IGNORED

Discovering Reggae

Now you've got me on it...although it didn't take too much :D

Long lost vinyl for me..but one of my favorites from way back. It's all rum drinks and sunny days, composition-wise

Culture

[video=youtube_share;FLt0h4ZfNOk]

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Long lost vinyl for me..but one of my favorites from way back. It's all rum drinks and sunny days, composition-wise

Culture

[video=youtube_share;FLt0h4ZfNOk]

Yes, and their first album 'Two Sevens Clash' has got to be one of the greatest reggae albums ever.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Yes, and their first album 'Two Sevens Clash' has got to be one of the greatest reggae albums ever.

One of the worst losses my collection has ever suffered...loved that one.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Peter Tosh has been on my list for quite a while. As I have listen to so much of the Wailers work, but never Peter Tosh or Bunny Wailer's solo work. Didn't know there was Hi - rez versions of Peter Tosh's albums. Are they any good?

Cheers Frank

I like them…but others might want to comment. Legalize It is a bit looser and wandering musically while Equal Rights is a bit tighter and focused. I might listen to Equal Rights before going on a run then Legalize It after my run, if that makes sense. Off Legalize It, I like the catchy "Whatcha Gonna Do" and "Brand New Second Hand" yarns, while "Stepping Razor" was on my pre-soccer game play list back in the day. Ha, I haven't thought of that in a while...

I don't have the CD copies so I can't comment on if these are superior (they are far better than my MP3 downloads from way back in early iTunes years). However, the DR's are fine, especially on Legalize It.

Best,

John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed folder: /HDTracks/Peter Tosh/Legalize It

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR12 -0.13 dB -14.39 dB 01-Legalize It.aif

DR12 -0.08 dB -13.51 dB 02-Burial.aif

DR12 -0.63 dB -14.10 dB 03-Whatcha Gonna Do.aif

DR13 -0.12 dB -14.14 dB 04-No Sympathy.aif

DR10 -0.15 dB -11.66 dB 05-Why Must I Cry.aif

DR10 -0.75 dB -12.11 dB 06-Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised).aif

DR12 -0.06 dB -13.70 dB 07-Ketchy Shuby.aif

DR11 -0.17 dB -12.76 dB 08-Till Your Well Runs Dry.aif

DR13 -0.35 dB -15.39 dB 09-Brand New Second Hand.aif

Number of files: 9

Official DR value: DR12

Analyzed folder: /HDTracks/Peter Tosh/Equal Rights

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR11 over -12.69 dB 01-Get Up, Stand Up.aif

DR11 -0.75 dB -12.50 dB 02-Downpressor Man.aif

DR9 -0.55 dB -11.74 dB 03-I Am That I Am.aif

DR9 -0.55 dB -11.21 dB 04-Stepping Razor.aif

DR11 -0.55 dB -12.36 dB 05-Equal Rights.aif

DR11 -0.55 dB -12.87 dB 06-African.aif

DR9 -0.55 dB -11.27 dB 07-Jah Guide.aif

DR11 -0.41 dB -12.51 dB 08-Apartheid.aif

Number of files: 8

Official DR value: DR10

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Savage, I have this album, when I brought it it didn't really do it for me, may not off heard this album for over 10 years. Hopefully in is sitting in the to be ripped pile, as I do like the link you have posted.

The whole 2-Tone thing was meant to of been very big in Japan looks like they have carried it on.

Cheers Frank

As a companion it is a little more interesting as it follows along song-by-by song to the Massive Attack...I could never decide which of the two I liked most but it took both to get the most out of the dub version.

Aside from the Japanese ska, check the Mexican revival ska. It brings a smile every time and is amazingly good. It seems like such a natural, great horns and Mexi-esque rhythm which isn't off ska beats.

