IGNORED

Discovering Reggae

Hello there

Since I have been ripping my CD collection to Flac I have started to rediscover reggae. Which I have notice on this forum, is not very often mentioned. There are a couple of threads about some Bob Marley albums, but not a lot more. I done a search and it came out with 3 pages, bet if you search Classical, Jazz or Rock the page count would be in the hundreds.

There are many types of Reggae, I listen to mainly Dub, Roots, Lover, SKA, some Rockers, and maybe some Reggae fusion. I do like the name Skinhead Reggae which I always called SKA.

Wikipedia Reggae genres

If you care to joy me on my rediscovering and have thoughts recommendations etc post away and lets enjoy this journey together. As I am no expert, I have more Reggae on Vinyl than CD, I think I sort of fell out off love with it. Lets say I have about 10 Reggae CD ripped so far.

First post for me has to start with Bob Marley & The Wailers, who are the best know Reggae Artists ever. Very hard to pick a track, as there are so many good ones. A personal fav of mine is Waiting in Vein from the album Exodus , but on another day it could of been something else. The track also features on many collection/Greatest hits albums. But if you have never heard of Bob Marley & The Wailers, 1) where have you been 2) The album Legend is a good place to start. Also there is a His-Rez version of this out now

Cheers Frank

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> Cyrus 6VS> Dali Zensor 1

Saved for Recomendations, hopefully I can edited this as and when.

Maybe a mod can let me know if I can do this?

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

I listen to a bit of reggae/dub/ska/rocksteady. I respect Bob Marley, but he doesn't really do it for me personally and yes, I know that makes me odd.

I like the older stuff from artists like Augustus Pablo, Junior Murvin, Scientist, King Tubby, The Upsetters, Prince Far I, etc. Augustus Pablo is the greatest in my book.

I detest slick or poppy sounding reggae (UB40 et. al.). If it is recorded in a fancy studio with a large budget, I don't want to hear it.

I like my rastas to be authentic. I want them stoned out of their brains, low budget, minimalist and hanging by a thread and I like it when that is reflected in the music. Sonically, its gotta be f**ked up sounding, totally dubbed-out, or simple/cheap sounding.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I detest slick or poppy sounding reggae (UB40 et. al.). If it is recorded in a fancy studio with a large budget, I don't want to hear it.

The old UB40, before their pop days, made solid music, but I completely agree with you on "pop" reggae with the exception of Shaggy. I always liked the Dragonairs, Skatalites and Desmond Dekker. On a slightly related note, I saw Reel Big Fish last night for the 2nd time- ska punk, while not really like old skool ska is a lot of fun.

The old UB40, before their pop days, made solid music, but I completely agree with you on "pop" reggae with the exception of Shaggy. I always liked the Dragonairs, Skatalites and Desmond Dekker. On a slightly related note, I saw Reel Big Fish last night for the 2nd time- ska punk, while not really like old skool ska is a lot of fun.

Good call- I like the Dragonairs, Skatalites and Desmond Dekker as well.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Like pizza & sex, even when it isn't great..it's pretty good.

Augustus Pablo

East of the River Nile

CS1648994-02A-BIG.jpg

Scientist

Introducing Scientist

Scientist_-_Introducing_Scientist-Best_Dub_Album_In_The_World-Vinyl-front.jpg

Burning Spear

Markus Garvey & Companion dub version Garvey's Ghost

76930.jpg

Rockers Meets King Tubbys in a Firehouse

Rockers%u00252BMeets%2BKing%2BTubby%2BIn%2BA%2BFire%2BHouse%2B1%2Blp.jpg

Ska-talites

One of the best shows I've ever seen. It started seeming long-ish, they were smoking so hard the club let them keep playing 2-3 hours past closing. A big no-no here.

skatalites.gif

Lee Perry...any and all

From mixing Marley to his own madness

[video=youtube_share;efUuBEXCBDk]

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Savage: Oh yeah, Lee Scratch Perry is great as well.

One of the best albums of this genre, Prince Far I's "Under Heavy Manners":

I completely agree with all posts here. Excellent records all the way.

Blake and Savage, I concur in your preferences for Augustus Pablo.

More Reggae:

From Lee Perry, I would recommend the "Arkology" compilation. A good bunch of tracks by The Upsetters, Junior Murvin, etc produced by this mad man.

