IGNORED

How much storage do I need?

One that has failed and one that will fail!

.7 x the number of cds = max gigabytes of hdd needed

most cds have less than 700megabytes....so you should be fine this way.

With 400 cds I would get TWO 500gigabytes this way you have extra room. ONE main storage and a SECOND full backup! If your going to go through all the trouble you should back it up.

jr

My thoughts to the ideal solution to music storage is as follows...

First - use a RAID 1 or 5 based NAS, this will allow you some protection from failures of hard discs.

Secondly - take a full backup of the NAS regularly, either to a second NAS, to a USB/Firewire attached drive or to tape or other backup. Even better if you can keep this offsite. Certainly don't leave it attached to the computer. This second cop[y gives you protection from fire/theft, accidental deletion either of the files themselves or (as another poster managed) deletion of tags, etc. The offline backup can be spread across more than one disk if needed, but it's important it's readable without software IMO.

Not a cheep solution, but quite a robust one.

As for capacity ... 3-4 CDs fit into 1GB, and allow an extra 50-100% for expansion would be a good figure.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.