Version based on "If I Could"...think Simon & Garfunkle

[video=youtube_share;6MJ_Yo-MSug]

Nina-fatale

[video=youtube_share;4iHJG0paMkI]

I can just image you skanking away in your front room :) enjoy

I like them…but others might want to comment. Legalize It is a bit looser and wandering musically while Equal Rights is a bit tighter and focused. I might listen to Equal Rights before going on a run then Legalize It after my run, if that makes sense. Off Legalize It, I like the catchy "Whatcha Gonna Do" and "Brand New Second Hand" yarns, while "Stepping Razor" was on my pre-soccer game play list back in the day. Ha, I haven't thought of that in a while...

I don't have the CD copies so I can't comment on if these are superior (they are far better than my MP3 downloads from way back in early iTunes years). However, the DR's are fine, especially on Legalize It.

Best,

John

Thanks John for the DR figures, I brought the remastered version of Legalize It CD, so hopefully all will be fine.

PS we call it Football over here :)

As a companion it is a little more interesting as it follows along song-by-by song to the Massive Attack...I could never decide which of the two I liked most but it took both to get the most out of the dub version.

Aside from the Japanese ska, check the Mexican revival ska. It brings a smile every time and is amazingly good. It seems like such a natural, great horns and Mexi-esque rhythm which isn't off ska beats.

So Ska has spread its wings from Jamaica, to the UK, USA, Japan and now Mexico. I can see how the Mexican rhythm could work with SKA.

Sorry starting backwards but you have to listen to Matysyahu especially the Live at Stubbs. Amazing he was really popular in the Indy scene but he has started to get more mainstream attention. Recommended

He is always being recommend to me by Last Fm, just read about him here

Thanks all for keeping the thread going.

One that was on my play list tonight. The Specials - You're Wondering Now

Cheers Frank

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> Cyrus 6VS> Dali Zensor 1

[video=youtube_share;efUuBEXCBDk]

Cool song! Have not heard it before. I need to add this album to my collection (Super Ape Inna Jungle).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Well, being Jamaica, i guess I should add something here.

I love Bob Marley, but more his hard chargeing albums like Rastaman Vibration and Survival.

Toots and the Maytals is probably my favourite group, up there would be Third World as well as Jakob "Killa" Miller and the Inner Circle Band.

Special mention would go to the Jamaicans, Foundation & Donovan, Niney, Mikal Rose from Black Uhuru, Eek-a-mouse, Melodians, Jimmy Cliff, Des Dekker, Junior Byles, Shabba Ranx, Eric Donaldson, the i3s, Lovindeer (spoofs), Tiger, Tenor Saw, Max Romeo, Delroy Wilson, Jazz Jamaica, The Techniques, The Upsetters,The Mighty Diamonds, Leroy Smart, Sugar Minott, Junior Delgado, Gregory Isaacs, Pinchers, Pliers, Winston McAnuff, the Meditations, Leroy Smart, Alton Ellis, FC Apatride, The Rastafarians, Doniki, Skatellites, etc.

The French label Makasound is a very good reggae label with lots of "old school" type reggae/ska/rock/mento steady.

Truth be told, Rock Steady may be my favourite Jam music genre!

Truth be told, Rock Steady may be my favourite Jam music genre!

I think pretty much my favourite ever Rock Steady album is 'Hottest Hits' that was released on the Virgin label in the late 70's:

ReggaeCollector.com - Various - Hottest Hits (From The Vaults Of Treasure Island) (Virgin Front Line UK)

I can't find the track listing by searching on google. I think 'Cry Tough' by Alton Ellis and the Flames is probably my favourite Jamaican music track ever released.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

[video=youtube;N-uyWAe0NhQ]

[video=youtube;-LdG4DgXObs]

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Oh, yeah, and...

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hello there

Another dub track from me from Dub Colossus its a rework of Althea & Donna- Uptown Ranking

Couldn't find it on you tube so here it is on Soundcloud Dub Colossus - Uptown Top Ranking (Negus Dub)

Its from the album Dub Me Tender which I got from B&W Society of Sound. A 24/48 bit download. Great detail to this album, and some very deep tuneful bass.

You can read more here.

Cheers Frank

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

Hello there

This easy number from Luciano- After All from Shake It Up Tonight was on the playlist tonight.

