IGNORED

New version of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos in high-res

Just listened to the samples on Qobuz, and now am significantly less tempted. Nothing new in the interpretation, and some of the brass even sounded a bit sloppy.

Sloppy in what way?

On their video version, which has been around for quite a while, they are using natural horns and Baroque trumpet (with vent holes). These some time do not sound quite like what people expect. I would assume this is new version isn't the same as the one on video?

By the way, Suzuki made a big thing about using true natural trumpet in his first recording. It sounded kind of weird to me. He didn't talk about it anymore for his second version. So I would assume he has given up on that idea too.

Sloppy in what way?

On their video version, which has been around for quite a while, they are using natural horns and Baroque trumpet (with vent holes). These some time do not sound quite like what people expect. I would assume this is new version isn't the same as the one on video?

By the way, Suzuki made a big thing about using true natural trumpet in his first recording. It sounded kind of weird to me. He didn't talk about it anymore for his second version. So I would assume he has given up on that idea too.

It's not the sound, it's the timing that sometimes is a bit wobbly to my ears. I'm big fan of the Freiburger elsewhere, be it on the Orchestral Suites, on Bejun Mehta's Ombra Cara, the Idomeneo, etc. etc.

I'll probably listen to the samples again, but I really have more than enough good Brandenburgs. On top of the ones listed by Boris75, there is Alessandrini, Fasolis, Egarr, and many others I like. Plus I still haven't purchased the recent Dunedin version which several here seemed to like.

It's not the sound, it's the timing that sometimes is a bit wobbly to my ears. I'm big fan of the Freiburger elsewhere, be it on the Orchestral Suites, on Bejun Mehta's Ombra Cara, the Idomeneo, etc. etc.

I'll probably listen to the samples again, but I really have more than enough good Brandenburgs. On top of the ones listed by Boris75, there is Alessandrini, Fasolis, Egarr, and many others I like. Plus I still haven't purchased the recent Dunedin version which several here seemed to like.

Musicophile

Just wanted to say thanks. You are indeed a great find on this site. I usually go with your recommendations. I admit to not being very well versed on Classical music, love to listen and always enjoy your recommendations.

Thanks again.

Musicophile

Just wanted to say thanks. You are indeed a great find on this site. I usually go with your recommendations. I admit to not being very well versed on Classical music, love to listen and always enjoy your recommendations.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your kind words. However, there are many other extremely knowledgable classical music experts on this site, like Accwai, Boris75, Christopher3393, etc., that I recommend following as well. Their recommendations are excellent!

Musicophile

Thanks again.

A strong +1 on this post. I too am indebted to Musicophile for a great deal of musical enjoyment with purchases based on his recommendations.

It's not the sound, it's the timing that sometimes is a bit wobbly to my ears. [...]

Just listened a little to the sampler. It probably isn't just the brass. There is a review for their old DVD on amazon that talks about a similar thing:

Amazon.com: Ghost(Ghost(M))'s review of Bach: Brandenburg Concertos / Freiburger B...

Don't know if root cause mentioned in there still applies, but seems like the symptom's still present. A quick comparison to the sampler of Dunedin Consort's version would illustrate this.

Sloppy in what way?

If you're thinking of the Dunedin, the samples sounded very good to me. But since I personally am an outright Savall fanboy, I would need something uniquely stunning to induce me to buy another version, and that wasn't it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.