oppo 93 UI is pretty crude but it works.

Anyway, right now, I'm leaning towards buying an NAD 50 and hanging a USB drive off that. I'd load the drive from my desktop and use the sneaker net to move the drive to the NAD 50. The main reason I'm leaning towards the NAD 50 is that the UI would be so slick. I've already got a Bluetooth adapter hooked up to my two channel system and the sound isn't great but being able to play playlists off my phone is really nice.

Have you had any issues with files skipping when you play them off the USB drive? That was the first solution I tried with the Oppo-105, but roughly 3-4 times per album, the sound would just drop mid-song for 1-2 seconds. I tried it with 3 different albums, all downloaded from HDTracks, and all of which had played just fine through my Olive. Maybe I'm not using the right kind of USB disk drive. But nothing drives me more insane than skipping.

Its a 2 step process assuming you use JRiver as control point (1) go into network settings and turn on streaming options, network discovery. I highly recommend that you use hardwire Ethernet connection for the Oppo vs Wifi as this will improve both video and audio performance.... but you do have to choose 1 or the other in network setup. (2) In Jriver go to options/media network/ and select enable media network. Next select "add DLNA server" and choose 24 bit audiophile DAC. If you are hardwired Ethernet for Oppo and PC you should shortly see "oppo-105" pop up in your playing now drop down list area of Jriver vs just the default choice of "player" Click on "oppo-105" and you should be ready to select from your music library and start playing

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Its a 2 step process assuming you use JRiver as control point (1) go into network settings and turn on streaming options, network discovery. I highly recommend that you use hardwire Ethernet connection for the Oppo vs Wifi as this will improve both video and audio performance.... but you do have to choose 1 or the other in network setup. (2) In Jriver go to options/media network/ and select enable media network. Next select "add DLNA server" and choose 24 bit audiophile DAC. If you are hardwired Ethernet for Oppo and PC you should shortly see "oppo-105" pop up in your playing now drop down list area of Jriver vs just the default choice of "player" Click on "oppo-105" and you should be ready to select from your music library and start playing

Thanks. It's working now. It was user error on my part, rather than anything to do with JRiver. I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

• 2 years later...