IGNORED

Article: Ayre Acoustics QB-9 DSD DAC Review

homeless? Yes.

From -> Jewel - Official Website :: About

"I drifted after I graduated. No plans for college. Ended up in San Diego where I answered phones in a computer warehouse. My boss fired me because I wouldn’t sleep with him, and I ended up homeless for a year. I kept writing songs, and started singing in a local coffee shop called The Inner Change Cafe. I developed a loyal following. No one knew I was homeless. A radio station decided to put a bootleg of me on the air and a record label heard it. Soon after, a lot of limousines started pulling up and guys in suits came to watch me sing. There was a bidding war between several labels for me! I couldn’t believe it! I went with the label that didn’t want me to change and let me be a simple songwriter."

I guess we have all been homeless then at one time or another in our early years. Staying in different friends places as we get our feet in the ground somehow doesn't feel exactly homeless but it is how she has characterized that year. She has kept in touch with a number of friends in the area and of course everyone has their own take on her year of drifting.

By the way, I think she is a superb artist and I have no axe to grind with you at all on this subject! Keep up the great work.

David

Chris - thanks for the review. I love your site. It is the 1st site I check every day, and I often fall asleep reading through the forums with my iPhone at night.

I share the opinion of some of the earlier responders to the thread that it would be really helpful to get a sense of how one DAC (or any piece of hardware for computer audio) compares to other options. Pros, cons, and where it differs/betters another component are helpful.

I think this is practical, and what many of us read to learn about.

Obviously there are many variables that cannot be controlled, and you may not have every DAC available for A/B blind listening, but you have probably heard more DACs and equipment than just about anyone on the forum and are in a unique position to comment on this.

Ideally, as potential buyers of a DAC, we could all listen to these DACs in our own systems, and simply choose the one that we prefer based on sound quality and cost, but the reality is most of us cannot do this for a whole host of reasons. Your insights do help many of the site followers narrow down a list of potential purchases.

I think realistically, any given component has strengths, weakness, and tradeoffs -- and the sound character could be compared to other similar products in the price class, or even outside of it. Often, you will touch on these points in your reviews, but for some reason, not so much in this particular review, and I think it would be very helpful to many of us trying to choose a DAC at this price point.

Thanks for all the amazing work on the site, and all your reviews.

Just my $0.02

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Hi Chris. I'm using the QB-9 DSD with a MacBook Pro. Considering the excellent isolation of the QB-9 and the built-in AC line powered supply for the USB circuitry, I was wondering if there is any point in using a custom linear power supply for the mac instead of simply unplugging the original Apple's switch mode power supply from the power outlet, like I usually do. Thanks in advance for your advice !

Hi Chris. I'm using the QB-9 DSD with a MacBook Pro. Considering the excellent isolation of the QB-9 and the built-in AC line powered supply for the USB circuitry, I was wondering if there is any point in using a custom linear power supply for the mac instead of simply unplugging the original Apple's switch mode power supply from the power outlet, like I usually do. Thanks in advance for your advice !

Your review implies but doesn't state that the particulars of the computer supplying the bits is less important with the Ayre QB-9 DSD. I'm wondering if there's any point in audiophile-izing my new to me mid-2010 Mac Mini, other than adding an audio player to wrap around iTunes, a bunch more RAM and maybe an external NAS to keep the bits warm and safe.

Thoughts?

Music: Mostly classical with some jazz and 70's, 80's and 90's rock. It's mostly ripped CD's, but I have quite a few DSF files ripped from SACD's and some hi res downloads, too.

Chris,

I think we all understand about advertisers and non-advertisers. But as others have said since most of these components are not easily demoed with the lack of brick and mortar stores, comparisons by trusted reviewers such as yourself are more important now than they ever were to potential buyers like me.

Both the QB-9 DSD and the Auralic Vega have both gotten rave reviews by you and other respected parties so I wouldn't think that a comparison would upset your Auralic relationship. If they are both excellent, a comparison would only need to point out differences as heard by the reviewer (you).

Advertisers aside, your readers rely on you to help them narrow down buying choices, not the final buying decision.

If I hear very good things about a product from JA, Ted and you, I am surely going to give it some consideration because each of you doesn't say that each new product is the best since sliced bread. Some other writers, not so much.

Other parts of a review that I just love (ala Jeff Fritz) is how a product fits into a certain system i.e. if you have tube amps this dac may be on the warm side, or these speakers need very high current/power etc. so tube amp owners beware. Not all of us Aphiles want to replace more than one component at a time.

Perhaps you would give the Vega/Qb-9 DSD comparison another thought?

