IGNORED

Apple Thunderbolt better for audio, guaranteed.

I have tested Belkin Thunderbolt adapter with Weiss INT202 FW adapter and USB input of the Devialet amplifier and also direct connection, Thunderbolt brings EXTREME improvement in all areas of audio playback.

There is no turning back

Hello WeiseHeiliger,

That has been my experience too.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Yes, USB or Firewire converter, have significantly better sound if they are to mains via Thunderbolt adapter.

OOOPs,

For clarity, I was referring to using Thunderbolt HDs instead of HDD via USB/Firewire connections. I have no experience with converters etc. I replaced all my quad OWC external HDDs connected to the mains via USB or Firewire (so as to avoid conflicts for my USB Dac) with Thunderbolt Drives. My experience has only been positive. The speed is also an advantage.

But I believe the point you are making is other. Sorry for creating any confusion.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Please confirm that this is the Belkin product you are referring to: Thunderbolt

Please tell us what devices you are simultaneously attaching to the Thunderbolt hub. Are you attaching to it both your Firewire>S/PDIF converter (Weiss INT202) and a USB hard drive for music storage? What DAC is the Weiss INT202 then connected to?

And with the Devialet's USB input from your computer, are you using the Belkin hub at the same time as having the Weiss INT202 attached? Sounds like you have two DACs.

Lastly, are any of the devices taking power from the Belkin hub? I think the Weiss INT202 has its own separate PS, but if you are also attaching a hard drive, where are you powering it from.

Most importantly, what model of Mac are you using? (Internal chipsets and buses differ between some.)

Thanks and regards,

ALEX C.

Please confirm that this is the Belkin product you are referring to: Thunderbolt

Please tell us what devices you are simultaneously attaching to the Thunderbolt hub. Are you attaching to it both your Firewire>S/PDIF converter (Weiss INT202) and a USB hard drive for music storage? What DAC is the Weiss INT202 then connected to?

And with the Devialet's

Most importantly, what model of Mac are you using? (Internal chipsets and buses differ between some.)

Thanks and regards,

ALEX C.

I have iMac 21, 2013, Audirvana Plus, Weiss INT202, Devialet 170 with USB input (XMOS chip and more ..), Apogee DA16X Firewire, Apple Thunderbolt/Firewire Adapter, Belkin Thunderbolt Dock.

Weiss INT202 with external power supply and Devialet are simultaneously connected with Belkin TB dock, Devialet sounds via USB better than Weiss INT202 to Devialet via AES, when I connect Devialet directly with iMac via USB, Weiss INT202 via AES is clearly better.

I have iMac 21, 2013, Audirvana Plus, Weiss INT202, Devialet 170 with USB input (XMOS chip and more ..), Apogee DA16X Firewire, Apple Thunderbolt/Firewire Adapter, Belkin Thunderbolt Dock.

Weiss INT202 with external power supply and Devialet are simultaneously connected with Belkin TB dock, Devialet sounds via USB better than Weiss INT202 to Devialet via AES, when I connect Devialet directly with iMac via USB, Weiss INT202 via AES is clearly better.

Interesting, thank you. I am guessing that the Devialet's USB input may not have the very best isolation between the XMOS and further DAC stages. That is the most likely reason for the results that you report.

Still, it is good to know that such good results can be had with a Thunderbolt dock.

I have not tried an external TB drive yet. But do use an Apple TB to FW800 adapter. Connected the dac and then switched and connected the dac to FW port and the FW800 drive to the TB port . The dac on the TB port sounds better to me.

But later I tried flipping around the drives and connected the external drive with iTunes folder up to a USB port. Sounded the same as it did on a FW800 port.

What I got from this was the port selection is more important with the dac than it is for an external drive. But maybe I need a TB drive to test this. Maybe the TB to FW active adapter is a limiting factor.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Yes, USB or Firewire converter, have significantly better sound if they are to mains via Thunderbolt adapter.

You are aware that Thunderbolt is just an external PCIe connection yes? This configuration is no different than using a separate PCIe connected USB card (like the SOtM) inside a custom server, except, it is easier to power the internal USB card by a very low noise power supply.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I get my lynx hilo thunderbolt card today from sweet water. I wonder if the regular apple thunderbolt cable will top my synergistic Active SE USB cable?

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

• 1 month later...

WOWOWOW i finally installed the thunderbolt card for my lynx hilo and damn what a difference.

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

WOWOWOW i finally installed the thunderbolt card for my lynx hilo and damn what a difference.

Dude, I hate you. Just got a new MacBook Pro, and the cost of the TB card for my Hilo was money I was hoping I wouldn't feel obligated to spend.

How was the card replacement? Easy?

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Yeah bud, just unscrew the top plate, 7 screws total, remove the USB card and place the Thunderbolt slot it, then screw everything back.

Musician Setup

• 10 months later...

Would you mind describing the SQ change you observed? Thanks.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B