IGNORED

Dirac Live for Stereo pricing is fair, but...

I am in the trial period of Dirac with the money for the stereo version set aside. I used the trial version to measure a few positions (closer and farther from the speakers) with my MacBook and the Calibration Tool in the living room, transferred the project files to my MacPro in the study where I created the filters to run on the Audio Processor.

Now that I am all set to purchase the stereo version of the system I discover that the Dirac Live stereo version's license is only valid for 1 of my Macs. What is this? They provide a trial version that has more functions than the paid version?

I perfectly understand that they want to stop illegitimate uses of their s/w and that's fine, but how will a customer with a 1-seat version do the measurements... carry the MacPro to the living room?

Flavio, don't you think that in the stereo version you should at least allow the Live Calibration Tool to be installed in two machines? So, while I think pricing is fail overall, the 1-seat restriction for both, DAB and DLCT, is unfair imo. Can't Dirac reconsider this restriction for DLCT? Thanks.

Hello Danold,

mmm... interesting

your suggestion is aimed at making measurements possible in a different machine from the one which is used for playback even with a single license.

This would mean that each of the two applications, Dirac Live Correction Tool and Dirac Audio Processor, should be treated as a separate product with its own "license"... which does not seem impossible even if it involves changes in the licenses management system.

While I know that Dirac Research is quite "busy" at the moment I like your concept so I'll certainly talk about it,

thanks for your advice :)

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hello Danold,

mmm... interesting

your suggestion is aimed at making measurements possible in a different machine from the one which is used for playback even with a single license.

This would mean that each of the two applications, Dirac Live Correction Tool and Dirac Audio Processor, should be treated as a separate product with its own "license"... which does not seem impossible even if it involves changes in the licenses management system.

/QUOTE]

Thanks, Flavio, for responding. I don't know about licensing systems but I am pretty sure licensing DAP for one machine and the CT for two is not insurmountably difficult ;-)

This would do justice the typical different uses of the two applications. Would be great!

continued/ Take my situation: Like quite a few music lovers I do have a larger than average music library of 1TB+ (all ALAC) that does not fit on a laptop drive. This and other media are the reasons why I still have my MacPro placed in another room where I can't hear it when listening to music. The connection to the music system is by ethernet.

How could I possibly make measurements with the media machine in a different room?

Long usb cable, or temporarily move computer, or use free trial to do measurements and then the registered version for the playback.

It seems to me a more reasonable licensing scheme would permit one individual/family user, rather than one computer.

Moving a MacPro, heavy as hell (with 5 HDDs) and a Cinema Display and disconnecting all peripherals just for a 1 hour measurement to my living room is really unreasonable. If you have one at home you will know. At the end this object might even change the room acoustics....

A trial, if they permit it, would be an alternative. But I think my suggestion is not asking too much and protects their interests.

That's a good question, but I think you should be able to simply install it on a new computer, and then re-input your username and password.

That would actually be a reasonable solution to the above problem, BTW, since you wouldn't have to run two copies at once.

I just wish these companies would realize that people who are paying for this kind of software are not out to rip them off.