Cheers Frank

Toots has always been a real favorite. Jimmy Cliff also. Jimmy began making albums that stretched reggae quite a bit. One is called Give Thanxx. The first track, Bongo Man, on LP, has one of the deepest sound stages I've ever experienced. A drum circle, with call and response chanting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there

Well added too my collection this weekend. There was a record fair in Uxbridge, and my wife and daughter wanted to go shopping there so killed two birds with one stone. I also visit the Local HMV while there, not been in one off these for years.

This is what I picked up.

1. King Tubby - Crucial Dub
  2. King Tubby - Dub Fever
  3. Augustus Pablo - Skanking Easy

Not had a good chance to listen yet, but the collection is coming along nicely.

Cheers Frank

Hello there

Well added too my collection this weekend. There was a record fair in Uxbridge, and my wife and daughter wanted to go shopping there so killed two birds with one stone. I also visit the Local HMV while there, not been in one off these for years.

This is what I picked up.

1. King Tubby - Crucial Dub
  2. King Tubby - Dub Fever
  3. Augustus Pablo - Skanking Easy

Not had a good chance to listen yet, but the collection is coming along nicely.

Cheers Frank

^Great selections there!

Also check out "Scientist...Wins the World Cup"

CS1430196-02A-BIG.jpg

For Dub, I like a few of the Quango "Dubmission" series...Dubmission 1: The Remixes, and Dubmission 2: The Remixes:

51oOCJZvO5L._SS500_.jpg

I couldn't find the "Remixes 1" cover art, but I like it best...will try to scan it later.

Also like the "Hi-Fidelity Dub Sessions:" compilations...

"Chapter One, The Second Chapter, Chapter 4, and Roots Combination"

hifi_sessions_1.jpg

115300007.jpg

41S1AKWNHJL.jpg

front

roots_combination-roots_combination.jpg

back

Hi-Fidelity-Dub-Sessions-Roots-Combination.jpg

...And a select few of the old and new "King Size Dub" compilations are great:

51-venGuMeL.jpg

d65150iw6hw.jpg

41E6D6NY5FL.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello there

Just a little up date on some more recent purchases.

First off was a 2nd hand copy of the 2 disc version of Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend, the 2nd disc has extended/Dub versions of some tracks.

Been working near Oxford Street in London, so I just couldn't help myself and had to pop into the HMV there once or twice. Picked these up.

That lot should keep busy for a while.

Cheers Frank

How did you like the King Tubby and Augustus Pablo?

Trojan Presents: Rock Steady

I've found so much good reggae from compilation albums and there is no shortage of them in the genre.

How did you like the King Tubby and Augustus Pablo?

Trojan Presents: Rock Steady

I've found so much good reggae from compilation albums and there is no shortage of them in the genre.

Very much enjoying Augustus Pablo, thanks all for recommending him. Don't know how I missed him, but sure I will be buying more off his stuff. Some off it is so chilled out and some great bass lines, but not over done if you know what I mean, and that's the same with the Dub pieces.

One that's made it on my playlist.

Augustus Pablo - Black Ant Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjHIE596sdc

Happy with the King Tubby Albums, out off the two, I seem to listen more to the Crucial Dub more, but there is no real reason for this.

Another King Tubby album I have is King Tubby's in Fine Style

51YP6P9C8FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is a track from it, Channel One Feel It - Leroy Smart & The Aggrovators

There has been some great compilations recommended on this thread, these are a great way to start, also you would pick up tracks that are not available else where. One I have recommended in the past is Trojan Dub Box Set.

Jahlights - Right Road to Dubland

Well with summer coming and temperatures could reach 96 degrees in the shade, at least I have some nice tunes to listen to :)

Cheers all . Frank

Hey Frank, off thread but are you working near the Oxford Circus stop? I used to work on Argyll Street. Cool area!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hey Frank, off thread but are you working near the Oxford Circus stop? I used to work on Argyll Street. Cool area!

Blake

The job I was on was the new Coke Cola offices which is between Oxford Circus and Bond St. I was born and grew up not far from there, in Paddington, so I know the area well.

Cheers Frank