Thanks, Jeff

Aurender N100H, Kimber USB, Uptone Regen, PS Audio Directstream dac, Siltech 550I ICs balanced, Oasis S200 Monoblocks, AQ Red Wood Speaker Cable, Magico S5 speakers.

Chris,

I think we all understand about advertisers and non-advertisers. But as others have said since most of these components are not easily demoed with the lack of brick and mortar stores, comparisons by trusted reviewers such as yourself are more important now than they ever were to potential buyers like me.

Both the QB-9 DSD and the Auralic Vega have both gotten rave reviews by you and other respected parties so I wouldn't think that a comparison would upset your Auralic relationship. If they are both excellent, a comparison would only need to point out differences as heard by the reviewer (you).

Advertisers aside, your readers rely on you to help them narrow down buying choices, not the final buying decision.

If I hear very good things about a product from JA, Ted and you, I am surely going to give it some consideration because each of you doesn't say that each new product is the best since sliced bread. Some other writers, not so much.

Other parts of a review that I just love (ala Jeff Fritz) is how a product fits into a certain system i.e. if you have tube amps this dac may be on the warm side, or these speakers need very high current/power etc. so tube amp owners beware. Not all of us Aphiles want to replace more than one component at a time.

Perhaps you would give the Vega/Qb-9 DSD comparison another thought?

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff - Thanks for the kind words and honest feedback.

Advertising and relationships never stop me from reviewing, comparing, or commenting about a product or company. CA can only benefit, in the long run, from honesty even if it irks an advertiser. We have lost advertisers for less than good reviews and scared away potential reviews because of this honesty. In the short term it stings, but in the long run honesty is the only way to succeed. It's a marathon not a sprint.

P.S. The Auralic guys are great and wouldn't have any issue with product comparisons involving the Vega.

P.P.S. Thanks also for reminding me what some people may want to read in a review.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Near the end of the review you wrote

"The excellent sound of the Ayre QB-9 DSD can elevate the intimacy between a recording and the listener to levels beyond the realm of most components. At $3,250 I can't think of another USB only DAC near this price that accomplishes such a feat."

If we assume that you chose your words with great care, the implication is that there is a DAC in the same price range as the Ayre that can match it in intimacy, but is not USB only.

So, is there another DAC, or was your wording overly precise.

Chris,

Near the end of the review you wrote

"The excellent sound of the Ayre QB-9 DSD can elevate the intimacy between a recording and the listener to levels beyond the realm of most components. At $3,250 I can't think of another USB only DAC near this price that accomplishes such a feat."

If we assume that you chose your words with great care, the implication is that there is a DAC in the same price range as the Ayre that can match it in intimacy, but is not USB only.

So, is there another DAC, or was your wording overly precise.

Hi scottsol - You're correct that I chose my words with great care. I wrote exactly what it meant. I recommend against reading into my words.

Thanks for asking though. You can't be the only reader to infer something here :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Your review implies but doesn't state that the particulars of the computer supplying the bits is less important with the Ayre QB-9 DSD. I'm wondering if there's any point in audiophile-izing my new to me mid-2010 Mac Mini, other than adding an audio player to wrap around iTunes, a bunch more RAM and maybe an external NAS to keep the bits warm and safe.

Thoughts?

I didn't imply anything like that. My comments were specific and shouldn't be read into :~)

I think you're on the right track with this idea. Very specific case. Thanks for the exact details :~)

P.S. If you unplug the MacBook Pro be careful not to shock the computer with static built up from dragging your feet in the floor or similar activities. The QB-9 will stop playback. I discovered this while demoing with this DAC at Audio Advice in North Carolina.

I think you're on the right track with this idea. Very specific case. Thanks for the exact details :~)

P.S. If you unplug the MacBook Pro be careful not to shock the computer with static built up from dragging your feet in the floor or similar activities. The QB-9 will stop playback. I discovered this while demoing with this DAC at Audio Advice in North Carolina.

Thank you Chris for your kind response. As I store all my music on an external hard drive, I guess I should focus on trying to get rid of its own crappy switch mode power supply. I know this is not the right place to ask you this but do you know by any chance good external hard drives with good linear power supplies ?

Thank you anyway for your excellent job and your fair review, as always.

Thank you Chris for your kind response. As I store all my music on an external hard drive, I guess I should focus on trying to get rid of its own crappy switch mode power supply. I know this is not the right place to ask you this but do you know by any chance good external hard drives with good linear power supplies ?

Thank you anyway for your excellent job and your fair review, as always.

You'll have to pick up an aftermarket supply.

Yet another DAC, this one selling for $3250. Yes, $3250 just to convert from digital to analog. You know, we are not dealing with ultra high frequency satellite bands; we are just converting lowly audio frequencies.

