IGNORED

Naim DAC

I read the review in TAS about the Naim NDS. I am a Naim fan. Streaming aside, it seems like the audiophile quality of this setup resides in the Naim DAC. Can anyone comment on whether the Naim DAC is of reference quality?

Currently, I use a Berkeley Alpha DAC 2. Finding it hard to comprehend the $22K price for the Naim system described in TAS. For $14K the new reference Berkeley will be available.

Thoughts?

Currently, I use a Berkeley Alpha DAC 2. Finding it hard to comprehend the $22K price for the Naim system described in TAS. For $14K the new reference Berkeley will be available.

I don't know what contributed to the price tag you mentioned, but the Naim NDS retails around £6,500 /$10,000, the Naim DAC around £2,200 /$3,600. If you are prepared to spend $14,000 for a standalone DAC, the Naim will feel a little bit outclassed by the competition.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

I don't know what contributed to the price tag you mentioned, but the Naim NDS retails around £6,500 /$10,000, the Naim DAC around £2,200 /$3,600. If you are prepared to spend $14,000 for a standalone DAC, the Naim will feel a little bit outclassed by the competition.

The $22K (USD) package includes: the NDS, UnitiServ, 555 Power Supply and cables.

I read the review in TAS about the Naim NDS. I am a Naim fan. Streaming aside, it seems like the audiophile quality of this setup resides in the Naim DAC. Can anyone comment on whether the Naim DAC is of reference quality?

Thoughts?

I have thoughts all right. To me $22,000 for a Dac seems ludicrous. That said, the only way you'll know for sure is to audition each in the same system and decide for yourself whether that kind of money is well spent.

David