Another personal weakness is "Heart of the Congos" by The Congos. A killer record.

Gregory Issacs has a lot of strongs tracks.

And another important musician, perhaps not as regarded as the previous:

horace_andy-skylarking_(best_of)-front.jpg

Horace Andy-Skylarking.

This is a compilation. No bad tracks here. I really love the soulful voice of this man. He is better known for putting vocals in Massive Attack debut album, but his discography is excellent.

Good reggae music always remembers me to a sunny sunset of midsummer. It makes me feel so good and alive, even nostalgic...

Btw it is easy to forget that dub music is easily one of the most assimilated avant-garde music genres out there. A lot of experimetal music started right there.

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

Btw it is easy to forget that dub music is easily one of the most assimilated avant-garde music genres out there. A lot of experimetal music started right there.

So true,

Genres, sub-genres, cross-genres, it's fueled so much of what we listen too. I think some of the original influence has long been lost as it has been absorbed into just music. I love the early on-u label recordings, it's hard to think they haven't had a direct effect of Thievery corp or the Massive Attack crowd.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I listen to a bit of reggae/dub/ska/rocksteady. I respect Bob Marley, but he doesn't really do it for me personally and yes, I know that makes me odd.

I like the older stuff from artists like Augustus Pablo, Junior Murvin, Scientist, King Tubby, The Upsetters, Prince Far I, etc. Augustus Pablo is the greatest in my book.

I like my rastas to be authentic. I want them stoned out of their brains, low budget, minimalist and hanging by a thread and I like it when that is reflected in the music. Sonically, its gotta be f**ked up sounding, totally dubbed-out, or simple/cheap sounding.

Blake,

I am 100% with you except the fact that I love Marley, as well.

While maybe a bit trite, I recommend to the OP that he watch and listen to soundtrack of "The Harder They Come" as well as seek out the many excellent recommendation here.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Peter Tosh

Artist | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Legalize It

HD886443933804_185.jpg

Equal Rights

HD886444020435_185.jpg

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Hello there

Wow, thanks all for the great response wasn't expecting this kind off feed back, and some great recommendations.

Blake nothing odd about it and its not the first time I have heard this. Also some like his more political stuff more that his softer stuff. I am a bit like Tne I am a fan.

Have some King Tubby, The Upsetters, but will look out for the others you mentioned.

Blake,

I am 100% with you except the fact that I love Marley, as well.

While maybe a bit trite, I recommend to the OP that he watch and listen to soundtrack of "The Harder They Come" as well as seek out the many excellent recommendation here.

Tne have The Harder They Comeon vinyl but not heard it for years, thanks for the recommendation.

I always knew that the subject of UB40 would come up, they are a bit like Marmite, its a love or hate thing.

The old UB40, before their pop days, made solid music, but I completely agree with you on "pop" reggae with the exception of Shaggy.

Agree about UB40, I would say up to the album UB44, and before the released the single Red Red Wine, which I can't stand. They produce so good stuff. It may be a bit of a personal thing with me because I have been listening to there first Signing Off since it came out in 1980.

I always liked the Dragonairs, Skatalites and Desmond Dekker. On a slightly related note, I saw Reel Big Fish last night for the 2nd time- ska punk, while not really like old skool ska is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the Ska recommendations. Ska Punk, does that mean I can talk about The Specials :)

Cheers Frank

Like pizza & sex, even when it isn't great..it's pretty good.

Burning Spear

Markus Garvey & Companion dub version Garvey's Ghost

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10426[/ATTACH]

I have this one, good album. Thanks for the others.

I completely agree with all posts here. Excellent records all the way.

Blake and Savage, I concur in your preferences for Augustus Pablo.

More Reggae:

From Lee Perry, I would recommend the "Arkology" compilation. A good bunch of tracks by The Upsetters, Junior Murvin, etc produced by this mad man.

Another personal weakness is "Heart of the Congos" by The Congos. A killer record.

Gregory Issacs has a lot of strongs tracks.

And another important musician, perhaps not as regarded as the previous:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10429[/ATTACH]

Horace Andy-Skylarking.

This is a compilation. No bad tracks here. I really love the soulful voice of this man. He is better known for putting vocals in Massive Attack debut album, but his discography is excellent.

