IGNORED

Wavelength Proton, M2Tech Young, or others -- recommendations thoughts appreciated

Hello everyone. I am considering upgrading my digital audio world. I am currently using a HRT Music Streamer II and a Schiit Modi. I have previously used W4S Dac 1 and Schiit Bifrost. My transport will be a Pogoplug E02 running archlinux and using squeezelite as the player (SBT clone). I have two amps (depending on the system) that I use. A Primaluna Prologue 2 and a Creek 5350se. The Primaluna is paired with Dynaudio Excite X12's while the Creek is hooked up to a pair of ADS L880's.

With the recent price reduction in the dac's listed in my title I am thinking about making the plunge in a little higher end digital sound. I was hoping to hear from anyone who has owned either of these dac's and preferably both (a longshot I know) and what your impressions were/are. I would also recommend anyone other recommenations for DAC's under $750.00.

My listening preference would be something that sounds more like analog (I know this is cliched). I have a ton of digital music but I find myself almost exclusively listening to my records for the past couple of years. Although I don't see my record playing changing drastically I would like to get my digital front end closer to my analog set up. For analog I have a VPI Scout w/ a ATC 09/MLii, Dynavector 10x5, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II, DIY MC stage AD797 (from AK).

Thanks!

The Proton will not disappoint you, though you must be careful to set the Proton's volume to 90% and leave it there for static use. The last 10% is for headphones, and will overpower standard analog inputs.

If analog is what you really like, you might want to grab a listen to the Rega DAC. I personally do not like it, but other folks rave about it, and it definitely has a different kind of sound. Analog and very liquid. It lists for $995, but you can find it discounted.

The Peachtree DAC*IT is totally impressive, and comes in at under $500. The newest model has 24/192K Asynch USB built in. I run one of these off an optical connection and it produces some really great and listenable sound. I am not sure I would describe it as analog, but really really good.

There are a lot more of course, you are in for one very fun ride indeed. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Paul.

My concern with the Rega has always been its usb limitation. I know that I can buy a USB-to-spdif/coax converter but that idea is not that appealing to me and of course adds extra cost. I was also considering the Simaudio 100D because of its now low cost but the same USB limitation applies.

I will have to look into the Peachtree DAC IT.

For Peachtree, if you are looking at USB, make sure it is the DAC*ITx model. That's where the 24/192K Asynch USB was added.

-Paul

Thanks Paul.

My concern with the Rega has always been its usb limitation. I know that I can buy a USB-to-spdif/coax converter but that idea is not that appealing to me and of course adds extra cost. I was also considering the Simaudio 100D because of its now low cost but the same USB limitation applies.

I will have to look into the Peachtree DAC IT.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein