IGNORED

Is the digital output from a Lynx AES16 audibly better than a decent SPDIF/optical

dbdog

Ok folks, my XP music server died after 10 years of service and I need to replace it with a newer Win 7 server. I have a Lynx AES16 (the PCI version not PCI-express). This really limits the motherboards that I can use since most newer ones only support PCI-e.

So here's the question. If I'm only using it for playback (not recording) do I really need the AES16 at all to feed my Bryston BDA-1 with a perfect bitstream? Wouldn't any sound card with an SPDIF/Optical output sound the same? The rest of the audio system is fairly high res audiophile (Thiel speakers, Sim-Audio pre, Sunfire amp, MIT cables) so I'll be able to notice fairly subtle differences.

I've read many people talking about the sound quality difference between various digital feeds but if my BDA-1 locks in on the signal seems to me I'm in good shape. No?

If the answer is, hell yes the AES16's gonna blow the doors off another SPDIF card, how on earth do I get it into a PCI-e slot without a world of hurt? My days of hours of tinkering are behind me.

Many thanks

dbdog

Most people who previously used Lynx AES16 have moved to USB connections or USB to SPDIF converter often utilising a SotM PCIe USB card (or some the PPA alternative).

I believe though that the AES16 will be superior to the majority of soundcards via SPDIF.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.