IGNORED

Lack of Gain

Hoshi

I’m looking for some ideas and advice.

I’m currently using a late model Mac Mini 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 and Audirvana Plus 1.5.10. My DAC is a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC II. I eliminated my preamp a couple of years ago and have been extremely happy with this set up with my DAC directly coupled into my Rowland monoblocks. The PS Audio DAC had more than enough gain a while back to drive my system to more than adequate volume levels. I am not using iTunes integration mode.

Recently I’ve lost gain and I can’t play my music as loud as I like or had been able to in the past. Prior to my “Lack of Gain” issue, only on a handful of albums (maybe a half dozen out of 1000 CD rips) did I run into an issue with lack of gain. If I use a different source such as a Direct TV DVR connected coax out to the PS Audio DAC, I have no issues with volume and have more than enough gain.

I’m trying to think back on what may have caused this. I have not had any hardware of cable changes in my system so I have to think that software may be the culprit. Perhaps an OS update is the problem. I don’t believe I had this issue prior to downloading OS 10.8.5 or 10.9. I’ve check the volume output in my system setting all set at maximum on the MAC as well as the Audirvana Preferences audio active boost where it is set at +6db. The +6db or 0db setting seems to make little of no difference. I've also tried using an older version of Audirvana and have the same issue.

Has anyone else out there experienced this anomaly? I getting ready to try reinstalling an older operating system but only want to do this if it is a last resort.

Thank you for your time. I hope someone can come up with a simple solution.

Hoshi

I hate to ask such a stupid question, but did you check the master controls in Audio Midi?

I’m looking for some ideas and advice.

I’m currently using a late model Mac Mini 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 and Audirvana Plus 1.5.10. My DAC is a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC II. I eliminated my preamp a couple of years ago and have been extremely happy with this set up with my DAC directly coupled into my Rowland monoblocks. The PS Audio DAC had more than enough gain a while back to drive my system to more than adequate volume levels. I am not using iTunes integration mode.

Recently I’ve lost gain and I can’t play my music as loud as I like or had been able to in the past. Prior to my “Lack of Gain” issue, only on a handful of albums (maybe a half dozen out of 1000 CD rips) did I run into an issue with lack of gain. If I use a different source such as a Direct TV DVR connected coax out to the PS Audio DAC, I have no issues with volume and have more than enough gain.

I’m trying to think back on what may have caused this. I have not had any hardware of cable changes in my system so I have to think that software may be the culprit. Perhaps an OS update is the problem. I don’t believe I had this issue prior to downloading OS 10.8.5 or 10.9. I’ve check the volume output in my system setting all set at maximum on the MAC as well as the Audirvana Preferences audio active boost where it is set at +6db. The +6db or 0db setting seems to make little of no difference. I've also tried using an older version of Audirvana and have the same issue.

Has anyone else out there experienced this anomaly? I getting ready to try reinstalling an older operating system but only want to do this if it is a last resort.

Thank you for your time. I hope someone can come up with a simple solution.

Hoshi

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 3 weeks later...
I hate to ask such a stupid question, but did you check the master controls in Audio Midi?

Being an experienced PC user but MAC rookie, I did not realize that there is a buried Audio Midi setup under Utilities. When I first got your advise 4est, I had already found the Audio setting under System Preferences and assumed that's what you were referring to.

I'm actually quite surprised that others have not experienced this issue as well. Last night during a wind storm, we had the power go out long enough for the Mac Mini to reboot. When I was able to play music again using Audirvana, the Analog 1 and Analog 2 settings reverted back to -20db for both channels. Changing both setting at 0db gets the gain back to where it defaulted back with the previous OSX.

Thanks again 4est for your excellent suggestion. Until I was able to get my system dialed in again, I forgot how good my system rocks.