Good reggae music always remembers me to a sunny sunset of midsummer. It makes me feel so good and alive, even nostalgic...

Horace Andy, brought this album on the back of the work he done with massive attack, there just something about his voice.

Just before Christmas was taking my mum food shopping as there was going to be 13 off us around for dinner on boxing day and she needed a hand, being 74 years of age. Spying Glass by Massive Attack was paying on the way in the car, and out off the blue my mum just turn round and said the man singing this has a very nice voice lol. At 74 she isn't a bad judge.

Hope you don't mind me posting this on here, is this what they call Reggae Fusion:)

Gregory Issacs another Fav off mine.

Cheers Frank

No Protection is the dub version of the Massive Attack album with Mad Professor.

The Mad Professor stuff is more hit or miss for me, but a huge catalog worth investigating.

There is some good Japanese ska that captures some of the late 70s/ early 80s ska spirit you may like too

[video=youtube_share;kLYLrcLgfOk]

Hello there

Peter Tosh

Artist | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Legalize It

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10434[/ATTACH]

Equal Rights

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10435[/ATTACH]

Best,

John

Peter Tosh has been on my list for quite a while. As I have listen to so much of the Wailers work, but never Peter Tosh or Bunny Wailer's solo work. Didn't know there was Hi - rez versions of Peter Tosh's albums. Are they any good?

I can see this thread costing me money :)

How about Joe Higgs? I think an earlier influence to many.

Had never heard of him, but this was my morning read.

Cheers Frank

Btw it is easy to forget that dub music is easily one of the most assimilated avant-garde music genres out there. A lot of experimental music started right there.

I really like the 'Evolution of Dub' series of 4 album boxed sets on Greensleeves records.

http://greensleevesrecords.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/evolution-of-dub-vol6-was-prince-jammy.html

Each CD is an original album and if you get the 7 or 8 boxed sets you have a comprehensive coverage of the history of dub.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

No Protection is the dub version of the Massive Attack album with Mad Professor.

The Mad Professor stuff is more hit or miss for me, but a huge catalog worth investigating.

There is some good Japanese ska that captures some of the late 70s/ early 80s ska spirit you may like too

[video=youtube_share;kLYLrcLgfOk]

Savage, I have this album, when I brought it it didn't really do it for me, may not off heard this album for over 10 years. Hopefully in is sitting in the to be ripped pile, as I do like the link you have posted.

The whole 2-Tone thing was meant to of been very big in Japan looks like they have carried it on.

Cheers Frank

I really like the 'Evolution of Dub' series of 4 album boxed sets on Greensleeves records.

Greensleeves Records: The Evolution Of Dub Vol.6 - Was Prince Jammy An Astronaut? (next to last volume of the series)

Each CD is an original album and if you get the 7 or 8 boxed sets you have a comprehensive coverage of the history of dub.

Now that does look like a massive set, Thanks Richard.

A Dub box set that I have is the Trojan Dub Box Set It covers the 1970s peak of dub over 3 CD, with tracks from Lee 'Scratch' Perry and his Upsetters, Gregory Issacs, King Tubby,Roots Radics, Tommy McCook and more.

One from this box set that is a regular on my playlists is King Tubby's patient dub - King Tubby

This weeks purchase had to be a reggae album, just brought Peter Tosh 's - Legalize It on CD.

Cheers Frank

A Dub box set that I have is the Trojan Dub Box Set It covers the 1970s peak of dub over 3 CD, with tracks from Lee 'Scratch' Perry and his Upsetters, Gregory Issacs, King Tubby,Roots Radics, Tommy McCook and more.

One from this box set that is a regular on my playlists is King Tubby's patient dub - King Tubby/QUOTE]

Yes, great stuff! Those Trojan boxed sets were all excellent and I have the Dub Box set with Patient Dub - I've just had a look and I've got 9 of them, but I wish now I had bought every one of them. The sound quality is good for Reggae/Rock Steady etc music too, and good sleeve notes.

I like Peter Tosh's solo albums like 'Legalize It'. Also Bunny Wailer's solo albums (he was also from Bob Marley's group) like 'Blackheart Man' and 'Bunny Wailer Sings the Wailers' are also really good.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot