IGNORED

Article: Ayre Acoustics QB-9 DSD DAC Review

I've been living with a demo unit of the QB-9 DSD for a couple of weeks now, and I'm impressed by this DAC. It sounds pretty different from my reference (a Linn Akurate DS/1) but it shares a similar level of musicality.

I'm also quite surprised by the 'consistency of sound' I'm getting with different softwares and hardware. I mean, I'm really struggling to hear any improvement using JPlay over 'plain' JRiver.

If any, WASAPI and JRiver sound a bit more organic than JPlay/KS, but I'm sure I'd fail a blind test.

And I've tried a couple of USB cables and could't reliably distinguish between them. My preferred at the moment is a dual conduit DIY, with the second head not plugged into the PC.

I'm curious to hear other people experience about it...as I think I could hear these kind of differences with my previous USB setup (basically before going the streaming route with the DS).

Massimiliano

I’ve run my QB-9 with two different cables: NordOst (fast & light) and Entreq Challanger (smooth & warm). Not night and day, but I prefer the Entreq.

Have you tried upsampling? I’ really torn between running it straight (via A+) or fiddle with A+ upsamling settings. The interal filter is really good! Upsampling sounds initially impressive, but articifial after a while. Going back and forth...

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

I’ve run my QB-9 with two different cables: NordOst (fast & light) and Entreq Challanger (smooth & warm). Not night and day, but I prefer the Entreq.

Have you tried upsampling? I’ really torn between running it straight (via A+) or fiddle with A+ upsamling settings. The interal filter is really good! Upsampling sounds initially impressive, but articifial after a while. Going back and forth...

I've tried upsamling to 176 for red book files, but didn't like what I heard. Probably as you said the QB-9 digital filter (minimum phase, isnt'it) is just spot on and plays an important role in the sound signature of this dac. I really like it and probably I'm going to keep it.

Massimiliano

I don't think Ayre will make this "upgrade".

Michael Lavorgna stated is his review of the DSD-upgrade: "DSD 128 capability and 24/381 are in the works".

Charles Hansen said in this thread that Ayre is looking at offering firmware upgrades for the QA-9 and QB-9 to support DSD 128.

We'll have to wait and see, of course, and Chris, you may have other information on this, but it does look promising.

Greetings,

Marc

Michael Lavorgna stated is his review of the DSD-upgrade: "DSD 128 capability and 24/381 are in the works".

Charles Hansen said in this thread that Ayre is looking at offering firmware upgrades for the QA-9 and QB-9 to support DSD 128.

We'll have to wait and see, of course, and Chris, you may have other information on this, but it does look promising.

Greetings,

Marc

Thanks for the info.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 months later...
Great Review Chris!

cant wait to get mine updated!

claude

Being a QB9 (192khz) owner, I've tried many times to get that upgrade done. The company has no time to do it for you. Their answer is that there are too many of us asking for and they're short in staff!

If that could make sens for a short period of time, it sounds less serious after one year.

• 5 months later...

I suppose anyone who spends $3,250 plus tax for a DAC needs to convince themselves they made a good choice. I'm certainly one of them. I got mine in July 2014 and think it just gets better with time. It's both incredibly revealing and NOT annoying. CD rips sound like never before. Before the Ayre I was outputting from my Mac Mini (via Audirvana 1.5.10) to an (overrated) Oppo 105 I was using as a USB DAC. No comparison. The QB-9 DSD blows it away.

Music: Mostly classical with some jazz and 70's, 80's and 90's rock. It's mostly ripped CD's, but I have quite a few DSF files ripped from SACD's and some hi res downloads, too.

@Marcel I got mine updated by a dealer rather than the factory. Have you tried that?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3