IGNORED

Problem: Noisy rips. Cause: Unknown. Desired: solution to overcome the obstacle preventing me from entering audiophile nirvana...

JME

Hi Alex,

All CPU- and case-fans that are connected to the mainboard are PWM controlled, even the stock ones. Do you happen to know what causes the difference?

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter

All I know is that low noise aftermarket fans deteriorate after a period of use with a PWM supply, which doesn't provide a smoothly variable DC supply but uses DC pulses to set the overall speed. This was done due to the extra heat generated if an onboard linear solution to fan control speed was used. I don't expect that the SOtM fan filter was developed to overcome an imaginary problem either, as pulsing DC to the fans may also reflect into other PSU areas as well as increasing the audible noise level from the fans.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Peter

All I know is that low noise aftermarket fans deteriorate after a period of use with a PWM supply, which doesn't provide a smoothly variable DC supply but uses DC pulses to set the overall speed. This was done due to the extra heat generated if an onboard linear solution to fan control speed was used. I don't expect that the SOtM fan filter was developed to overcome an imaginary problem either, as pulsing DC to the fans may also reflect into other PSU areas as well as increasing the audible noise level from the fans.

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

I did not make any reference to imaginary problems... My point was that many stock-fans are already PWM-driven. I simply do not understand why an aftermarket fan that also uses PWM should perform worse or, as you just mentioned, deteriorate in any other way than stock-fans. They usually have more reliable bearings and dust-protection, but the now-noise factor is caused by better engineered "propellers" (not sure if that is the right term).

In no way am I disputing DC pulses might cause audible effects, but I can not see how it might affect the physical noise-level of the fan, but I could be reading you wrong here...

Kind regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Peter

The imaginary problems comment was not aimed at you. I don't know for sure why aftermarket low noise fans should degrade due to being pulsed instead of a smooth variable DC supply, but it happened with 2 fans of the same make within 12 months or so. A thorough cleaning did not quieten them again. The 2 fans running in series only needed periodic removal of the dust build up and did not become physically noisy. Perhaps the PWM pulses should have been of a higher frequency with this particular motherboard ?

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Peter

The imaginary problems comment was not aimed at you. I don't know for sure why aftermarket low noise fans should degrade due to being pulsed instead of a smooth variable DC supply, but it happened with 2 fans of the same make within 12 months or so. A thorough cleaning did not quieten them again. The 2 fans running in series only needed periodic removal of the dust build up and did not become physically noisy. Perhaps the PWM pulses should have been of a higher frequency with this particular motherboard ?

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

I get it now. Maybe the problem is that the PWM-driven fans increase in speed rather abruptly, while other methods are more smooth? Dunno for sure.

Anyway, I think the OP can figure out things for himself from here...

Kind regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Hi Peter

The SOtM site isn't particularly helpful here either. It simply says

The SOtM FAN filter is a noise filter that upgrades PC sound by blocking noise from CPU Fan and system Fan.

•Ripple and RF noise filter used.

•Connect to FAN connector of mainboard directly

Kind Regards

Alex