In 2014, everything are in chips. We have chips, very advanced chips for just about everything. All the major functions of DAC are fully implemented in fancy chips, which any OEM can buy at a rather low cost. No DAC OEMs make its own chips you know. Firmware, no matter how advanced, is even more of a commodity.

Ultra low noise power supply, fancy caps and resistors, optical isolation, audiophile grade output op-amps (and discrete amps) surface-mount PCBs, gold-plated connectors, etc etc. These are all low cost commodities in today's world.

Parts cost of an advanced DAC, including firmware, is measured in a few hundred dollars. Unless it is over-engineered deliberately to justify a high price. And many high performing DACs do sell for a few hundred dollars, less than a grand for sure. So why do we have DACs, like this latest from Ayre Acoustics, selling for $3250? Is it because they think they can make a profit of $3000 per unit? Or is it because they think, by claiming a performance that will surely create the next big religion, they can justify any price for such a 'spiritual' experience? Companies such as dCS make DACs that's sell for some $20k. At this level, it's not about the DAC or engineering. It's about the ego.

Like all religions of the world, none would exist without the mass of fools.

@Buckingham Have you listened this dac? Maybe you are a dac designer? Do tell, would like to hear.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Chris:

Can you please tell me if QB9 DSD will work with SOTM tX-USBexp and Jplay?

I have the first version of QB9 not upgraded at all. It has compatibility issue with SOTM tx usbexp if I use jplay. Without jplay, it works fine.

Unfortunately I can't. I don't have a first generation QB-9 and I don't use JPlay.

1. Buckingham, either you are ill informed and unintelligent, or you do not have any experience designing, building, marketing, and selling a high end, limited production, made in USA product. I suspect the latter, but perhaps, until you have experience doing such, you should refrain from making comments which make you look ill informed.

Folks, everyone wants comparisons to every DAC on the planet, poor Chris cannot catch a break. No matter what DAC he might compare to, someone will ask why he did not compare to some other DAC. I really like Chris' reviewing style personally (not that I always agree), he tells it like he hears it, in the context of his system, and I trust that is what I am going to get form him.

If you are interested in the QB-9.DSD, I would suggest arranging an audition in your own system, the only way to decide if this DAC is right for you is to hear it in the context of your own system: to expect Chris to be able to provide enough information for you to be sure how it might sound to you is an impossible task. Ayre products are sold by some of the best dealers in the country (USA, I cannot speak for overseas customers here), if you are interested in a serious audition, contact your nearest Ayre dealer and arrange for something, they can do it by mail as well, so the dealer need not be within driving distance. Good dealers are willing to work with you, within reason. I see no reason someone in the US would have to rely solely on reviews of an Ayre product in order to make a purchasing decision.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1. Buckingham, either you are ill informed and unintelligent, or you do not have any experience designing, building, marketing, and selling a high end, limited production, made in USA product. I suspect the latter, but perhaps, until you have experience doing such, you should refrain from making comments which make you look ill informed.

Folks, everyone wants comparisons to every DAC on the planet, poor Chris cannot catch a break. No matter what DAC he might compare to, someone will ask why he did not compare to some other DAC. I really like Chris' reviewing style personally (not that I always agree), he tells it like he hears it, in the context of his system, and I trust that is what I am going to get form him.

If you are interested in the QB-9.DSD, I would suggest arranging an audition in your own system, the only way to decide if this DAC is right for you is to hear it in the context of your own system: to expect Chris to be able to provide enough information for you to be sure how it might sound to you is an impossible task. Ayre products are sold by some of the best dealers in the country (USA, I cannot speak for overseas customers here), if you are interested in a serious audition, contact your nearest Ayre dealer and arrange for something, they can do it by mail as well, so the dealer need not be within driving distance. Good dealers are willing to work with you, within reason. I see no reason someone in the US would have to rely solely on reviews of an Ayre product in order to make a purchasing decision.

I think there is a difference between giving feedback, and being overly critical.

Most people in these comments were just simply asking for Chris's thoughts on the sound between a few DAC's, which is not unreasonable to inquire about. I guess it just depends on how the person asks, or how their tone is perceived?? It is also more than reasonable, for Chris to not comment on this, if he cannot recall well enough, to make the comparison.

Most, if not all, of the people on this site, love the site, and greatly value Chris's opinion. You do get the occasional person that is coming by that seems to just be looking to pick a fight, or stir the pot, but I dont think that is the case here in these comments.

I guess it all comes down to what the goals of the site are. Depending on those goals, a review, and subsequent forum comments of a piece of equipment might entertain a discussion on how a given piece of equipment compares to others. Naturally, then, it would follow, that people who respect Chris's opinion, would ask him to opine on this.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

• 2 weeks later...