IGNORED

Case for Intel S1200KPR MoBo

Can people tell me what case they used for a server build based on the Inter S1200KPR motherboard? I have built one with a Streacom FC8 EVO and I think I am having cooling issues given the location of the 24 pin ATX. I don't have enough clearance above the Pang Pico card to use all 4 cooling pipes. I think my CPU is overheating since the box is shutting off.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Can people tell me what case they used for a server build based on the Inter S1200KPR motherboard? I have built one with a Streacom FC8 EVO and I think I am having cooling issues given the location of the 24 pin ATX. I don't have enough clearance above the Pang Pico card to use all 4 cooling pipes. I think my CPU is overheating since the box is shutting off.

David, the culprit of your overheating and shutdowns may have nothing to do with your FC8 EVO case or your CPU... I have found that the chipset (PCH) on the S1200KPR runs very hot and requires cooling for acceptable operation. This problem was solved by placing an extremely quiet 120mm fan over the chipset and powering it with an outboard P/S. The CPU and case work remarkably well to keep processor temps in the low 30 degree C range.

Verify your overheating problem wih a monitoring program that shows PCH temps.

David, the culprit of your overheating and shutdowns may have nothing to do with your FC8 EVO case or your CPU... I have found that the chipset (PCH) on the S1200KPR runs very hot and requires cooling for acceptable operation. This problem was solved by placing an extremely quiet 120mm fan over the chipset and powering it with an outboard P/S. The CPU and case work remarkably well to keep processor temps in the low 30 degree C range.

Verify your overheating problem wih a monitoring program that shows PCH temps.

You are 100% correct. I determined this last night with the help of Terry.

I don't see how I will be able to fit a 120mm fan in the case. Have you done this? If so, can you post a picture?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

So the last thing I wanted in an audio PC case was a fan!

Following the discovery of the PCH chip as the cause of high temps and shutdowns, I tried replacing the stock chipset cooler with a larger, all copper unit. The high temps and shutdowns persisted, they just took a little longer to show up.

It became apparent that the chipset expects airflow when I aimed a spare 80mm fan at it. Temps then stayed below 48C.

For a more permanent solution, I removed the top bracket to which the SSD is attached and simply placed a quiet 120mm silent fan oriented to flow air downward onto the chipset. After propping some wiring around the fan's frame, I selectively attached some sticky backed rubber where the frame met the heatsinks. NOT PRETTY but much better than constantly shutting down.

Final step was to reverse the pins on an outboard linear power supply such that the fan receives 5V rather than 12V. This step not only keeps the fan from drawing power from the mobo, but runs it at something less than half speed producing dead silent, adequate air flow.

This adventure was wholly unanticipated and significantly delayed what I assumed would be a simple build.

The system is running cool and quiet and sounds amazing with JRiver, JPlay, Phil's excellent script with a XEON E3-1265L V2 CPU.

I think that is what I am going to have to do too. If you could post a couple pictures that would be appreciated. If it is too difficult to do this I understand.

I think that is what I am going to have to do too. If you could post a couple pictures that would be appreciated. If it is too difficult to do this I understand.

I'll try to snap you some pics the next time I have the system out of the cabinet, de-connector'd, with the hood up.

Till then, lay a quiet 120mm fan horizontally over the chipset with downward airflow... apply power, verify that fan blades move freely and you're in business.

I temporarily put a fan on the bracket blowing down. The temps are way low. I just need a little help figuring out how to do this permanently without the HD bracket. Where do you rest your hard drive?

So the last thing I wanted in an audio PC case was a fan!

Following the discovery of the PCH chip as the cause of high temps and shutdowns, I tried replacing the stock chipset cooler with a larger, all copper unit. The high temps and shutdowns persisted, they just took a little longer to show up.

It became apparent that the chipset expects airflow when I aimed a spare 80mm fan at it. Temps then stayed below 48C.

For a more permanent solution, I removed the top bracket to which the SSD is attached and simply placed a quiet 120mm silent fan oriented to flow air downward onto the chipset. After propping some wiring around the fan's frame, I selectively attached some sticky backed rubber where the frame met the heatsinks. NOT PRETTY but much better than constantly shutting down.

Final step was to reverse the pins on an outboard linear power supply such that the fan receives 5V rather than 12V. This step not only keeps the fan from drawing power from the mobo, but runs it at something less than half speed producing dead silent, adequate air flow.

This adventure was wholly unanticipated and significantly delayed what I assumed would be a simple build.

The system is running cool and quiet and sounds amazing with JRiver, JPlay, Phil's excellent script with a XEON E3-1265L V2 CPU.

I just saw this thread, and think it's funny how I came to nearly the exact solution as you. I say "nearly" as I'm using a 92mm quiet fan propped up above the PCH. I knew my server was running warm, and I read where others had PCH heat issues. Mine has never shutdown, but my PCH temps were mid to high 90's C. I knew I needed to do something.

I hate ate the idea of using a fan as well. I'm VERY disappointed by this. My listening tests don't seem to show any negative effects from powering the fan from the motherboard, so this will be my long term solution.

Had I known about the PCH heat issue, I would have gone with a non-heatpipe case, and a silent fan CPU cooler that likely would have moved enough air to cool the near by PCH as well.

I just need a little help figuring out how to do this permanently without the HD bracket. Where do you rest your hard drive?

Its pretty much a "plop and prop" solution... plop the fan into the case and prop the SSD into an empty space as your SATA cable permits. Then quickly put the lid on the case and try to forget about the kludge inside.

Were this thread to be named "Chipset cooling for the Intel S1200KPR Mobo", we might all benefit from the experience of a larger audience.

I'm so sorry this didn't come up a week ago! I just ordered all the parts for the same build, including FC8 Evo, and seems like the need for a fan defeats the purpose of a fanless case, hence the need for spending on such a case. Good to know I'll be in good company, though! :-)

What drives heat on the chipset? Is it linked to some processes or something that can be lowered/deactivated?

What drives heat on the chipset? Is it linked to some processes or something that can be lowered/deactivated?

I wish I knew. Usually a chipset needs to be over clocked to run this hot. It can't be process related because I saw the heat problem with just the BIOS screen open.

I wish I knew. Usually a chipset needs to be over clocked to run this hot. It can't be process related because I saw the heat problem with just the BIOS screen open.

Are you running AudioPhil's Optimizer? I'm thinking he never mentioned this issue and he's running with FC7 or FC8, can't really remember.

Are you running AudioPhil's Optimizer? I'm thinking he never mentioned this issue and he's running with FC7 or FC8, can't really remember.

I am running Optimizer. Again, this has nothing to do with the heat issue.

Phil uses a fan cooled CPU cooler that either helps the PCH temps by moving enough air in the case, or Phil doesn't even realize that the PCH temps are too high. I didn't realize mine were too high until I checked. I'm guessing many don't know their PCH temps are too high unless they get a shutdown. Mine never shutdown in 4 months of use.

• 3 weeks later...