IGNORED

itunes Volume Control

wavac

Hello my friends I am running a mac pro connected to the Weiss Vesta with firewire and with an AES/EBU cable to the Weiss Medea driving directly some Wavac monoblocks.

It would be very usefull to me to use the itunes volume control. I would do that only in case that there is no loss in sound quality!

Can someone answer me with confidence if the itunes volume control degrades the sound when used?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

MacBook Pro > M2Tech Evo > Stylos SYS HAD > Sovereign Director > Sovereign Power > Tidal Piano Cera (Cabling: Argento)

Chris thanks for the answer!

I hope apple finds a solution either integrated in itunes or with a different software.

Happy listening!

Mike

MacBook Pro > M2Tech Evo > Stylos SYS HAD > Sovereign Director > Sovereign Power > Tidal Piano Cera (Cabling: Argento)

Perhaps using the fader in Amarra would be an acceptable solution? I would expect it to be better than the one found in Itunes.

JRiver MC22 -> Merging+NADAC (8CH) -> Bryston Cubed -> Vivid Giya G2/Vivid C1/4xVivid V1W

"I hope apple finds a solution either integrated in itunes or with a different software."

It's really not an Apple issue rather all digital volume controls have similar constraints. However, not all digital volume controls are implemented equally and some are just as good or better then analog volume controls.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I was wondering if the loss in quality is less important than the gain in conviniency that I am going to get.

I will give it a try tonight!

Thanks again!

How much using the iTunes (or other digital) volume control is acceptable depends on the user and the situation. It also depends on the amount the volume is used.

If my amp is turned right up, and I use the volume in iTunes to turn it down to a respectable level (say 15-25% of maximum) then the degradation of sound is very obvious. If however I adjust the volume to a normal level, then during listening to music when a loud part comes, quickly turn down the level on iTunes but say within 75-80% of maximum, the degradation is very limited.

So digital volume, coupled with analogue attenuation, is (for most people) a good, acceptable, solution.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.